Permanent residence: Thailand welcomes foreign investors and people with families

webfact

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's not only what it "basically" says, that's all that it says. All the government did was to define in which period people can apply for PR this year.

As could be expected, the author of the article doesn't even tell us which period this is.

Well, there is a bit of filler which make up most of paragraph 2 and 3....so yeah...."basically" unless you want me to translate the fluff.

As with these things, precedence tells you military government usually open PR applications early, so I wouldn't be surprised if applications were accepted from 1 May onward.

Edited by samran

30 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

So does this mean that foreigners who are married with families and who aren't employed can apply to become a Permanent Resident?

Or is this just business as usual?

Once again, the way it's written is about as clear as mud.

in your dreams...

thai wives get citizenship really easy, once they are in the other country

foreigners = not for you

divorced =  oh, come visit your children once a year

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Cheaper than getting PR for the wife in U.K and the Life In U.K test is ridiculous, have a go at it ????

I am English and I have failed it five times.

No, i'm not thick. ????

• Like 2

I did the interview process this year, and will now have to wait 1-2 years to see when it is approved.

If you are here anyway and are eligible there is no harm in going through the process. Main reason i have done it, is so that i can retire easily here before reaching retirement age and never having to ever worry about Visas again, subject to accessing the country one time a year.

I will probably continue on to do the citizenship after getting PR, whether i actually take it in the end or not is another matter- something to focus on and another option.

• Like 1

Have to wait another to have the three stamps, then I’ll also submit my application. 

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

Unless they change the existing rules I can't see the queue even reaching the door, and that is with 2 metre social distancing.
Another empty gesture to try and make news.

From what I know, they received enough applications every year. In fact, for many years the system was clogged with a huge backlog. 

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

So the first condition is they must be employed at the time of application?

I think you must have three consecutive years of Non-Imm Visa and be on such Visa when you’re applying. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Nicely said but nothing new here... but when it comes to the nitty gritty, there will be many hoops to jump though... nothing is ever easy for  foeighners in this country when it comes to PR and citizenship status...

It seems to depend on the case and time and luck maybe. A good friend of mine got his PR rather quickly after submitting his application. Our ex-boss was waiting for it some years. 

53 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why would I even bother, it offers me nothing, I have Citizenship in my own country which is worth it's weight in gold.

PR is not citizenship. And it’s not true that it doesn’t offer you anything. You don’t need a visa for example. 

38 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I have now been living in Thailand for some 28 years -- on one-year visa extensions. In most other countries in the world the government would have shoved permanent residency on me after a few years. I see it in my own country of birth, where Thai immigrants are automatically granted PR after 3 years. And after 5 years they're even offered nationality. And yes, it is all for FREE and the paperwork needed is minimal.

shame you got caught out on the income tax thing. People like you should be front and centre for PR here.

But for that comment above...not sure if you've looked into PR or citizenship applications in the west recently. Neither automatic, cheap or easy....

Edited by samran

27 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Why is this made up as if it were earth-shattering news? What I glean from the article is that it's the same mechanism as it has been for decades, including the 100 people per nationality quota.

I tried for PR once about a decade ago - and failed, because I was unable to fulfill one item on the long list of rather stringent requirements: income tax payments for the last 3 consecutive years prior to filing the application.

The application was turned down because - although I had paid income tax religiously and honestly for some 15 years - I had a gap of a couple of months in those stipulated "3 consecutive years". I had been changing jobs and wasn't earning any income during that short transitional period. So they basically refused me on a technicality. I have never tried again since.

I have now been living in Thailand for some 28 years -- on one-year visa extensions. In most other countries in the world the government would have shoved permanent residency on me after a few years. I see it in my own country of birth, where Thai immigrants are automatically granted PR after 3 years. And after 5 years they're even offered nationality. And yes, it is all for FREE and the paperwork needed is minimal.

Here it is like jumping through hoops and if you're lucky (or have paid a lot of money under the table), you still have the doubtful honor of "donating" a 200,000 THB fee to finally receive that little book.

So, here is my initial question again: Why is this article made up as if it were earth-shattering news?  

Similar thing happened to me on the income tax issue. I moved companies a few years ago so had less than 3 income tax submission from the same company for 3 years. It would of been difficult to collect all the documents off the old company, but that aside the offices advised me (told me) i am nearly guaranteed to fail, so told me to wait another year so i have 3 years of income tax working at the same company.

Its really a pretty archaic system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why would I even bother, it offers me nothing, I have Citizenship in my own country which is worth it's weight in gold.

Thailand is behind the rest of the world, example: my Thai wife applied for her permanent residency after getting married in Australia, she was granted permanent residency after 2 years, after that she applied for Australian Citizenship and received that 2 years later, she now has dual citizenships.

What is so precious about permanent residency in Thailand, marriage or retirement extensions are enough, albeit they are very repetative and waste a lot of paper and peoples time, both sides of the fence.

fwiw Citizenship based on marriage and employment only takes 3-4 years and cost under 5000 baht

Edited by yankee99