How is your relationship with food?

snoop1130

How is your relationship with food?

by Saree Jitta

woman-eating-bruschetta-1537635-1170x924.jpg

It sounds like a silly question – how can you have a relationship with food. But what if I told you that the reason you’ve been trying for the past year to lose weight or go on a fad diet, but it didn’t work. Maybe it’s not the exercise itself, perhaps it’s not an actual diet, but it’s your relationship with food.

Most people think if you want to lose weight you have to eat very little and workout more. So, most girls ended up killing themselves at the gym and starve themselves. For sure you’ll lose weight but once you start eating normal again your weight will bounce back. This is not a healthy lifestyle in the long term. If a trainer promises you that this diet will make you lose 20 pounds without doing any exercise, I want you to run as fast as you can! When it comes to diet there’s no one size fits all, what works best for her might not work for you.

I have one client who said to me I have been doing IF (Intermittent fasting) for months. It worked at the beginning but now I have stopped losing weight. Then I asked her ‘what did you have for lunch and dinner’ and she said ‘well I have a bit of noodle and chicken, in the afternoon I get hungry again so it could be an apple, then for dinner, I have a bit of rice and fish. Can you see why she lost weight? I mean first of all; I have nothing against any diet, but most people think this is the right diet for them. She lost at the beginning because she stopped having breakfast and when you eat less and workout more, of course, you’re going to lose weight. She loves this diet because she said it’s a good excuse for her not to have breakfast because she doesn’t have time in the morning. Don’t get me wrong it works for many people, but you need to make sure that you have enough nutrients. She’s only had a bit of protein, carbs for lunch and dinner, not to mention not enough good fats for her hormones to function well. 

Another girl told me the other day. ‘I have lost a lot of weight on a Keto diet’ but she said she feels very tired every day and has started to lose her hair. I mean with Keto you eat very little carbs and high fat. Well, when you don’t eat carbs and workout a lot yes you will lose weight. Again some people only eat less carb but because the percentage of the fat is too high for Keto, they didn’t hit the macro ratio (will explain more about macro later in the article) so they ended up losing weight but had no energy and this might mess with their hormones.

There is no good food and bad food. Chocolate cake isn’t the enemy for your belly. ‘Does it mean I can eat as much cake as I want’? Well If you want to eat as much cake as you want. I want to ask you ‘why do you want to eat that much in the first place’? I mean you can still eat cake but if you feel guilty after you eat it, then maybe it’s not the cake itself that’s bad but it is your emotional baggage that we have to work on. That used to be me… when I was angry, sad or even bored. I turned to food because it gives me comfort but when I started to gain weight, I blame it on food that’s making me fat and unhealthy. I blame that fried chicken for dinner and chips late last night. Then it got to the point that I couldn’t live like this anymore. I want to be able to enjoy my food and not to have to feel bad after I eat ice cream. I have started to write down if I find myself feeling guilty after I eat. 

• Where are you? (location, places).
  • What happened before you reach out for the food? (A fight with your lover? Negative thoughts in your head?)
  • Who are you with? (Be very specific.)
  • What do you feel before and directly after you eat? (Tired? Angry or sad?)

The more I write on my food journal the more I started to see patterns. That someday if I am in a good mood after I have had a piece of cake, I feel fine – no blaming or guilt. But when I have a bad day or get in a fight, I always feel bad after I eat. Another example; I find out that when I feel guilty after chips and soda because most of the time, I feel like I am not good enough. Then what’s the point of trying, I might just as well just eat this “bad food” or someday in my journal I write insecurity and reach out for a tub of ice cream or stuff myself with a whole box of pizza to numb the feelings. Then again, I blame it on the food. 

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/food-and-drink/how-is-your-relationship-with-food/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand

41 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Drivel.

I'm actually shocked that anyone with journalistic aspirations could write such <deleted>...and get it 'published'.

correct proper fasts have 1 meal. Fast for 20 hours. Eats noodles and wonders why cant lose weight 555

• 3 weeks later...