(American) taking wife's surname?

bkk7

I am wondering if this is possible for a man to do when marrying a Thai woman, and what the process is. We've talked about it as we plan to stay here long term. I'd be happy to make my last name into my middle name, or drop it.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

And he swings........and he.............whew that was close, glad the marriage only lasted a few years.....Oh heck now <deleted> do I do. oh yes, have to go to court , get my name changed legally back, get a new birth certificate, pass port, send it to all the creditors, banks, etc...No thank you, keeping my family name.....Are you just plain crazy, it does not or will not give you any advantage whatsoever....

Yes this is possible. The best way to do this to change your name in your home country before you get married. Once you have done this, get your passport reissued with your new name. Take your old and your new passports to immigration and get them to transfer any extension of stay and re-entry permit.

Once this is done, get married.

You can get married then change your name, but it will require extra steps and be slightly harder to achieve.

• Thanks 1

I doubt it, When I was first in Thailand I translated my British surname by myself to written Thai, a document thingy, the official didn't like it although it was correct Thai he said it was written in such a way as if it could be a Thai name so he rewrote it (juggled one letter), it said the same thing but now he said it looks foreign.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CNXman2551 said:

I am male and legally changed my surname to include my Thai partner's back in the USA before moving to Chiang Mai. I now have a hyphenated surname which appears on all of my documents, including my USA issued passport. The general reaction has been positive when others either hear it or read it.  I have gotten smiles to thumbs up to one person saying I didn't look Thai. Only problem is due to my surname's length, signature lines on forms, etc., are never long enough. 555+

does your wife have any rather large well built men that are *friends* of hers ? 

After marriage to my Thai wife in 2002 I changed my surname to her Thai name. It has worked out well and never caused any problem. The main reason for the name change was my original surname had a letter not to be found in the English/American alphabet.

I have been living most my life outside my home country and this special letter did cause me a lot of problems in dealing with banks, immigrations, airlines etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as long as your country allows you to change your name. In the UK you can change it as many times as you like. If you eventually go for a Thai passport, then you are supposed to take a Thai name, so you can use your wife's family name.

Have a friend who changed his name to his step-daughters surname (he got divorced first). It made doing documents for his daughter easier - because he had a Thai sounding name and could just say he was the father.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 1:03 AM, Davo369 said:

Op, I've had a couple of drinks, but... how many have you had ?? 

You wanna make your last name into your middle name or drop it? 

Yes, either make my last name into my middle name or drop it. I think it would be more functional here in Thailand. I've also thought about hyphenating. But us only having my surname isn't something I want.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:32 AM, bwpage3 said:

You must have a reason?

Share that please?

I don't have contact with any of my family anymore and we plan to stay here, so it's more functional. 

On 4/17/2020 at 1:35 AM, Nsp64 said:

You want to change your surname to your wife's Thai name ???

Yes

On 4/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, Why Me said:

I wish to meet you, Khun Quentin Birtwistle Kirkpong.

Thanks

On 4/17/2020 at 4:15 AM, torturedsole said:

You're opening up a whole world of potential pain for your good self, bkk7.  

What plans have you in place to change your name on your passport in your home country?  That's only for starters, obviously.  

Yes, I would then change it on my passport. This is why I made the post. I want to understand the process. I haven't been to my home country in 5 years and have no plans to go back any time soon. But even if I went back, the name change process there is long and requires me to be there for an extended period.