Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Thaivisa announces new charity partnership with the Samaritans of Thailand

Recommended Posts

I knew the Samaritans operated associated groups operated in many countries although often not using the Samaritans manner but I'd never heard of them in Thailand. I was a volunteer for the Sams in the UK many years ago and I think it's a great idea.

 

My only confusion is the fact that English language calls are made by Thais who are fluent in English. Whilst there's nothing wrong with that it seems to suggest that anyone who isn't Thai isn't welcome as a volunteer. If that's the case then that's totally at odds with the concept that I knew. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kimamey, I don’t think that’s what the article means to imply.  I’m sure they welcome non-Thai volunteers if they are available.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called the english language number last year as I wanted to volunteer and help them out. I dont speak Thai but I thought there must be falangs who need this service. Recorded message saying they would get back to me. No reply, nothing, ??? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uzbek said:

Kimamey, I don’t think that’s what the article means to imply.  I’m sure they welcome non-Thai volunteers if they are available.

I certainly hope that's true but the way its worded its not the impression it gives unfortunately and that's the important part. 

 

Having said that maybe someone from ThaiVisa or Samaritans of Thailand will read this and clarify this issue. One of the problems that was always present during my time with the Samaritans was lack of volunteers. If Samaritans of Thailand need volunteers they need to make sure they are welcoming. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deadbeat said:

I called the english language number last year as I wanted to volunteer and help them out. I dont speak Thai but I thought there must be falangs who need this service. Recorded message saying they would get back to me. No reply, nothing, ??? 

Well done for making the effort. If they do need help then hopefully they'll read this thread and reach out to those like you who are prepared to give their time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Samaritans Thailand haven't got any foreign volunteers at the moment simply because there has been a shortage of foreign volunteers. But anyone is welcome to put themselves forward. I understand all volunteers go through training and assessment of about 6 months before they can take calls. 

 

I understand in the past there have been several foreign volunteers but they have since left Thailand.

 

For anyone who wishes to put them themselves forward as a volunteer, please PM your contact details and I will pass them on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redoubt said:

Friends, I am so pleased to see an article like this during this world wide crisis.  As an Expat residing in a rural village in the Isaan Region, Sakon Nakhon Province, I did something a few days ago which certainly is an option all of us in like locations can consider.  I purchased 15 bags of rice at a Tesco Lotus store in Sawang Daen Din, and then I ascertained the single most destitute family in my village; which happened to also have several little children.  We arranged to give the father 5 bags; which overwhelmed him apparently.  Next we gave the village Head Man 5 bags requesting that the rice be distributed evenly to the most needy families he is aware of.  And, finally we delivered 5 bags to our local Wat for the Monks to discharge as they deemed necessary.  Doing this type of action is so important in times like this.

Yes that's a great idea.  Thanks for sharing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Samaritans Thailand haven't got any foreign volunteers at the moment simply because there has been a shortage of foreign volunteers. But anyone is welcome to put themselves forward. I understand all volunteers go through training and assessment of about 6 months before they can take calls. 

 

I understand in the past there have been several foreign volunteers but they have since left Thailand.

 

For anyone who wishes to put them themselves forward as a volunteer, please PM your contact details and I will pass them on. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I could do it now unfortunately not least because I trend top be here slightly less than 6 months and even then it's often split so the training would be a problem to start with. I can't remember how long my training in the UK was but I'm sure it wasn't 6 months but then that was 20 years ago so maybe things have changed since then. Actually one of the things that sticks in my memory was the amazing training. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Samaritans Thailand does'nt have any foriegn volunteers at the monent. Well why have'nt they asked for some? Are they content to leave it that way? Is this a Thai only service?  This has to be the only mental health hotline with a call back service that does'nt call back.

 

Thaivisa happy with this?

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So would you not require a visa for that. Unsure what type, and how many trees you would have to chop down to get it. Also how many days at the io to have it processed. And then what impact would it have on your current visa? ... Just a few thoughts to ponder. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

So would you not require a visa for that. Unsure what type, and how many trees you would have to chop down to get it. Also how many days at the io to have it processed. And then what impact would it have on your current visa? ... Just a few thoughts to ponder. 

A good point and one that unusually for me I hadn't thought about. I think you can get permission to do voluntary work although I've no idea how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thai laws make it almost impossible to do something for others, for free, without getting into trouble yourself

 

except give money to monks, for karma

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...