Extension of Stay - Retirement

HI Guys,

Would appreciate your expertise / advice on the following.

I am due to renew my extension of stay based on retirement early next month, problem is I am trapped outside Thailand due to Covid 19, but my expat wife is currently in Thailand.

She gets her extension of stay based on a dependent of a retiree allowed to stay by extension, So problem I cannot return to Thailand to renew my extension of stay so my wife's extension would expire.

Does the amnesty announced allow us an extension until I can return and do my normal extension at immigration? If not what are my options (considering my wife is currently in Thailand)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advise. 

I am not sure how immigration will handle it.

The best thing for her to do is to contact your local immigration office about it. She could stay but she might have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa when possible.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure how immigration will handle it.

The best thing for her to do is to contact your local immigration office about it. She could stay but she might have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa when possible.

Thanks Ubonjoe, In worst case scenario we would have to start again, go out / return on a tourist exempt and then go to immigration and convert to an O visa. Is this correct?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nufc23 said:

Thanks Ubonjoe, In worst case scenario we would have to start again, go out / return on a tourist exempt and then go to immigration and convert to an O visa. Is this correct?

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

But your wife would have to go to a nearby embassy or or consulate to apply for a non-o visa. Immigration does not do the visa for family members of those on extensions based upon retirement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

But your wife would have to go to a nearby embassy or or consulate to apply for a non-o visa. Immigration does not do the visa for family members of those on extensions based upon retirement.

I'm. trapped in third country, so not possible to apply for non-o without returning to UK, so we would both have to go to a nearby embassy/consulate to apply. But can you not you not convert a visa exempt to an non O in Thailand after you return?

42 minutes ago, nufc23 said:

But can you not you not convert a visa exempt to an non O in Thailand after you return?

As I wrote you can get a non immigrant visa at immigration with a tourist or visa exempt entry since you will qualify for an extension based upon retirement.

Your wife cannot apply for one due to immigration not being able to do one for the type of extension your wife will qualify for.

This list from the immigration website is for those that qualify for the visas. Yours is number 8.

image.png.097438468769fb2fb7214f5e368dd8bc.png

Source after translating to English (Google translate). https://division1.immigration.go.th/content/change_visa

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote you can get a non immigrant visa at immigration with a tourist or visa exempt entry since you will qualify for an extension based upon retirement.

Your wife cannot apply for one due to immigration not being able to do one for the type of extension your wife will qualify for.

This list from the immigration website is for those that qualify for the visas. Yours is number 8.

image.png.097438468769fb2fb7214f5e368dd8bc.png

Source after translating to English (Google translate). https://division1.immigration.go.th/content/change_visa

Thanks for all the help

23 hours ago, nufc23 said:

yes, and its very easy

My wife's visa is as a dependent on my retirement visa.

Last year I asked about her getting her own retirement visa and they said at time of renewal provided she has the money in the bank or proof of income just come in with the normal papers and she will get her own retirement visa.

Could the OP (or rather his wife) do that?

The biggest stumbling block I see is that the income or money in the bank will not be seasoned.