FREE Woodworking plans/projects to download

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If like me, you enjoy pottering in the workshop and making thngs with wood, here are some FREE downloadable pdf's of many different things for woodworking.    Hope you find this of use. I ce

These plans are great as an "ideas box".    I probably wouldn't build directly as described, match to local materials and whatever is "in stock" and "pine" may last long enough to finish the

Arjen, if you are going to make hives for apis cerana, the smaller Asian bee you need to make them smaller than Langstroth hives. There is also a different comb distance. Info available on the net, bu

Posted Images

Yeah inch from American these days still I believe, Thai use CM, having use metric calculations drawing up roof & building projects we always used mm's because of tolerancies.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

These plans are great as an "ideas box". 

I probably wouldn't build directly as described, match to local materials and whatever is "in stock" and "pine" may last long enough to finish the job before the bugs ate it.

Most of the plans are like that for people whose have done enough. I mostly design and build my own versions now.

i was rather amused by the second tool though as I try never to drop saws, it’s probably an idiosyncratic name for a chop saw or mitre saw, but if you don’t know much about the craft it is very confusing, and similar to the apprentice being sent to the stores for a long weight.

i would also be rather wary of the 16,000 free plans as that is exactly like a scam that has been around for many years.

3 hours ago, Arjen said:

I am looking already quite a long time to make (or buy) bee hives.

The idea is to give home to local bees, end get some honey from them. The local bees are quite small, and I know their honey production skills are not that great. But better then nothing.

I hoped to find bee hive plans here, but unfortunately, not.

Arjen.

Plenty of good things on You tube about this.....

Great plans.

Only, not easy to find wood the same way as in Europe, for a 'DIY' price.

For metal it is the other way round :smile:

Some of the plans do looks good, and some of them are plausible doable with iron.

Used to easily buy oak, pine, douglas fir, maple and spruce.
The best I can find here is bamboo or those wood which easily spall like those used for banners outdoor along the streets.

Even the plywood here, once water touch it it chips.

This is what it looks like in the stores where I got the wood.

The Thai version is drywall and iron in those racks. 🙂

elbert-jansen-indebuurt-ede-29.thumb.jpg.72b513d8cbfa3174a0f474bd0ed7082b.jpg

l.jpg.b56741b04d87d50ff8aac51bea659989.jpg

unnamed.jpg.0f66857b965c18d3e00683306b2921e8.jpg

A picnic table is easy made out of that.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Arjen said:

Arjen, if you are going to make hives for apis cerana, the smaller Asian bee you need to make them smaller than Langstroth hives. There is also a different comb distance. Info available on the net, but you might already know this.

I'm thinking of the same when I get some time to do it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Used to easily buy oak, pine, douglas fir, maple and spruce.
The best I can find here is bamboo or those wood which easily spall like those used for banners outdoor along the streets.

Even the plywood here, once water touch it it chips.

This is what it looks like in the stores where I got the wood.

The Thai version is drywall and iron in those racks. 🙂

elbert-jansen-indebuurt-ede-29.thumb.jpg.72b513d8cbfa3174a0f474bd0ed7082b.jpg

l.jpg.b56741b04d87d50ff8aac51bea659989.jpg

unnamed.jpg.0f66857b965c18d3e00683306b2921e8.jpg

A picnic table is easy made out of that.

Humm

you are looking in the wrong places and paying the wrong prices then.

for boards 666EC7F7-AD6B-4EC7-A642-8BCEDFD9351D.thumb.png.f3a21a63530c392ba441a937cf662357.pngEB088256-7357-41B3-8F35-56BD3205B30F.thumb.png.9d2c27ee688cd40c41470e5e8763ace9.png

and mouldings08DD7929-BD5C-4762-800F-3508E3811108.thumb.png.db7e0c0fee0b9d7d8fa6bb5d86538d45.png303808E6-2DD6-4490-BAFF-EC85D931D5DC.thumb.png.0e45c17069926acd26c5078497b2aa98.png5C033842-0579-469F-AAEF-3E2E5E9A3244.thumb.png.eaaaf746046306e72620ae5980e10a90.png

and really good plywood D68BD7D6-05BA-4D38-A5B4-BC9BF2F9AEB5.thumb.png.51772c2c5801a1bb18695415bba54f63.png

don’t forget that wherever you are good plywood costs good money. Plywood can be made to almost any quality/price point, so unless you are paying more than about ฿2,000  for a 2440 mm x 1220 mm 20mm board you are buying really cheap plywood.

that size can range from around ฿600 to ฿26,000 for a single sheet, though the more expensive ones will probably be special order and destined for the expensive boat building trade 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Arjen said:

The idea is to give home to local bees, end get some honey from them. The local bees are quite small, and I know their honey production skills are not that great. But better then nothing.

I hoped to find bee hive plans here, but unfortunately, not.

Arjen.

Look in instructables plenty in there, also loads of other projects as well to make

11 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Great plans.

Only, not easy to find wood the same way as in Europe, for a 'DIY' price.

For metal it is the other way round :smile:

Some of the plans do looks good, and some of them are plausible doable with iron.

Obviously not suitable for all things but I get great use out of "pallets" .Cheap to buy, break down, plane them up and you got reasonable wood for many things.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Humm

you are looking in the wrong places and paying the wrong prices then.

for boards

666EC7F7-AD6B-4EC7-A642-8BCEDFD9351D.thumb.png.f3a21a63530c392ba441a937cf662357.png

These are really good looking, and haven't seen them around here.

I assume this wood was prepared or old timber and will not change shape.

Will wait till the curfew is over and driving far more on the quest.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Obviously not suitable for all things but I get great use out of "pallets" .Cheap to buy, break down, plane them up and you got reasonable wood for many things.

Absolutely, with glue and clamps good boards can be made out of that.

Pallets cost around 70thb and not far from here. (From company that sells bricks and iron...:) )

Just now, Metropolitian said:

Absolutely, with glue and clamps good boards can be made out of that.

Pallets cost around 70thb and not far from here. (From company that sells bricks and iron...:) )

The shop in my area, you can either buy the pallet, or they sell the wood already planed and sized etc in bundles of 10 pc. Great for smaller jobs and playing around in the workshop.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Metropolitian said:

These are really good looking, and haven't seen them around here.

I assume this wood was prepared or old timber and will not change shape.

Will wait till the curfew is over and driving far more on the quest.

I doubt that it’s old timber there are a quiet a few species available as I recall; oak, beach, maple, ash and quiet a few others. I didn’t ask about price but it could be similar to Europe or USA plus so not at all cheap.

I have a few beautiful 2440 x 1220 sheets of Thai teak hardwood plywood that while a bit expensive are almost certainly value for money. I haven’t started the project that they will be used in yet so am only going by looks.
7332AE77-CC6D-486E-82D6-F275AC180529.thumb.jpeg.0f00e21df6beb81959ece50e0a9d4f37.jpeg

the area’s for the mouldings are near the PanFar boat stop and along soi 24 in bangpho. The hardwood shop is almost at the beginning the plywood shop is about ¼ of the way down.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
44 minutes ago, Arjen said:

About Plywood,

I worked for a company and we made machines to calibrate plywood, and particle wood, after gluing them. Usual customers needed a tolerance from 0,05 (and yes, I only use metrical, so no units needed!!)

The sanding, and calibtating process happened with a feed speed from 20m/s (around 70km/h) Measuring is done pneumatical, Mostly on 40 lines over the width, every mm.

When I buy here plywood, and I measure they are usual at least 0,5 under the nominal size. When I complain they tell me, it is difficult to produce wood so accurate, this is a standard deviation.....

I also know, direct after calibrating, you can have good results.  (And our machines only had to calibate) I also know that after calibrating, and let the panels rest for one hour they where out of spec. But usual within 0,1

Special when you calibrate solid wood, (floorings!!!) One year after calbrating, you can find differences of 1mm, wood cut from the same tree, but from different places. 

So I understand why really good plywood is so expansive. Usual the layers are around 1,5mm thickness. The middle layers are only for the strength, so damages are not that important. The outer layers are very important.  It is them what you see when you buy your sheet.

Yes, and then, still many things can go wrong.... Once, one of our customers had a reject from several shiploads plywood.

So all plywood went through the process, was packed, loaded and shipped.

It turned out the plywood was very low quality. They use two componet glue to glue the sheets together. They never added the hardener.... So the glue was no glue, but only a sirup.......

Arjen.

Just a few points about the Teak plywood I have

One sheet that I can easily measure is actually 21.5 and the surface veneer is an amazing 1.5 not the usual 20 microns and they are sliced not rotary cut. It is also quite probable that it’s substrate layers are also hardwood conceivably even teak, although even though it was expensive I don’t think it was expensive enough for that.

I have 2 other cheap sheets 1 is 20.0 the other is 19.0 they cost about ¼ of the price.