Pattaya: New lockdown to begin Thursday, new travel requirements for foreigners, restrictions to be eased on some businesses

Jonathan Fairfield

the reason for the racist stuff is easy to understand if you realize China did a virus war on most of the world, and Thai gov wants subs why is beyond me subs are obsolete now satellites can track each and every one of them (and they can be drowned if need be) the general does not like women so he wont be saving any of them so what the point?

3 hours ago, DefaultName said:

This getting it from fallangs pisses me off.  I haven't left Thailand for a year, if I get the virus, I get it here, from a Thai.

Thw late eighties revisited : back then it was farang =AIDS 

Now it is farang bring Corona. 

It has always been that the Thais can't do anything wrong, so whatever goes wrong in Los has to be projected onto foreigners whether it's the Khmer, Laotians or farangs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiggo said:

I have lived here for over 10 years, coming here for 30, never been spat at or run off the road, resturant staff mostly very polite, the police no problem being a law abiding citizan,so what the hell have you done that has upset these people.

Probable didn't get around much outside your moo ban :I have been pushed off my bicycle, threatened by passing motorcycles in various ways, called a farang kee nok, farang kuay, farang kwaiy, farang ngo, etc so many times, just for being a farang, not for doing anything obnoxious other than riding my bike. Sure there are many very friendly and polite Thais, but there are a hell of a lot that are not, luckily only a minority of these racists will openly display their xenophobia in word or deed. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jiggo said:

I have lived here for over 10 years, coming here for 30, never been spat at or run off the road, resturant staff mostly very polite, the police no problem being a law abiding citizan,so what the hell have you done that has upset these people.

Don't seem to have to do anything to attract unwanted attention in Pattaya. Anyway, I and many other with similar view have left but I am not trying to convince you of anything, each to their own and if you are happy then great.. If you cant see any animosity or anti farang mentality anywhere all i can say is keep doing what you're doing, stay safe and be happy. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Probable didn't get around much outside your moo ban :I have been pushed off my bicycle, threatened by passing motorcycles in various ways, called a farang kee nok, farang kuay, farang kwaiy, farang ngo, etc so many times, just for being a farang, not for doing anything obnoxious other than riding my bike. Sure there are many very friendly and polite Thais, but there are a hell of a lot that are not, luckily only a minority of these racists will openly display their xenophobia in word or deed. 

I saw many things. thought i was going to get in trouble with the police when i got ran off the road. it was the top of Thepprassit near Sukhumvit end where the police box is. I got ran off the road on my motorbike by Fortuner and ALL the Thais (including police) were trying to decide how much i pay each of them. I just got out of there repeating to the policeman "no money, no money) whilst i made my gettaway. not the place of choice or to raise a son... stay safe, hope the lockdown goes ok...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Imagine we pull this <deleted> in germany, uk or usa... we would be called Nazis within 5 minutes, rightly so.

Braindead asia can do what they want tho, it seems.

17 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Seems that way mate.

God knows why.

The UN should at the very least call them out on their actions.

Wont hold me breath though like.

I imagine you are staying in Pattaya and not in Germany , UK , USA ... . Better read the news from all over the place and not only from there . Many places have much more strict regulations over here in Europe . You are experiencing a lockdown , not heavy but not soft either . Some places in Europe ( Italy , France ... ) you need a paper just to go out the door ... not out of the city , out of the door . Some places you cannot go further then 1 km from home . Checkpoints are very common here , asking you where you are going , if no valid reason ( meaning buying food or work ) , you are send back home and get a big ticket . Some places police are using drones to watch people from the sky to see if there aren't gatherings of people . These things are happening , and allthough we are not happy with the regulations , most people do understand them and follow them , all hoping things go back to normal as soon as possible . This can only be done if there aren't many cases anymore .

BTW : i am sure many on this forum also live in Europe and can validate what i am saying is the truth , and if you not believe it , i can send you plenty of pictures on how it is over here . You can find them yourself if you are willing to look further then TVF .

20 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Every single time.

Can't miss on opportunity to remind everyone of the current smear campaign against foreigners taking place.

Don't get complacent now lads, wouldn't wanna let your Chinese buddies down!

one day Thailand will get its wish and foreigners will stop coming i pray by then the economy will have shifted from heavy dependncey on tourists AKA foreigners

20 hours ago, Hallib said:

I was planing to move to Pattaya when my rental contract ends May 1st from Hua Hin, I just hope to be able to enter the city to prospect some property to rent. But I can not get an answer from the authority if I can move on May 1st.

Stay put if you can, find a short term place in HH. Things should be clearer by the end of May. Even registering your change of address is a risk.

5 hours ago, thecyclist said:

not for doing anything obnoxious other than riding my bike.

Don't sweat it, they get abused in London and many European cities too, usually for acting like holier than thou self entitled xxxxxs!

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

most people infected with COVID-19 in Pattaya are either foreign nationals or Thais who came into close proximity with foreigners

It is obvious that foreigners are to blame - you see them maintaining social distance by riding 2, 3 or 4 on a motorcycle - sharing drinking glasses - eating from a common bowl often using the same spoon and digging into containers of sticky rice with unwashed hands!  Ban all 'dirty' foreigners!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Don't sweat it, they get abused in London and many European cities too, usually for acting like holier than thou self entitled xxxxxs!

3 hours ago, kingdong said:

Why?

would kindly explain why? am i missing somethig? not being a SA but imnot sure how to answer your WHY? without more information.

4 hours ago, sezze said:

I imagine you are staying in Pattaya and not in Germany , UK , USA ... . Better read the news from all over the place and not only from there . Many places have much more strict regulations over here in Europe . You are experiencing a lockdown , not heavy but not soft either . Some places in Europe ( Italy , France ... ) you need a paper just to go out the door ... not out of the city , out of the door . Some places you cannot go further then 1 km from home . Checkpoints are very common here , asking you where you are going , if no valid reason ( meaning buying food or work ) , you are send back home and get a big ticket . Some places police are using drones to watch people from the sky to see if there aren't gatherings of people . These things are happening , and allthough we are not happy with the regulations , most people do understand them and follow them , all hoping things go back to normal as soon as possible . This can only be done if there aren't many cases anymore .

BTW : i am sure many on this forum also live in Europe and can validate what i am saying is the truth , and if you not believe it , i can send you plenty of pictures on how it is over here . You can find them yourself if you are willing to look further then TVF .

How dare you introduce facts and rational perspective into our bashing thread! The party's in full swing here, man. You must be a Real Estate Agent Chinese/Thai Apologist (our worst of the worst insults, so there). Note how you're being carefully ignored. 

I was amused to read this recently: 

The men, aged 40-50, and women, aged 23-25, were refused permission to enter France and ordered by police to fly back to the UK.

French police turn back private jet of holidaymakers from UK

???? Can you imagine all the knickers-soiling here and cries of xenophobia if it'd been a group of "our lads" denied entry to Thailand?

Unfortunately we're also confronted with this awkwardness:

Most coronavirus cases in New York City can be traced back to Europe, not Asia, research shows

and

CORONAVIRUS STARTED IN CHINA, BUT EUROPE BECAME THE HUB FOR ITS GLOBAL SPREAD

Tourist areas are, logically, a greater risk. Recently the Phuket governor was transferred for failing to contain the virus spread sufficiently in Phuket. And it's true that he didn't have much success, relatively speaking, though, as he said, "he did his best." A clampdown on Pattaya seems only rational.

And it applies to Thais as well as foreigners. Not to say that enforcement has been or will be perfectly implemented according to the high standards set by our ace TVF Virologists (who've been on top of this from the beginning) or uniformly carried out. That's as usual in Thailand for all law enforcement and also applies to Thais as well as foreigners.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Hallib said:

I was planing to move to Pattaya when my rental contract ends May 1st from Hua Hin, I just hope to be able to enter the city to prospect some property to rent. But I can not get an answer from the authority if I can move on May 1st.

Why would you come here?  It's the hub of predatory police; 2nd worst casualty figures in Thailand; no water.  Now the bars are closed the only things Pattaya has going for it, is a sensible Immigration Office and nice sunsets.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:46 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Pattaya mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem reiterated that most people infected with COVID-19 in Pattaya are either foreign nationals or Thais who came into close proximity with foreigners due to their work.

No xenophobia in Pattaya for sure!  

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:46 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Meanwhile on Wednesday, Pattaya mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem reiterated that most people infected with COVID-19 in Pattaya are either foreign nationals or Thais who came into close proximity with foreigners due to their work.

or alternatively:

most people infected with COVID-19 in Pattaya are Thai nationals, or foreigners who came close proximity with Thais due to their daily life.

was there the chicken or the egg first?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Already cancelled ?

Can't find any reference to it being cancelled. Just checked the PR Pattaya (Public Relations Pattaya) Page and as of 46 minutes ago it seems it's still ongoing.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Prpattayacity/posts/?ref=page_internal

Might be something somewhere else about it though ?

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:50 AM, darksidedog said:

A whole lot more information would be helpful here. I have just come along Sukumvit from 36 to the top of Klang. Access to Banglamung hospital if coming from the north is a non starter, as the right turn and all U-turns have been closed. Are we going to be able to go south, do a U-turn and use Makro, Big C etc?

My landlord is stuck in Belgium, so I have no way to contact him for a copy of his ID. What happens about that?

Seems to be very poorly thought through, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised about that.

Surely there is always the 200/300 Baht under the clipboard method left as a last/normal resort.

• Haha 1