When can we buy alcohol again?

Oxx

From what I understand it's not only illegal for shops to 'sell' alcohol during the ban, it's also technically illegal for you to 'take/have' it. So if a shop sells you noodles for 500 baht and throws in alcohol for free, you are taking a risk simply by walking out the door with it. How big of a risk, I don't know. Sometimes I like to have a beer out in front of my building around sunset and have had two Thai friends tell me to be careful because if the police drive by and see me they could potentially give me some grief. My friends just say to drink it discreetly and not be blatant about it when outside. Behind closed doors in the privacy of your home shouldn't be a problem, yet I don't know the legal technicalities of that either. Either way, I have a month's supply so I'm happy for now.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

From what I understand it's not only illegal for shops to 'sell' alcohol during the ban, it's also technically illegal for you to 'take/have' it. So if a shop sells you noodles for 500 baht and throws in alcohol for free, you are taking a risk simply by walking out the door with it. How big of a risk, I don't know. Sometimes I like to have a beer out in front of my building around sunset and have had two Thai friends tell me to be careful because if the police drive by and see me they could potentially give me some grief. My friends just say to drink it discreetly and not be blatant about it when outside. Behind closed doors in the privacy of your home shouldn't be a problem, yet I don't know the legal technicalities of that either. Either way, I have a month's supply so I'm happy for now.

Correct, drinking in public could be problematic now...even transporting unopened beers..

4 hours ago, JTXR said:

A side note:

Went to TOPS today.  On my shopping list was Listerine.  The only Listerine for sale was the Zero Alcohol version.

They are worse than the teatotaling Southern Baptist.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, stouricks said:

They should extend the ban forever. Introduce permanent alcohol prohibition. Thailand is a Buddhist country and Buddhists aren't supposed to drink alcohol. If alcoholic westerners can't do without their drug fix, they can move to Cambodia or Vietnam instead. The quality of western tourists in Thailand will then increase massively.

The Buddha based all his teaching on freedom of choice.
Everyone walks to the beat of their own drum and do not need to be told what to do.

7 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

Everyone walks to the beat of their own drum and do not need to be told what to do.

is that why the monks are so selfish and make no contribution worth talking about to Thai society, apart from selling meaningless junk to gullible people? 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

The post you quote is not mine by any means, Thainess did that. 

From what you say, is that why people ride their motor bikes on either side of the street?

On 4/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, vogie said:

Banning of alcohol may not hurt anyone but it is a freedom that the government is removing from it's citizens. Everyone should have the freedom of choice to buy something that is not illegal, why not ban blancmange and trifle, it may stop children throwing it at each other resulting in jelly eye.

Did you know that Icelands President Gudni Johanneson tried to have pineapple banned as a topping on pizzas.

Be carefull what you wish for and how much power you wish your governments to have, they could well ban something you like to enjoy.

I was in Iceland not too many years after they allowed beer to be sold. Until 1st March 1989 beer was not allowed, but as far as Iceland's President with regard to pineapple topping, then I am not so sure.

My missus made me a lovely slab of marinaded pork with fried pineapple slices in brown sugar and boiled potatoes for lunch yesterday.

Delish.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:28 AM, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China. That's a stretch mate. 

You said 'Everyone walks to the beat of their own drum and do not need to be told what to do'

They DO NEED to be told what to do when it comes to driving, or mudering their family, or raping young girls, or taking yaba, etc etc. 

Nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

On 4/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, stouricks said:

You said 'Everyone walks to the beat of their own drum and do not need to be told what to do'

They DO NEED to be told what to do when it comes to driving, or mudering their family, or raping young girls, or taking yaba, etc etc. 

Nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

I don't think my comment against a permanent alcohol ban advocated neither removing Law of the Land nor Anarchy lol

• Haha 1