Non chlorine pool shock

MoD1977

Non-chlorine shocking is done by adding more oxidizer to the water, but in a form that is not chlorine. The chemical most commonly used is potassium monopersulfate. It can help with oxidants, but will not add disinfecting power. We have no call for it and don't stock it. Some of the very large chemical manufacturers in Thailand might have it but it would only be available in 25Kg sacks. In some countries it's marketed as  Caroat or Oxone.

Superchlorination is by far and away the most widely used and accepted practice for addressing high combined chlorine. Superchlorination is dumping an excess of free chlorine (the industry standard is 10x the level of combined chlorine, though that's more than necessary), into the pool.

A more radical method - which may indeed prove to be more economical - is to drain some of the water and refill with fresh, unchlorinated water

• Like 1

my problem is that the combined chlorine is off the chart from my teststrips (highest level 500ppm)

I would need to raise the chlorine level to at least 5000 ppm to break up the combined chlorine - I think impossible

drain and refill is also not an option at the moment because we have extreme Watershortage in our area

Only way to go is a chlorine free shock in my opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

my problem is that the combined chlorine is off the chart from my teststrips (highest level 500ppm)

I would need to raise the chlorine level to at least 5000 ppm to break up the combined chlorine - I think impossible

drain and refill is also not an option at the moment because we have extreme Watershortage in our area

Only way to go is a chlorine free shock in my opinion.

It is a manually dosed or a salt chlorination system?

Manual - 10 x is not necessary. Try double or triple what you normally put in if hand dosed.

Salt - When hydrochloric acid is used the chlorine readings increase. You may want to dump a couple of litres of that in and see what results you get after a few days. Obviuosly don't swim till the pH comes up a tad!

On 4/14/2020 at 7:43 PM, MoD1977 said:

I would need to raise the chlorine level to at least 5000 ppm to break up the combined chlorine

Much depends on how you have been chlorinating your pool.

If you were to put 5,000ppm of chlorine in the pool, you would be swimming almost in neat chlor which would be extremely dangerous and there would be a pungent smell of chlor in the entire neighbourhood. Check whatever method you are using for measuring your chlor and recalibrate it, or consider investing in a more accurate and reliable form of pool water tester. Note: We do sell test strips, but only because customers keep asking for them every time we remove them from our catalogue; we wouldn't ever recommend them to anyone.

1. If you are using a salt water chlorinator, do check its settings.

2. If you chlorinate manually, it is essential to use the right amount of chlorine powder, granules, or tablets, and test the water for chlor & pH every THREE or FOUR days until you know how much chemicals to add accurately.

3. If you chlorinate manually and are using stabilised chlorine of the type that is manufactured and sold for swimming pool use, it will contain Cyanuric Acid stabiliser. This CYA is good for your wallet because it saves on expensive chlor, but it does not get used up - it stays in the water. Every time you add T.C.C.A (stabilised chlor) you are adding more and more CYA and after a while, when the CYA reaches a certain level, it blocks the function of the chlor. The only solution to that is to drain off some of the water or wait untill the rainy season really gets going - it will only take 4 or 5 typical late afternoon downpours to change out the entire volume of your pool - assuming of course that it's an outdoor pool and has no roof or awning over it.

For more professional advice, you may wish to consult our special Chlorine Guide for swimming pools.  If you consult 20 different web sites, you'll get 20 different answers. The information we disseminate is based not only on our experience which goes back to 1974 in Europe, but also on independent scientific reports commissioned far more recently by governments of US and Australian states for their laws on the disinfection of school, public, and commercial pools and spas.

Edited by SwimmingPoolsThailand
missing words