Chiang Mai: Thais hit hard as queue for free food goes round the moat

webfact

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

At least people are donating to help feed the folks who are down on there luck in Chiang Mai.  I have donated as well to assist, but in the US there is just one millionaire politician who needs to boast about her daily routine and to me is the New Marie Antoinette.

‘LET THEM EAT ICE CREAM’: Multi-Millionaire Nanci Pelosi Shows Off Freezer Full Of Gourmet Ice Cream As Thousands Line Up At Food Banks.  $14 dollar pints she eats from specialty gourmet stores.

Just think if the top brass here did the same thing, which is kind of what has been done anyway with the meager handouts...

No fan of any politician, but it was a drawer in the freezer with about 10 tubs..........still a pretty stupid thing to do in the current climate.

• Like 1

More people will die on Thai roads in CM in a single day or two than  the entire CV has killed in CM so far....

Driving habits and burning/air pollution are bigger problems in CM than the CV infection rate..

Gov need to get their priorities in order...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

No fan of any politician, but it was a drawer in the freezer with about 10 tubs..........still a pretty stupid thing to do in the current climate.

I am not a fan of any politician, but It's a rub in people faces who have nothing, and for who she is supposed to be helping at this time that's the real issue, as she has stop gapped legislation to help them.  As the article I read also indicated her two Sub Zero refrigerators cost more than some families make in a year, it was a total lack of comprehension on her part.  

It is almost the same as a politician here wearing an Armani Suit, with his matching Silk face mask telling the people he will help and then doing an about face saying they do not have the money to help after one month.

Its why private citizens are helping there brothers and sisters during this crisis, but I fear it is not enough.  It does not matter where you are in the world, the Governments screwed this up big time with one needing to take the blame 100% for creating the issue at hand.

• Like 2

As i post now the Australia Govt are sending 2 A/C to transport Fleeing Aussie Expats from  Philipines largely due to residents being shot dead for leaving isolation to buy rice

pray that the same doe.snt happen here

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Free food being dished out all over the place, but why is it volunteers putting their time and money up, when the government who should be taking the lead are nowhere to be seen?

When do Governments do anything for the people, Ever? You would think there are enough army personnel sitting around doing nothing and they have enough trucks to distribute food throughout the country. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

When do Governments do anything for the people, Ever? You would think there are enough army personnel sitting around doing nothing and they have enough trucks to distribute food throughout the country. 

Have you any idea how many Generals quarters there are to clean and how big these quarters are?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Have you any idea how many Generals quarters there are to clean and how big these quarters are?

Take a trip up the river from Chiang Mai, you can see their sprawling riverside estates.

We went passed one and the men in uniform tending the manicure garden looked very much like armed services uniforms when we slowed down, did not take any photographs wanted to stay afloat.

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Not sure that sub-mariners are cut out for that sort of work. How would their subs reach each major town and city across the country?

They'le be too busy trying to find the escape hatch the first time they submerge with a Thai Skipper !

But a familiar face is gracing the Northern part of Thailand, and it is on bottles of Hand Sanitizer, that he has donated to help the crisis at hand, no pun intended.....

"Fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is back in people’s hands now that he’s donated funds to the opposition Pheu Thai Party to produce bottles plastered with his face for distribution in the northeast, a party MP said yesterday, A smiling Thaksin is printed on every bottle, along with a message reading, “My thoughts are with all Thai people. From Thaksin Shinawatra, the 23rd prime minister of Thailand.”

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Many folks p'od because folks who don't need the 5k are getting it and those who really need it are not.

Exactly the situation here, too. The whole implementation of the scheme has been a shambles, but did anyone expect anything less? My wife was denied the money, but her layabout jobless niece who never lifts a finger got it now everyone seems really annoyed about it.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Ridiculous.

The government cannot be responsible for everything, everyplace in the world.

Many western countries including the US, have food banks and charities with volunteers that rely on sources other then the government to fund them and help people in need of food.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/jeff-bezos-donates-100-million-to-feeding-america-01585936239

Bezos gave 100 million and many others made big donations.

So, instead of complaining about the government, why don't you go down and help yourself by making a donation.

Really ?? boy you would never be my friend .. i completely understand the type of person you are  ... so let me reply to your post   .. i deleted it and replying is not worth it 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Ridiculous.

Many western countries including the US, have food banks and charities with volunteers that rely on sources other then the government to fund them and help people in need of food.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/jeff-bezos-donates-100-million-to-feeding-america-01585936239

So, instead of complaining about the government, why don't you go down and help yourself by making a donation.

Not boasting, not by a long shot. And not because I think I actually know some of those folks in that video, but I donated 20,000 baht. AND, knowing how corrupt Changmai ( and Thailand in general ) I did it in such a way that I knew where every last baht went.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Not sure that sub-mariners are cut out for that sort of work. How would their subs reach each major town and city across the country?

Its a fact that there are more planes in the sea than submarines in the sky.????

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I didn't see or hear (yet) of any rich Thai making any big donations

and just heard Prayut begging them for money 555

Prayut appeals to the 20 richest Thais for help

On 4/16/2020 at 8:14 PM, bkk6060 said:

Ridiculous.

Amen.  The Govt. isn't your Father. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 10:11 AM, ChipButty said:

Lots of people all over Thailand are going hungry we just dont hear about it

Aka , media control . 

This is just the beginning of the end ..

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, darksidedog said:

Free food being dished out all over the place, but why is it volunteers putting their time and money up, when the government who should be taking the lead are nowhere to be seen?

Had the same in Preecha market  Udon thani yesterday afternoon, free food for the needy.

Police in attendance , and well organised ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, ThailandRyan said:

I am not a fan of any politician, but It's a rub in people faces who have nothing, and for who she is supposed to be helping at this time that's the real issue, as she has stop gapped legislation to help them.  As the article I read also indicated her two Sub Zero refrigerators cost more than some families make in a year, it was a total lack of comprehension on her part.  

You say you're no fan of any politician, yet you choose to quibble over a one who has a few bucks of ice cream in her freezer, and not the one whose administration just gave $55 million - to buy 63 cent N95 masks at $5.50 a pop - to a company that has no record at all in the manufacture or distribution of medical equipment, has no employees and previously went bankrupt.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fema-paid-bankrupt-company-no-employees-55-million-n95-masks-2020-4

There are numerous other examples of large amounts of money being misappropriated under this administration.

I would perhaps reconsider the target of your ire. Or at least stop watching Fox News.

17 minutes ago, Moncul said:

You say you're no fan of any politician, yet you choose to quibble over a one who has a few bucks of ice cream in her freezer, and not the one whose administration just gave $55 million - to buy 63 cent N95 masks at $5.50 a pop - to a company that has no record at all in the manufacture or distribution of medical equipment, has no employees and previously went bankrupt.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fema-paid-bankrupt-company-no-employees-55-million-n95-masks-2020-4

There are numerous other examples of large amounts of money being misappropriated under this administration.

I would perhaps reconsider the target of your ire. Or at least stop watching Fox News.

Then try and understand that she and her group are trying to keep money from the public who need it, and keep adding pork to each bill to help their friends.  Its a fair assumption that all administrations prop up who they want, the Clintons did, and of course Obama gave billions to green energy companies which did not produce jack.....so lets try again because I do not care one way or another, but the people should come first and not be used as pawns, much like this government here is doing by closing off borders, and keeping people from working, without having the funds to help them because they have looted the coffers.....now try again...