When can we buy alcohol again?

Oxx

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Another swathe of shop owners driven out of business ......... how high will the government drive the unemployment?

Presumably with no income, they won't be able to pay their rent.

I said to my wife why would they extend it ,when it was intended by some provinces  to  discourage drinking and large gatherings,especially  the tradition of honoring the old,during songran. She said many Thai's think they will drink and party more to make up for the loss time!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Monomial said:

Where did you get the wine yeast? I assume online but is there a source in Thailand, or did you need to import?

There is a place online which I've used but no longer do. Too expensive. Yeast is 100 baht for a one teaspoon portion. I buy baker's yeast from the supermarket. Big packet costs abut 50 baht and lasts forever. Wine made from it tastes no worse than that made with the expensive stuff.

I think this ban's almost certainly about Songkran and am hopeful it'll finish on the 30th, but you never know with the generals in suits.

• Like 1

A friend of mine went to both Foodland and a 7-11 in Bangkok.  He wanted to buy a couple of Heinekens for his wife.  These were not the usual ones, but the ones that are 0.0 alcohol.  They wouldn't sell it to him even after he pointed out to them there was no alcohol in the bottles as labeled.  Don't know what to say except TIT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 10:43 AM, Monomial said:

From Bangkok, the closest places to get alcohol:

Rayong:   alcohol sales resume Thursday, April 16

Ayuttaya:  alcohol sales resume Friday, April 17

Chachoengsao, Ratchaburi, Pathumthani:  alcohol sales resume Monday, April 20

Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Nonthaburi, Bangkok: alcohol sales resume Tuesday April 21

Samut Songkram, Nakon Prathom, Chonburi: alcohol sales resume Friday May 1

Although from above it sounds like Nonthaburi may have changed to align with Nakon Prathom.

Well Rayong was supposed to last till the 15 now today the 16th they changed it to the 30th. I ask my wife to find out how do the shops know its changed. She came back and said was the distributor that tell the stores. But was able to by some beer from mom and pop store that knows us well. Btw I had stopped drinking beer March 15 to lose my baby leo. Down 5 kilos. Time for a little cold one.

• Like 1

I home brewed in the YUK for 30 years.  Without brewers yeast you won't get more than 3 or 4% and it will be difficult to remove the yeast. Brewers yeast you can brew beer  up to about 6 - 8% 9 with care.  With a wine yeast up to 18% if you are careful: incremental additions of sugar up to the maximum or you end up with alcoholic syrup.  But the biggest handicap here is the temperature. Ideally brewing should take place above 15 degrees and not above 25 degrees.  You need to take the original SG of the fruit liquor (ie before you add the yeast) to calculate the theoretically possible percentage alcohol in the finished brew and therefore how much sugar you must/can add to get your required maximum. Remembering the figure of around 18% as the maximum before the alcohol kills the yeast in ideal conditions. 

Yours truly,

A dedicated alcoholic

Edited by keithathome
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:52 PM, Fatman666 said:

got my daily 5 bottle of Big Chang about 30 minutes ago. Small mama shop here in Bangkok , who only sells backdoors at these times and only for truly customers, and is well stocked up for the next weeks if necessary. Beer packed in black plasitc bag. Only few meters to go to my house. 

Same with me mate ,  i call into my local mini mart daily , for my beer , no problem .

Sad so many Tvf, posters just live on the forum ...

• Like 2

All this talk about mom and pop stores and others of that ilk doesn't really help me personally.  I prefer imported wines and single malt whiskies to the local gut-rot spirits and industrial beers.  Fingers crossed that things in Bangkok return to normal on Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They should extend the ban forever. Introduce permanent alcohol prohibition. Thailand is a Buddhist country and Buddhists aren't supposed to drink alcohol. If alcoholic westerners can't do without their drug fix, they can move to Cambodia or Vietnam instead. The quality of western tourists in Thailand will then increase massively.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 4/16/2020 at 1:02 AM, Hanuman2547 said:

A friend of mine went to both Foodland and a 7-11 in Bangkok.  He wanted to buy a couple of Heinekens for his wife.  These were not the usual ones, but the ones that are 0.0 alcohol.  They wouldn't sell it to him even after he pointed out to them there was no alcohol in the bottles as labeled.  Don't know what to say except TIT.

No need of the TIT comment, as in this case it's inappropriate.

The underpaid workers have most likely had the 'no alcohol sold' drilled in to them.

Besides which, it does contain 0.05% alcohol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, faraday said:

Besides which, it does contain 0.05% alcohol.

Many 'alcohol-free' beers contain up to 0.5 % alcohol ABV, but information from Heineken states that its 0.0 alcohol-free beer has been brewed twice to remove ALL alcohol, without stating the actual residual alcohol content.  In reality this probably means less than 0.05% which puts it in the same range as many fruit juices.

So, on earlier pages in this topics some posts mentioned other provinces extending their ban to the end of April, but what is the current word on Bangkok?  Will the ban here end on the 20th or not?

1 minute ago, JTXR said:

So, on earlier pages in this topics some posts mentioned other provinces extending their ban to the end of April, but what is the current word on Bangkok?  Will the ban here end on the 20th or not?

I read that the powers that be in Bangkok will make a decision on Monday (tomorrow).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, moontang said:

they should stick to the original deal made with the people.

This was never a "deal made with the people".  It was something imposed by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats.  In the case of Bangkok it was imposed by a governor appointed by the ruling junta after it sacked the democratically elected governor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

This was never a "deal made with the people".  It was something imposed by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats.  In the case of Bangkok it was imposed by a governor appointed by the ruling junta after it sacked the democratically elected governor.

It never is, but the decision was uncontested and taken in stride by most, so it is a good time for them to earn a bit of trust.  Besides that, looting could come into play.  Even the three hour window at lunch would seem almost reasonable.  

On 4/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, Thainess said:

They should extend the ban forever. Introduce permanent alcohol prohibition. Thailand is a Buddhist country and Buddhists aren't supposed to drink alcohol. If alcoholic westerners can't do without their drug fix, they can move to Cambodia or Vietnam instead. The quality of western tourists in Thailand will then increase massively.

Do you play the tambourine ? Luckily for you there is no prostitution in Thailand and in today's news a monk just shot a layman. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JTXR said:

So, the reality is that no one knows yet the answer to the original question:  if the ban in Bangkok will end on the 20th or will be extended.

Expect an announcement tomorrow.  It was extended in Chiang Mai, but maybe just so they didn't have to be told by Bangkok what to do.  Vegas odds, resume ban, +1.10. End ban -1.10, permanently ban:. Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.  The local punks on the loud motorbikes have not been cooperating, and we may all pay for that.

Edited by moontang