(American) taking wife's surname?

bkk7

On 4/17/2020 at 1:35 AM, Nsp64 said:

You want to change your surname to your wife's Thai name ???

Yes

On 4/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, Why Me said:

I wish to meet you, Khun Quentin Birtwistle Kirkpong.

Thanks

On 4/17/2020 at 4:15 AM, torturedsole said:

You're opening up a whole world of potential pain for your good self, bkk7.  

What plans have you in place to change your name on your passport in your home country?  That's only for starters, obviously.  

Yes, I would then change it on my passport. This is why I made the post. I want to understand the process. I haven't been to my home country in 5 years and have no plans to go back any time soon. But even if I went back, the name change process there is long and requires me to be there for an extended period.

On 4/17/2020 at 4:35 AM, amykat said:

I guess you already gave away your balls so this is just a formality??

classy response. thanks for your help.

On 4/17/2020 at 4:42 AM, mr mr said:

will you also be staying with her *brother* ?

nope. we're very happy. she's a doctor. all of her brothers and sisters have good jobs. her mom has land and a house. we have a condo and a car.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, dubai thai farang said:

Do I read right? I've heard it all now. This is the most blatant wind up on here for a while, or is it?

fact is often stranger than fiction!

a small question to the OP....WHY?

as i said in other responses, i don't have any particular attachment to my surname. i am not in touch with family and we live here in Thailand, so it's more functional. i would also consider hyphenating. 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, samisaurus said:

Mate ..... time for the red pill 

no thanks. i spent years enjoying my time here. i'm happy now.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, marin said:

So do you call yourself Krungthep jet?

lol

On 4/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, ThailandRyan said:

And he swings........and he.............whew that was close, glad the marriage only lasted a few years.....Oh heck now <deleted> do I do. oh yes, have to go to court , get my name changed legally back, get a new birth certificate, pass port, send it to all the creditors, banks, etc...No thank you, keeping my family name.....Are you just plain crazy, it does not or will not give you any advantage whatsoever....

it's an individual choice. i didn't come here to be judged. i came to ask how to do it.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:35 AM, Nsp64 said:

You want to change your surname to your wife's Thai name ???

Yes

On 4/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, Why Me said:

I wish to meet you, Khun Quentin Birtwistle Kirkpong.

Thanks

On 4/17/2020 at 4:15 AM, torturedsole said:

You're opening up a whole world of potential pain for your good self, bkk7.  

What plans have you in place to change your name on your passport in your home country?  That's only for starters, obviously.  

Yes, I would then change it on my passport. This is why I made the post. I want to understand the process. I haven't been to my home country in 5 years and have no plans to go back any time soon. But even if I went back, the name change process there is long and requires me to be there for an extended period.

On 4/17/2020 at 4:35 AM, amykat said:

I guess you already gave away your balls so this is just a formality??

classy response. thanks for your help.

nope. we're very happy. she's a doctor. all of her brothers and sisters have good jobs. her mom has land and a house. we have a condo and a car.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, dubai thai farang said:

Do I read right? I've heard it all now. This is the most blatant wind up on here for a while, or is it?

fact is often stranger than fiction!

a small question to the OP....WHY?

as i said in other responses, i don't have any particular attachment to my surname. i am not in touch with family and we live here in Thailand, so it's more functional. i would also consider hyphenating. 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:13 AM, samisaurus said:

Mate ..... time for the red pill 

no thanks. i spent years enjoying my time here. i'm happy now.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:36 PM, marin said:

So do you call yourself Krungthep jet?

lol

On 4/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, ThailandRyan said:

And he swings........and he.............whew that was close, glad the marriage only lasted a few years.....Oh heck now <deleted> do I do. oh yes, have to go to court , get my name changed legally back, get a new birth certificate, pass port, send it to all the creditors, banks, etc...No thank you, keeping my family name.....Are you just plain crazy, it does not or will not give you any advantage whatsoever....

it's an individual choice. i didn't come here to be judged. i came to ask how to do it.

• Sad 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, blackcab said:

Yes this is possible. The best way to do this to change your name in your home country before you get married. Once you have done this, get your passport reissued with your new name. Take your old and your new passports to immigration and get them to transfer any extension of stay and re-entry permit.

Once this is done, get married.

You can get married then change your name, but it will require extra steps and be slightly harder to achieve.

I haven't been to my home country in 5 years and the regulations there are very bureaucratic and time consuming, including requiring me to spend 3 months there and re-establish residence first. This doesn't fit into my work/life plans. I don't have 3 months to go back there. I would prefer to do it here and then change my passport with that. A marriage certificate is one proof that can be used for it, and for women they can change it to the man's name easily, so I'm looking for a similar option.

I dont know if what you are proposing can be done here or is in fact legal. You are not Thai, and dont have permanent residence I assume. Therefore whatever you choose to call yourself here you cannot change the name in your passport from your home country without required paperwork and process to do so.

I dont know which country you are from but I doubt very much what you are hoping to achieve can be done just by getting married in Thailand.

22 hours ago, fertilizer said:

After marriage to my Thai wife in 2002 I changed my surname to her Thai name. It has worked out well and never caused any problem. The main reason for the name change was my original surname had a letter not to be found in the English/American alphabet.

I have been living most my life outside my home country and this special letter did cause me a lot of problems in dealing with banks, immigrations, airlines etc.

Can I PM to ask about this?

On 4/17/2020 at 4:40 PM, CNXman2551 said:

I am male and legally changed my surname to include my Thai partner's back in the USA before moving to Chiang Mai. I now have a hyphenated surname which appears on all of my documents, including my USA issued passport. The general reaction has been positive when others either hear it or read it.  I have gotten smiles to thumbs up to one person saying I didn't look Thai. Only problem is due to my surname's length, signature lines on forms, etc., are never long enough. 555+

The problem is I live here already. I haven't been back "home" in 5 years and have no plans to go back any time soon, nor do I have time to do that. And, the process is quite time consuming. 

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I dont know if what you are proposing can be done here or is in fact legal. You are not Thai, and dont have permanent residence I assume. Therefore whatever you choose to call yourself here you cannot change the name in your passport from your home country without required paperwork and process to do so.

I dont know which country you are from but I doubt very much what you are hoping to achieve can be done just by getting married in Thailand.

I'm here legally, of course. We're due to be married in a few months and a marriage certificate with a new name is accepted as proof to change the passport name as confirmed on the embassy website, however, this has generally been used for women - although it doesn't specify. So a woman doesn't need to go back to their home country to file for a change... However, I haven't gone through the process yet, so I am trying to find the answer. 

2 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

I'm here legally, of course. We're due to be married in a few months and a marriage certificate with a new name is accepted as proof to change the passport name as confirmed on the embassy website, however, this has generally been used for women - although it doesn't specify. So a woman doesn't need to go back to their home country to file for a change... However, I haven't gone through the process yet, so I am trying to find the answer. 

Well I hope it works out for you and you are not forced to jump through hoops. Please let us know I am genuinely interested in how this works out.

17 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

in this time of hardship i thank you sir kindly for such a wonderful and awesome reply. really made me giggle quite a bit.

• Like 1

In my country, Nethrland, when getting the name by marriage you keep yours and get the family name of your partner as suffix.

Sometimes with a dash and sometimes without.  That's why they talk about 'maiden name'. It was for woman only, but for a few years it is not only womans but also men that can get the name of their partner either man or wife both same sex and non-same sex.

I have a friend he got his last name from his (japan) wife, his own lastname and hers with a - inbetween.

Boris Johnson marrying with Angela Merkel , he can get her name and his name would be Boris Merkel-Johnson.

If you want solely change the lastname and loose your 'maiden' lastname, then you need to change before marriage.

Not every country is easy with this, mine need aproval from the King and even then is restricted to a few Requirements.

I don't know what the policy is for changing your (last)name is in America.

40 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

I haven't been to my home country in 5 years and have no plans to go back any time soon. But even if I went back,

What if you are deported?  Or cant make a VIsa extension? 

42 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

she's a doctor. all of her brothers and sisters have good jobs. her mom has land and a house.

Sounds to me like your well to do, educated family could give you better answers than us "po" folk here on ThaiVisa

31 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

We're due to be married in a few month

Oh my Buddha, you are not even married yet?  Wow, strange priorities, cannot fathom how changing your name makes any real difference in your livelihood or relationship.

But obviously it does to you

Good luck, be well, and stay in touch ☮️

• Like 2

I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 5, and as part of the process he had my last name changed to his.  When I was 12 he was arrested and imprisoned for murder for hire.  As soon as I was old enough I wanted my name changed back to my birth name.  It took three years and a lawyer to assist in regaining my birth name.  Many other documents had to be changed, from not only my birth certificate, but my social security card, and changes made on school transcripts, and diplomas.  Not an easy task, but I was not going to use his family name as I was constantly being asked and teased about my father the murderer.  In the end I am happy to have my original family name.  It is an arduous process to regain what you have given up, and you also have to remember that no matter what there wil still be data bases that need to have letters sent, like the Credit reporting companies, loan companies, and courts if you have ever had any prior court hearings and judgments.  I wish you well.  

My now ex from Thailand, who lives in the US, is now having to go the long task of having her name changed in the US on all her legal documents, and then certified by the Department of State, so they will be notified of the upcoming change to her green card, and her SS card can have the name changed, as well as her Driver License, and on all the bank accounts and property she has now.  She then needs to have the original divorce documents then changed to her maiden name with an attachment at the court, much like Thais do here when they take the name of their husband.  Once it is completed in the US she then needs to have the Thai Embassy in Washington DC certify all the now translated documents, and after getting them certified she needs to have them sent to the local amphur here in Thailand, so that our divorce, which is over 2 years old, can be registered here in Thailand.  Then she needs a new Thai ID Card in her maiden name as per Thai law in order to get a new passport in her maiden name.  Once she has those she needs to have the US Embassy in Bangkok certify that her old name has been changed and give her a travel authorization as her now green card will still have the married name on it.  Once she enters the US, she then must pay to have her name changed on her permanent residence green card, and now that she has re-married another American he will become her sponsor on the DHS Immigration paperwork until she can obtain her citizenship.  However, she wants to change her name to her new husbands family name....as you can see its a total cluster f.....

So good luck in whatever you decide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 5:40 AM, CNXman2551 said:

I am male and legally changed my surname to include my Thai partner's back in the USA before moving to Chiang Mai. I now have a hyphenated surname which appears on all of my documents, including my USA issued passport. The general reaction has been positive when others either hear it or read it.  I have gotten smiles to thumbs up to one person saying I didn't look Thai. Only problem is due to my surname's length, signature lines on forms, etc., are never long enough. 555+

is partner male or female

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

is partner male or female

I do not think it matters as same sex marriages are legal in the US if that is what it is, and at the time of marriage the name can be changed to however you want it done, regardless of gender of partners, and then it is certified by the county recorders office in the county where the marriage was performed, and then the marriage certificate issued which allows you to then obtain whatever documents you need to have changed....

5 hours ago, bkk7 said:

I don't have contact with any of my family anymore and we plan to stay here, so it's more functional. 

You have not explained why this would be “more functional”. The only thing that comes to mind is if you are Asian American and hoping to pass yourself off as Thai?  

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 5:35 PM, CharlieH said:

Well I hope it works out for you and you are not forced to jump through hoops. Please let us know I am genuinely interested in how this works out.

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes. Due to COVID-19 it will be some time before we can actually have the ceremony, etc. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:14 PM, connda said:

What's your point.  You think Thais are going to be more accepting of you because you have a Thai last name.  You'll definitely become an oddity and the brunt of jokes in the Thai community.  It's a patriarchal society.  Thai men will simply look at you like you've lost your mind.

we're not tied down by opinions of other people. 

• Confused 1