Fire destroys iconic wooden building in Mae Hong Son

webfact

Fire destroys iconic wooden building in Mae Hong Son

By The Nation

800_4c7565f6714ff26.jpg?v=1587103274

A big fire destroyed an iconic building at the centre of Mae Hong Son province, including the house of a Phalang Pracharat Party member of Parliament.

F0yomqDycmJ3NHtb_093225.jpg

The blaze started at around 2.30am on Friday (April 17) at Crossroad bar, a 70-year-old building made of wood and located in the city centre near Methi Hotel.

fvXbhkk2DEzvd2vK_093650.jpg

The fire spread quickly to four neighbouring buildings, including the house of the MP.

The fire engine sent by Mae Hong Son Municipality could not control the flames so they called for help from neighbouring sub-districts to bring more fire engines.

3QII1NWyECaSTASV_093149.jpg

Governor Suwaphong Kitiphatphibun later visited the scene to check the situation. He said because the fire had started in the heart of the town, the damage was serious.

It was 4.20am before the fire was put out. Estimation of total damage and probe into the cause of the fire is underway.

lLI8V4QpaszRt5ys_093804.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386206

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-17
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

isnt this the building where the old time pub/bar was in?
looks like it

Yes it is/was. Its the «Crossroads» - just in the heart of Mae Hong Son. (Just like the text above says...????)

A very popular waterhole amongst tourists and bikers in Mae Hong Son.

Sad to see it go in this dramatic way...

• Sad 1

Yes sad to see cross roads destroyed, but please spare a thought for the other people whos businesses were destroyed in the blaze.

The massage shop next door, the pharmacy, the Thai restaurant/ bar, next to the pharmacy, good food, beer half price of the cross roads, ate/ drank in there many times.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

A photo taken from the Wat at the top of the hill would help to better situate this fire.

702451520_PB183636_Mae_Hong_Son_from_Wat(Copy).thumb.JPG.271b2a55932cd1367d64767ac8f5f1a1.JPG

I hope my friend Titan's bike shop is not destroyed

1085716844_PB193670_Titan_bicycle_shop(Copy).thumb.JPG.370dd788f6617e9d3c5cf75a15884feb.JPG

Is this magnificent house that was destroyed?

P1000846_Mae_Hong_Son.thumb.JPG.cb4edea497cb47dca8817ab104eb682f.JPG

I don't think the crossroads shows in that photo, if it does is is only a glimpse of the roof at top left corner.

The building in your bottom photo is nowhere near, it is on the opposite side of the lake, at least a kilometre distant, and is not wooden.

Those original teak buildings are very old, and a great architectural loss. One would hope some public spirited hiso would rebuild them in style, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, phuketrichard said:

isnt this the building where the old time pub/bar was in?
looks like it

This was home of the crossroads Bar on the cornor. Drank a few beers in there over the years. The Bldg was on the Historic register because of its age. Hope Sombat the owner got out ok and the other residence located near  by

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

I don't think the crossroads shows in that photo, if it does is is only a glimpse of the roof at top left corner.

The building in your bottom photo is nowhere near, it is on the opposite side of the lake, at least a kilometre distant, and is not wooden.

Those original teak buildings are very old, and a great architectural loss. One would hope some public spirited hiso would rebuild them in style, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

At the top of the photo is the hospital, Cross roads is due west on your photo but not in it not even close.