Stranded and hungry in Thailand: German pensioner gets 1,000 baht from Thai man

webfact

1 minute ago, smedly said:

did you get your 5k gov handout yet yin, the one they are not paying because your junta say they can't now afford it - no money

No. Not qualify.

only give to worker lose the job.

you get it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

This is not true. There is no state pension in Germany for people who never worked. They need to go to welfare. And another one: This pensioner was due to fly back may be ealier than next week, but that plane might not have been available. So he had to spend the rest of his money for the unplanned longer stay.

For the standard old-age pension the minimum qualifying period is five years of employment. Not sure how much that is currently worth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

Germans State Pension is over 1,000 Euros a month and that is if you haven't worked a single day in your life.

Sorry, but stories like this really p me off.

Total nonsense! In Germany there are plenty of old people living on below 700.- € and that after working - and paying social security taxes - for more that 40 years!

You have not a clue about Germany but think you can comment?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Vernon Wooldridge said:

1000 Euros a month state pension in Germany surely he must an can live on this per month without taking hand outs from Thai's. 

There are no minimum or maximum amounts paid. The overall pension payment for which a person is eligible is calculated by the number of years of contributions to the state pension system, age and average income

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

A lot of TV members are handing out 1000 baht notes and more to hungry and desperate Thais. That never makes the news! Most consider their generosity to be a personal matter and not something to be showcased on the news anyway.

They need to make sure there is friendly photographer to hand.

If you lived abroad for many years, you barely get any state pension. Aside of that, it usually starts at 68 which this guy is not yet.
I personally already lost 15% of my futured state pension by living abroad, by the time I get to 68 it will be 80% or 100% so 0-200 euro per month.

Anyway, this Thai guy is the President of the business association in Khao San area since 2010, sure he could miss it.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

A BENEVOLENT SOCIETY ????,So why the German is still in Thailand when he knew long ago of the situation and what will he do today as the 1000 baht must have ran out by now?

People who do a good deed with sincerity do not advertise their good deeds though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

There must be countless acts of generosity everywhere in the country, regardless of age, race, nationality, why this is making news ?

Because such stories cause a huge loss of face to westerners living here, and they will come out to post vitriolic comments.

• Like 2

Check youtube, there are plenty of video people rescuing animals mostly cats and dogs. Nowadays, people have to take pictures or video of themselves doing something good for attentions and money from views.

8 hours ago, sweatalot said:

This is not true. There is no state pension in Germany for people who never worked. They need to go to welfare. And another one: This pensioner was due to fly back may be ealier than next week, but that plane might not have been available. So he had to spend the rest of his money for the unplanned longer stay.

He would still have an ATM card. I have a German bank account and German pension, I overdrew once past my overdraft limit buying furniture because I had miscalculated when my firms bonus would be paid ( I still get a reduced firms bonus even though retired). I couldn't withdraw money to buy groceries so I rang up my bank explained what had happened and they just increased the overdraft for me....sorted. No reason for a German pensioner to be without money to this extent.

32 minutes ago, sitti said:

Check youtube, there are plenty of video people rescuing animals mostly cats and dogs. Nowadays, people have to take pictures or video of themselves doing something good for attentions and money from views.

There's an article in the paper this morning that more dogs and cats are being eaten in Cambodia and Vietnam, seems that Doctors! are recommending that people eat them because it boosts the immune system.Its in the independent might be behind a pay wall.

Edited by adammike
Additional info
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pravda said:

Germans State Pension is over 1,000 Euros a month and that is if you haven't worked a single day in your life.

Nonsense of the day.

Another proof how careful to be with statements from anonymous internet users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

What is State Pension? Is that the same as unemployment benefits?

well 1000 baht isn't going to last long, and when that's gone then what?! every westerner in thaland had multiple warnings and advice from their home countries, and plenty of time, to go home. any westerner in thailand has chosen to be there, why would you stay somewhere if you didnt have enough money? dumb.

also how about photos of all the farang (not me, i hasten to add) who have been financially supporting thai partners and extended families for years, if not decades - photos of said partners with their begging hands extended and money being handed over please...

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

I does seem to raise questions.

11 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

I don't want to comment this "Framing" story.

But concerning the "Fairy tales" about the "Luxury" German pensions, I'd suggest to "google" about it!
Germany's pensions are ranking at the lower end in Europe, and many are dreaming about a 1000.- Euros pension.
That's why they've to collect pawn bottles from trash cans, welfare meals and so on.

On the other hand, you wouldn't or shouldn't meet those people in Thailand!

There was that German with the elephantitus leg, he did very well on welfare and a bit of begging in Thailand.