When can we buy alcohol again?

Oxx

6 hours ago, thedemon said:

Nonthaburi has extended the ban from the 20th to the 30th. That would seem a bit pointless if not expecting Bangkok to do the same.

There are lots of things you get from Thai authorities which are pointless.

2 hours ago, Scotssing said:

If alcohol is banned for preventing a few dozen covid-19 deaths wouldn't it be a good idea to ban it to prevent the 20000+ annual carnage on the roads where about half are due to alcohol. As a beer and wine drinker myself I would be pretty miffed but the logic is there 

You can afford wine??? ????:clap2:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Right now at any small shop, bring a cloth bag so it is not obvious. 

Have you tried or just repeating yet another TVF "fallacy"? they are all scared to sell where I am, also they keep very small amount of stock! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

you can make your own and drink it in 2-3 days

plenty of videos on you tube.  condoms used for airlocks - 555

Have you tried this skallywag, it has to be a bit ropey after 3 days, it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for wine to ferment and then a month and up to a year to condition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

The alcohol ban is what you get when an extreme religious fundamentalist takes power by force against the will of the people.

He wants to control everyone, eliminate critical thinking and take the country back several hundred years.

Prayut taking over Thailand is like the ayatollah taking over Iran. Thailand will have to endure a period of repression and darkness. Maybe a long period. History will not be kind to him.

Missing alcohol much?

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Have you tried this skallywag, it has to be a bit ropey after 3 days, it usually takes 2 or 3 weeks for wine to ferment and then a month and up to a year to condition.

No I haven't vogie.  So your Pineapple wine has been fermented for several weeks I take it?

Was really a joke. 

Youtube people are not to be trusted I know, yet one claimed 3 days and 26% - think they used turbo yeast for that one.  Fortified.

Always wanted to set up a still.  local hardware store open, could try my luck at moonshine - 555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

No I haven't vogie.  So your Pineapple wine has been fermented for several weeks I take it?

Was really a joke. 

Youtube people are not to be trusted I know, yet one claimed 3 days and 26% - think they used turbo yeast for that one.  Fortified.

Always wanted to set up a still.  local hardware store open, could try my luck at moonshine - 555

I actually made the wine about a year ago but haven't really bothered with it too much, with this crisis I thought I'd give it a try, in all honesty it tastes better than the Thai fruit wines. I made a 5 gallon batch, the cost of the pineapples cost about one hundred baht, half a bag of sugar and some wine yeast, about another 100 baht.

My wine is about 14%, 26% seems a bit high with only one fermentation. Bakers yeast should get you about 6 - 8%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Have you tried or just repeating yet another TVF "fallacy"? they are all scared to sell where I am, also they keep very small amount of stock! 

Yep, I was just denied at the condo minimarket.  Good thing I have 40 beers in my fridge.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

From Bangkok, the closest places to get alcohol:

Rayong:   alcohol sales resume Thursday, April 16

Ayuttaya:  alcohol sales resume Friday, April 17

Chachoengsao, Ratchaburi, Pathumthani:  alcohol sales resume Monday, April 20

Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nonthaburi, Bangkok: alcohol sales resume Tuesday April 21

Samut Songkram, Nakon Prathom, Chonburi: alcohol sales resume Friday May 1

Although from above it sounds like Nonthaburi may have changed to align with Nakon Prathom.

Starting to feel like I am back in Kentucky, USA. Some of the 120 counties are “dry” (no alcohol sales allowed ... ever). Some counties are “wet” (alcohol sales allowed). Then we have “semi dry” ... never mind! Yes, of course, you can jump in your car and go to a neighboring county. Welcome to the US “Bible Belt”! Careful, we have similar regulation in Islamic countries. The unifying motivation? Making secular law agree with religion ... At least in Thailand, currently, there is some rational of discouraging gatherings for Songkran.

Edited by wwest5829

35 minutes ago, vogie said:

I actually made the wine about a year ago but haven't really bothered with it too much, with this crisis I thought I'd give it a try, in all honesty it tastes better than the Thai fruit wines. I made a 5 gallon batch, the cost of the pineapples cost about one hundred baht, half a bag of sugar and some wine yeast, about another 100 baht.

My wine is about 14%, 26% seems a bit high with only one fermentation. Bakers yeast should get you about 6 - 8%. 

Where did you get the wine yeast? I assume online but is there a source in Thailand, or did you need to import?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lee b said:

I know a Thai women who runs an alcohol shop in Chiang Mai. The ban here is until the 20th, but she said it could be extended until the 30th, so who knows? Nothing we can do if it does get extended.

Another swathe of shop owners driven out of business ......... how high will the government drive the unemployment?

Presumably with no income, they won't be able to pay their rent.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Where did you get the wine yeast? I assume online but is there a source in Thailand, or did you need to import?

There used to be quite a few homebrew shops in Bangkok, but I checked for them the other day and there now only appears to be a couple.

I also checked Lazada and they have the satchets of Lalvin yeast for 149 baht, but I have also seen some Angel yeast from China for about 255 - 900 baht for bulk buying, might buy some and see how it goes.

Just google homebrew shops in Bangkok.

19 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Starting to feel like I am back in Kentucky, USA. Some of the 120 counties are “dry” (no alcohol sales allowed ... ever). Some counties are “wet” (alcohol sales allowed). Then we have “semi dry” ... never mind! Yes, of course, you can jump in your car and go to a neighboring county. Welcome to the US “Bible Belt”! Careful, we have similar regulation in Islamic countries. The unifying motivation? Making secular law agree with religion ... At least in Thailand, currently, there is some rational of discouraging gatherings for Songkran.

The ultimate goal of whoever is behind this push appears to be to turn the entire month of April into a dry month.  There has previously been a push to make the entire 3 month period of Buddhist Lent, from Khao Phansa to Awk Phansa, completely dry as well. That is still on the cards, and will probably follow once they succeed with their plans for April. You are correct that it is religious zealotry pushing this. Not a concern for people, although it is being spun that way.

Hopefully the current government will be forced out before things get that far, but I don't have much hope that smarter heads will prevail.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Monomial said:

The ultimate goal of whoever is behind this push appears to be to turn the entire month of April into a dry month.  There has previously been a push to make the entire 3 month period of Buddhist Lent, from Khao Phansa to Awk Phansa, completely dry as well. That is still on the cards, and will probably follow once they succeed with their plans for April. You are correct that it is religious zealotry pushing this. Not a concern for people, although it is being spun that way.

Hopefully the current government will be forced out before things get that far, but I don't have much hope that smarter heads will prevail.

Very well said, showing an excellent grasp of how politics works in Thailand. This ban is more about allowing those behind it, especially at a lower level, to be able to puff their chests out come election time, then bray as to how 'their policy' makes them 'more Thai than Thai', as well as saved the universe from Coronavirus...so no more booze under their reign, which may involve them actually having to leave their ill-gotten Country estates to do some work....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Was really a joke. 

SID is the only drink in these troubled times. Mix it with condensed milk, Instant coffee. Chocolate and Vanilla. Goes by the name of Moose Milk

9 hours ago, Monomial said:

From Bangkok, the closest places to get alcohol:

Rayong:   alcohol sales resume Thursday, April 16

Ayuttaya:  alcohol sales resume Friday, April 17

Chachoengsao, Ratchaburi, Pathumthani:  alcohol sales resume Monday, April 20

Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nonthaburi, Bangkok: alcohol sales resume Tuesday April 21

Samut Songkram, Nakon Prathom, Chonburi: alcohol sales resume Friday May 1

Although from above it sounds like Nonthaburi may have changed to align with Nakon Prathom.

..need to keep the masses happy and half shickered after a hard days yakka..after all that was the purpose of creating beer.

11 hours ago, mfd101 said:

If they think the ban is working, they're quite likely to extend it, perhaps indefinitely.

Yes indeed, just what the pro-military, anti-democracy "establishment" would like! Work, eat, sleep and pray at a temple!!

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Khon Kaen has joined the 30th April ban. So it is spreading around the whole nation.

And will no doubt extend to Laos too...........

If thailand does it , it has to be right, so Laos will do too.

Due to be be lifted after Pi Mai, 6.00 am 20th April, here.

But like I said, they follow Thailands lead, or so it would seem.