100 people visit Finance Ministry after being denied Bt5,000 handout

webfact

38 minutes ago, champers said:

The PM's tag line for this scheme is "Nobody left behind" but reality is the exact opposite for millions of vulnerable and needy people.

Maybe they got their wires crossed and actually meant "Almost everybody left behind"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I understand their anger and frustration.

But instead of directing their anger at the ministers, they should understand that a huge number of Thai people saw this as a free-for-all money buffet. So many people tried to register in the hopes of getting free money, even though they knew that they were not eligible.

That's one of the reasons this process is very slow and filled with flaws.

Infinito Corruptio

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Most of the group were taxi drivers and merchants who lost their income amid the Covid-19 crisis.

They said they did not receive the money because the system showed that they were business owners and farmers, which they were not.

Afaik taxi drivers are usually not employed, thus they are (one man) businesses, making them business owners.

When using the word "merchants", i assume they are not talking about Big C employees, but people who have their own business.

To me it sounds they are all business owners, but they claim they are not?

7 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

But instead of directing their anger at the ministers, they should understand that a huge number of Thai people saw this as a free-for-all money buffet. So many people tried to register in the hopes of getting free money, even though they knew that they were not eligible.

Infinito Corruptio

Most people were eligible except those covered by social security..... 

Now is the time one of those Thai flowcharts would come in handy to follow the money trail on this one....

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

Infinito Corruptio

The main reason is that a lot of people have no idea if they are eligible or not

My friend has been told because she is not a farmer she is not - that is total rubbish

Have a good look who is eligible according to the Govt announcement - can you work out which professions are eligible? Because I can't and Thais can't either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

The main reason is that a lot of people have no idea if they are eligible or not

My friend has been told because she is not a farmer she is not - that is total rubbish

Have a good look who is eligible according to the Govt announcement - can you work out which professions are eligible? Because I can't and Thais can't either

I absolutely agree with you - it's impossible to comprehend who is eligible or not.

But, I live in a Middle/Hi-So "moo baan" and I think more than 75% of the inhabitants have applied for this handout. They are living in 10-20 mill. thb houses, and still believe they should get a piece of the action. I get pretty upset when I hear this, but I know when to keep my mouth closed - that's why I type it here instead ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

So much for social distancing these people dont seem to consider theirs or anybody's health only money .

Social distending is really secondary when you don't have money to eat. I wouldn't care for covid-19 if I ran out of money to feed my children. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

My regular moto taxi guy used to earn 800-1,000 per day. Now less than 200 per day. Have wife and 2 children in high school to support.

Their anger is totally understandable. This is not about the money, now it's about basic survival for many Thai people.

22+ million applicants / only 1.6 million accepted applications until now.

Brace for a coming storm.

Most likely a storm of back flips from the Government.

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I really hope this turns nasty for them. That´s the only way they will learn to not play with their citizens life and possibilities to take care of themself. 

Totally agree. Once the middle class Thais who were making 30,000 or 35,000 baht run out of cash, which is going to be very soon, then this no longer is an issue only for the poor people. Middle class Thais are beyond angry about the government's handling of anything, and there will be millions of hungry, angry people with nothing left to lose who will be unstoppable. 

• Like 1

My sons football team was told if they won their next match they would be taken for a kfc , they won but then the teacher said he didn’t think they would win so no kfc , said it to make himself look good , I was told can’t talk about it not good speak about it

53 minutes ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

Totally agree. Once the middle class Thais who were making 30,000 or 35,000 baht run out of cash, which is going to be very soon, then this no longer is an issue only for the poor people. Middle class Thais are beyond angry about the government's handling of anything, and there will be millions of hungry, angry people with nothing left to lose who will be unstoppable. 

What might the reaction be with Thais being denied right and left over ฿5000 if it also got around to the general Thai population that American citizens are getting a stimulus deposit starting at ฿38,400+ if they work or not?  No application needed and an additional ฿16,000 for each legal dependant.  And small businesses can apply for a stimulus package as well.  Plus those on unemployment get a stimulus bonus of ฿19,200 on top of their monthly unemployment benefit.  This is what TRULY "no one left behind" looks like.  Do as you say does not seem to apply here.

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

So much for social distancing these people dont seem to consider theirs or anybody's health only money .

There is no social distancing at the supermarkets! These people are without money, I feel for them. They are representative of millions that were refused on spurious grounds. The ministry need to get their act together and pay these people. 

• Like 2