Pattaya: New lockdown to begin Thursday, new travel requirements for foreigners, restrictions to be eased on some businesses

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thai media has referred to Pattaya as the yolk of the egg - an analogy about it being a center of the virus.

Someone needs to show the Thai media this map, (published by the Thai media). 

The majority of Chonburi Province cases are outside of Pattaya, while the majority nation wide are in Bangkok. 

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/follow-covid-19-coronavirus-cases-in-thailand-here-live-tracker

inbound511863989892852447.jpg

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

My son says that most of the gossip on social media squarely puts the blame on to America, quite why he cannot explain, certainly nothing to do with China as far as the social media sites he frequents.

Time to take those Corona beer t shirts with the maple leaf out of storage? 

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Meanwhile on Wednesday, Pattaya mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem reiterated that most people infected with COVID-19 in Pattaya are either foreign nationals or Thais who came into close proximity with foreigners due to their work.

There we go again. Meanwhile, Thais are so inherently superior they are not susceptible to local infection, neither can they pass on any infection to another human. The word 'infallible' comes to mind. It is always the pesky, dirty foreigners who bring untold misery to the Land of Smirks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

"Chinese buddies"? The Chinese are foreigners, too. 

Some foreigners are just more 'foreign' than others, if you know what I mean, and if you go by how 'they' differentiate people based on 'colour' or how they look. Just saying.

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Imagine we pull this <deleted> in germany, uk or usa... we would be called Nazis within 5 minutes, rightly so.

Braindead asia can do what they want tho, it seems.

Just more fuel to feed the Thai's animosity towards the horrible "farang".

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

You cannot even go to the market without feeling the eyes burning the back of your head.

Can't say I've noticed.

Not many foreigners around where I live though.

But it's odd to find it in Pattaya where everyone makes their money from foreigners.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, outsider said:

There we go again. Meanwhile, Thais are so inherently superior they are not susceptible to local infection, neither can they pass on any infection to another human. The word 'infallible' comes to mind. It is always the pesky, dirty foreigners who bring untold misery to the Land of Smirks. 

This new attempt at a lockdown is not going to help with the attitude, especially when the government is pointing the finger at foreigners for the whole global virus thing. It's only a matter of time before the few remaining  foreigners find somewhere else to stay or go. I can only hope the newer generations of Thai people change the fortunes of the country, for now I would not recommend anyone going there for any length of time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Imagine we pull this <deleted> in germany, uk or usa... we would be called Nazis within 5 minutes, rightly so.

Braindead asia can do what they want tho, it seems.

Yes, everything was ok here until foreigners came in close proximity.

Are copy-shops allowed to open?

From the English version of the form (my bold):-

PermissionCertificateOfEntryEN.pdf

Note:
You must provide 1 copy of this document, a copy of your ID card or passport and work permit (for
foreigners) to the screening staff as evidence. This information will be kept as a record on entering and
exiting Pattaya City.

Does that really say one copy per entry / exit?

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Are copy-shops allowed to open?

From the English version of the form (my bold):-

PermissionCertificateOfEntryEN.pdf 21.07 kB · 0 downloads

Does that really say one copy per entry / exit?

A scrap paper collectors dream, but a personal security information nightmare.

Where will it all end up eventually - in the sea, burnt, thrown onto a rubbish tip?

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The last infection (that I've heard of) was the Russian who died on 5 April.

According to the covid tracker (which doesn't mention that one) all of the other cases in the Pattaya area are nearly 3 weeks old and most of those aren't actual infections but warnings about people who might have been in the same place (like a massage parlour) at the same time as someone who was suspected of being infected was thought to have been.
One of those "cases" seems to be 5 Thai women (who worked as Masseuses) who all travelled on the same bus.

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en

As noted in another thread, just a few days ago the stated purpose of the lock down was to keep foreign and domestic tourists OUT of the city:
"This is not a lock-down, according to Pattaya City Police, it is a further scrutiny of the area with the MAIN intention being to stop non residents and tourists, both foreign and domestic, from entering the city. "

That was just 7 days ago. https://thepattayanews.com/2020/04/08/pattaya-city-begins-restricted-closure-tomorrow-here-is-a-detailed-explanation-of-what-is-happening/

More of a practice run for things to come me thinks

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

My son says that most of the gossip on social media squarely puts the blame on to America, quite why he cannot explain, certainly nothing to do with China as far as the social media sites he frequents.

Thank you for sharing juvenile gossip.

"Meanwhile on Wednesday, Pattaya mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem reiterated that most people infected with COVID-19 in Pattaya are either foreign nationals or Thais who came into close proximity with foreigners due to their work."

So, it's the fault of those beastly farangs again? Let's remember statements like this when the likes of TAT are up and running again touting for business!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blix99 said:

Odd, been living here two years: never attacked, spat on, or run off the road. Restaurant staff either polite or in too many cases disinterested. Never hassled by the police, in fact found them helpful. Most Thais still seem friendly enough and give back what they receive has been my experience. 

Well, I am happy for you that you haven't experienced anything, we did, so we left. Surely you have noticed the countless stories of anti foreigner attitude in Thailand and the problems many people do face? Friends of ours from Holland were attacked and robbed and received zero interest from the police, of course they left as well..You also see it blatantly in government announcements from time to time. I do hope you are not one of these people living in denial because you are holding onto your decision to make Thailand your home? Anyway, for me it was not the place to make a home and I fear for my remaining friends during these uncertain times. Anyway I am glad things are good with you. I hope this new lockdown goes smoothly for you and this virus is behind us all in the not too distant future. Stay safe. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, blix99 said:

Odd, been living here two years: never attacked, spat on, or run off the road. Restaurant staff either polite or in too many cases disinterested. Never hassled by the police, in fact found them helpful. Most Thais still seem friendly enough and give back what they receive has been my experience. 

Ditto .. been coming here 27 years , lived here now 5 years ( retired ) .. never have I had an issue every Thai I’ve had dealings with have been friendly enough , the only altercation I ever had and that’s why it’s so vivid was when I Sat on my life jacket ( brand new jacket ) .. and what I assume was the captain ( going to koh larn ) ripped it out from under me and told me ‘ it’s for wearing ‘ , well I think that’s what he said ... my ( Thai wife ) is a different story ofcourse ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

Live with the animosity and xenophobic attitude towards foreigners that runs right through Thai society. You cannot even go to the market without feeling the eyes burning the back of your head. I think only a fool would continue living with the feeling that you are not wanted. So live with it? No thanks.

You have an option, you can leave and never return?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Can't miss on opportunity to remind everyone of the current smear campaign against foreigners taking place.

I think you will find they usually call us Farangs, foreigners are a separate category including Asians and Chinese.