Chonburi officials earmark 1 May for lifting of restrictions and partial return to normality

webfact

If things re open on 1st May then at least most places will survive with the resident ex pats. There will be a fair bit of pent up spending to get things going and businesses will just be happy to cut their clothes accordingly and get the show up and running.

However, it will be the coming months that will matter. Visa on arrivals will need to be reinstated with no quarantine periods.

Remember we are heading into low season so businesses should have tried to save a few baht anyway.

Europe is now beginning to slowly open again with some car plants restarting with small workforces. It is the same process that China etc went through over a month again. China is pretty much up and running although with a lot of preventive measures in place.

We will just have to hope that we can keep a lid on things globally. Travelling will a personal decision. It depends who's prepared to take the risk.

You're tripping if you think Thailand (or most countries) is going to let in people without restrictions anytime soon. Particularly Americans. The worse hit country. Pretty shocking huh? I guess get used to a new normal and we're not even at the beginning of that yet.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Why open a tourist town if you are not going to let tourists back?

The Thai authorities aren't stupid. They need/want tourism and as long as cases are falling worldwide they will concoct a reason to let people back.

If they don't people won't come, it's simple.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

Why open a tourist town if you are not going to let tourists back?

The Thai authorities aren't stupid. They need/want tourism and as long as cases are falling worldwide they will concoct a reason to let people back.

If they don't people won't come, it's simple.

Eventually. Not soon.

2 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

If this virus is as dangerous to normal, healthy people as we are led to believe, Pattaya bar girls should be dropping like flies. As far as I can tell, they aren’t.
Many of them are still working online, or on the streets, and then going back to the cramped rooms that they share with several other girls, who do the same thing every day. 
I’ve asked all of the girls I know, whether they, or any of their friends have been sick, and all of them have said no. Should I believe them, or are they just lying to me, to avoid scaring a potential customer awa

The danger is basically to the elderly or those with underlying conditions and smokers and drinkers and overweight. I think young slim thais in the warm weather will do just fine.  Lockdowns are a waste of time just isolate and protect the elderly and sick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

The danger is basically to the elderly or those with underlying conditions and smokers and drinkers and overweight. I think young slim thais in the warm weather will do just fine.  Lockdowns are a waste of time just isolate and protect the elderly and sick.

Overly simplistic. Overly callous.

Vulnerable people should not be exposed to Covid-19 right now in the service of a hypothetical future

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

17 hours ago, OnTheGround said:

Thaifriendly can be of help to release your imminent urge. Door delivery.

Psssst take a look in soi buakhao near Treetown 6pm until curfew.

(you owe me) lol

Yeah, we wouldn't want to eradicate Covid completely would we. 

15 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Its just you. And if you are going to call someone a clown, make sure you spell 'propose' correctly in the same comment, otherwise you might look like a bit of a . . . clown?

Thanks when the topic gets back to grammar and spelling I'll call you. 

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

It may come as a surprise to you but April 30th is a date that has been used by optimists around the globe, delusional optimism in the US has just jumped on the bandwagon.

There is no definitive timing and people need to realise the way out will not be as easy as they seem to think.  Doors will open very slowly, Italy has started by lifting some restrictions and extending others.

Both Italy and Spain, two of the worst-hit countries during the coronavirus pandemic, have re-opened thousands of businesses this week, with millions of workers heading back to their jobs.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/italy-spain-take-first-steps-towards-lifting-lockdown-restrictions-millions-return-jobs-183457

France, Italy announce weeks more of toughest, longest-running measures in West despite pressure to ease up as crisis slows

https://www.wsj.com/articles/european-coronavirus-lockdowns-extended-dashing-hopes-for-speedy-reopening-as-crisis-slows-11586812783

Not surprise one bit!  But a bit confused as to your comment?  " optimists around the globe " but when it comes to the U.S. it is " delusional optimism "  if you have such a negative about the U.S. then it shouldn't be a surprise to you that I might have one against the Thai leaders that fall into the category of " Delusional Optimism " !

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

So no happy endings...gonna explode soon 

Never fear the Thais are resourceful. I believe in order to keep social distancing to an acceptable level - bar girls & mongers will be offered a thin , whole body length of cellophane, with a small, circular, cocktail Frankfurt sized hole about 3/4 of the way down. This is in the interest of not discriminating against the Japanese, Koreans & Chinese and practicing safe social distancing. Western mongers will be offered a different sheet with a Kranski sized hole :<)

Every economy in the World has been smashed by this virus, and Thailand’s, with hundreds of thousands of small businesses operating on a hand to mouth existence, is probably less well equipped than many to take it on the chin. So the temptation to reopen early is hugely understandable, but also fraught with danger.

You won't get a second chance to get this right, so the authorities throughout Thailand need to think very carefully, and need to use statistics from reliable sources in making their judgement calls. It is now abundantly clear that we cannot trust anything that China, or the disgraceful WHO tells us.

From the very beginning, the WHO have been peddling the Chinese Communist Party’s lies, disinformation and propaganda to an unsuspecting World. The relationship between China and Tedros Adhanom, the head of the W.H.O. needs a thorough independent inquiry; starting with an investigation into all of his finances by a forensic accountant.

I hope the Thai authorities do not make any decisions based on any information from China or the WHO, however tempting it may be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Every economy in the World has been smashed by this virus, and Thailand’s, with hundreds of thousands of small businesses operating on a hand to mouth existence, is probably less well equipped than many to take it on the chin. So the temptation to reopen early is hugely understandable, but also fraught with danger.

as I said above the reality is now sinking in - the Thai government have only one option - to financially support "all" the businesses that support tourism recently closed down because of the restrictions imposed, if they don't these businesses will never open again - and the support needs to be in place for at least 12 months - that is exactly what western countries are being forced to do - support people - businesses (large and small) with huge amounts of money, opening up tourist cities right now will change nothing - the damage is done - unless the government is willing to fess up and start supporting everything financially Thailand will very quickly go down the (deleted)er, there is no cheap way out of this - it will cost Thailand trillions of baht - if they are unwilling to commit (as other countries have) then the long term cost will be more severe 

They need to step up now, they are complaining about the pittance 5000b that they say they cannot afford lol - that is pocket change to what it will eventually cost if they don't start supporting everything and everybody - yes massive amounts of money

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

Just maybe someone in government is now joining up the dots, the so called dirty farangs are critical to the Thai economy - I think they are getting it  

I would like to think so....but I doubt it....Thai,s are never wrong

7 hours ago, smedly said:

as I said above the reality is now sinking in - the Thai government have only one option - to financially support "all" the businesses that support tourism

They need to step up now

Mr P has stepped up now by saying the 5,000 baht handout to those affected will only be for one month and not the original three as first promised....that of course is for those fortunate enough to be able to register....so where or what has happened to the $175 billion dollars of foreign reserve Thailand used to boast about.....many big questions to be answered in the coming months/years......:whistling:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, smedly said:

as I said above the reality is now sinking in - the Thai government have only one option - to financially support "all" the businesses that support tourism recently closed down because of the restrictions imposed, if they don't these businesses will never open again - and the support needs to be in place for at least 12 months - that is exactly what western countries are being forced to do - support people - businesses (large and small) with huge amounts of money, opening up tourist cities right now will change nothing - the damage is done - unless the government is willing to fess up and start supporting everything financially Thailand will very quickly go down the (deleted)er, there is no cheap way out of this - it will cost Thailand trillions of baht - if they are unwilling to commit (as other countries have) then the long term cost will be more severe 

They need to step up now, they are complaining about the pittance 5000b that they say they cannot afford lol - that is pocket change to what it will eventually cost if they don't start supporting everything and everybody - yes massive amounts of money

I agree with just about everything you are saying, although I foresee some problems. The Thai government does not have sufficient reserve funds to support all the businesses in Thailand, and they cannot justify supporting only the ones involved in tourism. There are millions of Thai’s employed outside of the tourist industry who need supporting, especially as their businesses can probably get back to normal more quickly than those in the tourist industry. As you say, the government promise to pay those that have lost their jobs, 5,000 THB a month for 3 months has now been reduced to 1 month, so they obviously don't have the funds, especially for a year as you suggest, which I agree is probably necessary for the tourist related businesses.

Every country in the World will need to recalibrate its relationship with China after this, and America certainly will. If the Thai government had any foresight, they would start courting Apple, Google and Microsoft, as a groundswell of feeling grows amongst these huge companies customers (myself included) to move hardware production away from China. Thailand would be an ideal alternative and thousands of great jobs could be created, and a huge and prestigious boost to the economy provided. If they don’t, I guarantee that my next iPhone will be made in Vietnam ….. I will never buy anything made in China again. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I agree this is a step too far... smaller businesses to resume slowly, if it proves to be okay then start to extend it out to others, ending with the larger premises.

The larger premises are pretty much all open already as of today, everything is back on sale in the big supermakets and all the small shops around them in Big C etc are open.

Are Central and Terminal 21 open, does anybody know?

2 hours ago, tomster said:

The larger premises are pretty much all open already as of today, everything is back on sale in the big supermakets and all the small shops around them in Big C etc are open.

Are Central and Terminal 21 open, does anybody know?

I was talking about the large restaurants where sitting in groups is involved and bars re-opening... they will have to be last.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Sad 1