Short crust party recipe - foolproof.

james.d

Can anyone provide a foolproof short crust pastry recipe please?

I tried twice using different recipes from google but both times it turned out mushy and l didn't even bother baking with it.

My kitchen gets rather warm if that has any bearing the mixing/prep. 

Any flour recommendations?

Just fancied a mince and onion pie.

Many thanks.

120gm all purpose flour + 40 gm solid fat of your choice, I use solid palm oil (add sugar if you want a sweeter pastry).

mix the flour and fat until it looks like bread crumbs.

mix in small amounts of milk until the mix makes a dough.

Roll out using more flour to stop it sticking to the rolling pin (I use her somtam pounder)

Use milk to stick edged together if required.

Brush milk on top and a sprinkle of sugar if you want sweeter still.

Cook at 170c.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, james.d said:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I used the swan baking flour red label I think.. Do you use the same?

Thanks again

Not sure but it is "all purpose" and I get it in Makro.

• Thanks 1

If you want really great shortcrust pastry remember the rule, you need minimum 1/2 fat to flour. The flour should be all purpose flour. Butter can be ether salted or unsalted

An example would be 1 x 225gm (or thereabouts) of Butter. I use 100% butter, not the butter blend, 450gm of all purpose flour, 3 egg yolks (which also add to the fat content to get a first class texture pastry). a good pinch of salt and 4 tablespoons chilled water.

Remember do not kneed pastry, Once combined just wrap it in plastic wrap or a tea towel and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.

175c for about 25 minutes.

If you want a sweet shortcrust at any time for say fruit pies, just add 75g of castor sugar to the flour at the start.

• Thanks 1

1 of flour

1/2 of butter

1/4 of sugar if its sweet

Otherwise salt for savoury.

The important thing is to work the butter and flour by hand.

When the mix starts to make small lumps that break with the hand, it is time to stop working the pastry. Regardless.. 

From an old chef...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

120gm all purpose flour + 40 gm solid fat of your choice, I use solid palm oil (add sugar if you want a sweeter pastry).

mix the flour and fat until it looks like bread crumbs.

mix in small amounts of milk until the mix makes a dough.

Roll out using more flour to stop it sticking to the rolling pin (I use her somtam pounder)

Use milk to stick edged together if required.

Brush milk on top and a sprinkle of sugar if you want sweeter still.

Cook at 170c.

Hi BRT, l searched online for the solid palm oil you mentioned to no avail and from memory haven't seen it in foodland or tesco.

Could you supply the brand please.

Thank you.

51 minutes ago, james.d said:

Hi BRT, l searched online for the solid palm oil you mentioned to no avail and from memory haven't seen it in foodland or tesco.

Could you supply the brand please.

Thank you.

Several brands in the bakery stores.

I get Samson Gold from YoK in Chiang Mai, about 42bht/kg.

• Thanks 1

The only short crust pastry I make these days is Rose Levy Beranbuam’s cream cheese pastry. Just google it and you’ll find the recipe. Easy to make, very easy to roll out and very tasty, cant adk for more . . . 

On 4/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, james.d said:

My kitchen gets rather warm

This is where the problem almost certainly lies.  The fat is melting.  (It's not supposed to until the pastry is in the oven.)

Best to turn the aircon in your kitchen on a couple of hours before you start baking to a low temperature.  Perhaps put the flour and the bowls into the fridge to help them cool down.  Consider freezing the butter and grating it into the flour.  Then, if you're lucky, you might have a bit more success.

Incidentally, hard fats have a higher melting point than butter, so are easier to work with, but they don't taste as good.

Personally, I've largely given up on making pastry in Thailand.  Now I just buy it ready made.

• Thanks 1

I did the short crust plate mince pie but as pointed out, my kitchen is too warm especially with the oven on. The pastry melted very fast even after being in the fridge.

I followed this recipe using a food processor.

https://youtu.be/MAeUc_a88sw

He has a large following with many homely recipe.

Thanks for the assistance provided to this thread.

IMG_20200420_154626.jpg

Not having the luxury of an air conditioned kitchen I devised this method for working with pastry.

I purchased a piece of granite that fits inside my freezer. I put the stone in the freezer overnight.

I use a tray slightly bigger than the stone with supports to keep the stone off the bottom of the tray and fill with ice and water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1