Big bike speed

Kwasaki

30 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Fastest I've gone is about 160 on a trip when a group of us were coming back from somewhere (Sisaket I think). We'd been doing around 140 on some of that "wobbly" road where there are those undulations in the road - that was scary enough. Then a couple <deleted> on a scooter decided to start zooming in between us and were trying to catch the front guy. They must have been so far past the "red line" that the engine was probably on the verge of melting (or exploding).

The guy leading us saw (and heard) what they were doing and cracked the throttle and naturally we all did too. Suddenly we're doing 160 on that "wobbly" road and I'm thinking I'm a pebble or tiny piece of debris away from become highway pizza.

Took a few minutes to get far enough ahead of those numpties that they finally gave up (or their engine died) and we "slowed" back to 140.

Usually when I'm riding on a long trip with a group of Thais, we stick to 120/130ish, depending on traffic. Unfortunately, it seems they try to keep that speed even in a blinding monsoon !! Mother ****er - I can't see the road under the 2-3 inches of water, cars and trucks are flying past like it's a warm sunny day, and my buddies are still trying pass them !

Alone though, I generally stick to around 110/120. I'm usually not in a hurry to get where I'm going, or to come back from there. Like I tell my friends, if I wanted to race everywhere, I'd have bought a racing bike instead of a "cruiser" (which, in my case, means a Harley Heritage Softail Classic). Great for just cruising along and enjoying the ride.

Yep 160 mph is fast enough. ????

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yep 160 mph is fast enough. ????

And kph too, that's when I get nervous on my Versys 650. It's pretty smooth at that speed on a straightaway though. One issue I have is that the Thai motorists are not expecting a motorcycle to be going much faster that 60 so they'll will cut or turn in front of you. Good thing I have ABS and ride defensively. . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prism said:

And kph too, that's when I get nervous on my Versys 650. It's pretty smooth at that speed on a straightaway though. One issue I have is that the Thai motorists are not expecting a motorcycle to be going much faster that 60 so they'll will cut or turn in front of you. Good thing I have ABS and ride defensively. . 

Yeah 160 kph the 160 mph was having a funny dig at Harley's in Thailand because he mentioned scooters getting among them when riding.

When I come up behind a Harley group they take the whole road up and you have to weave inside outside of em.  

On my Versys use to do 160 kph on Road 12 curvy bits on the way to CM she would be steady as a rock do almost 180 kph on the clock and I had put a larger rear sprocket which owners groups say it makes the Versys speedo read nearer to the accurate speed. 

Maybe you have not set your suspension up properly for you if you find it unstable at bends.

58 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

I often ride 160 km/h, but I always slow down when I get to a U-turn.

130 km/h would be too slowly on a highway. 

Luv you too bro or sis. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taninthai said:

It’s actually pretty difficult to keep speeds 150 and above when on roads with other vehicles especially the highways,you know how Thais like to sit in the outside lane and not move over.

therefor you then are constantly on and off the throttle or zipping in and out different lanes undertaking or overtaking,this type of riding uses a lot of concentration and you soon start to become stressed and annoyed with other road users,,,much easier to relax enjoy the ride and drop speeds to around 130-140.

Finding routes away from main roads is best when planning a trip I find.

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Finding routes away from main roads is best when planning a trip I find.

Yep that’s what I do mostly and find them roads are not really suitable for the higher speeds anyway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Yep that’s what I do mostly and find them roads are not really suitable for the higher speeds anyway.

Yeah but many of the roads we come across are nice bends and smooth tarmac, sometimes there's a straight bit you come across.

I started OP with big bike speed it's not just about top end as I have said before. 

1 hour ago, moose7117 said:

I have heard that it is possible to cover fair distances in Thailand in short periods of time.

I have heard of a local lad who shall remain anonymous who got from Sukhumvit S0I 42 to Prachuap Khiri khan beach in 2.5 hours.

On a Z900 Of all things.

Not that far easily possible only 280 kilos aprox.

I used to ride between Bangkok and Pattaya a lot, before the motorway become 'closed' system you could ride from Pattaya to Chonburi on the motorway, the road surface was bad, back then it was pure undulating concrete, these days they had tarmac over the concrete now. Any time you make is lost on the Bangna road where under the expressway, doing any decent speeds means no reaction time for you to react to the many potholes and the blind u turn across the road that has  no chance of seeing you.

Could still sneak back on the motorway just around the Airport to Rama 9 if it's late enough

• Like 2

5 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

3 h 57 min (292.0 km) via Route 35 and Route 4 ( with a car from Google)

It's possible. 

as against 2.5 hours, give up say 10 mins for fuel and <deleted> stops, it is possible but he was moving.

AVERAGING @  122 KPH FROM CENTRAL BANGKOK.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, moose7117 said:

as against 2.5 hours, give up say 10 mins for fuel and <deleted> stops, it is possible but he was moving.

AVERAGING @  122 KPH FROM CENTRAL BANGKOK.

So you just confirm my opinion on KPH as a measure of speed average as pussy speed.

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2020 at 6:50 PM, teacherclaire said:

I often ride 160 km/h, but I always slow down when I get to a U-turn.

130 km/h would be too slowly on a highway. 

Thanks for joining in can't remember if ever in the "Motorcycles in Thailand " women's point of view.

Out of interest what bike do you have presently. ?

On 4/22/2020 at 1:56 PM, Kwasaki said:

How did the bottle of Yamalube 80 oil get over 120kph. ????

A bike engine even if used gently can be abused again.

It was easy I had to totally tuck it on the seat & put my head thru the handlebars. the bike did 80 MPH till; it overheated. My 175 Honda back in 76 did more The 80 was a 2 stroke & like most 2 strokes would really get up & go but being air cooled would always overheat after 30 minutes wide open. It was free & I rode it twice form San Francisco to Los Angeles & was able to make highway speed on the freeway till it shut down for 10 minutes & back online again. Then I got a real nice 1300 Haybusa! And 4 tickets for speed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Beardog said:

It was easy I had to totally tuck it on the seat & put my head thru the handlebars. the bike did 80 MPH till; it overheated. My 175 Honda back in 76 did more The 80 was a 2 stroke & like most 2 strokes would really get up & go but being air cooled would always overheat after 30 minutes wide open. It was free & I rode it twice form San Francisco to Los Angeles & was able to make highway speed on the freeway till it shut down for 10 minutes & back online again. Then I got a real nice 1300 Haybusa! And 4 tickets for speed.

Nice one buddy, busa's to me are straight line lunatic's but the "G" force acceleration is thrilling.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 9:21 AM, taninthai said:

It’s actually pretty difficult to keep speeds 150 and above when on roads with other vehicles especially the highways,you know how Thais like to sit in the outside lane and not move over.

therefor you then are constantly on and off the throttle or zipping in and out different lanes undertaking or overtaking,this type of riding uses a lot of concentration and you soon start to become stressed and annoyed with other road users,,,much easier to relax enjoy the ride and drop speeds to around 130-140.

My brave Thai mate I thought did the GPS thingy but with him clinging on the back screaming stop he reckoned 167 mph converted from kilos. ???? ????

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, Kerryd said:

we stick to 120/130ish

Seems to be the sweet spot, high speeds fatigue you quick.

In former areas of no speed limits (Northern Territory Australia for example) they found most motorists averaged around 130

Edited by Jdiddy

On 4/17/2020 at 11:48 PM, Kwasaki said:

I've pretty much been all over Thailand on motorcycle, the good road far out way the bad I have found.

Potholes everywhere I find that an exaggeration really, where do you live.

Stay away from most of the back roads in Phichit province, I have been here nearly 15 years and some of these roads have not been repaired in that time.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 1:05 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes, going very fast on certain places on a good road I know but not for a very long time.

I have a certain route I do often, I know where I can gun it and where I can't.

Sometimes potholes can appear overnight, especially if they are used by big trucks, so be careful.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 1:29 PM, Beardog said:

Ya 130 KPH shifting to 3rd gear. What is the sense in having a road bike & going scooter speeds? 160 usual for me but my 650 Kawi is punched out to a 833 with 800 gears & all new hot electrics used in the Kawasaki Brazilian's race team over 180KPH I am at the track. <deleted> my Yamalube 80 back in 1977 went over 120KPH...But not for too long it would overheat & shut down. Personally7 being a mechanic I would stay far away from any bike that is over 600 cc that never seen over 120 or 130 KPH as it will probably be a grandma motor that does not have any Boogie to it & has never been rappe4d out to high RPMS in the begging to lap the valves properly.Not ran full time but 3 short hot bursts to seat the valves as a high performance engine opposed to a slow ass motor that lasts forever.

I mis-posted twice sorry The bike speedometer went up to 80 MPH. I road it pegged till it needed to cool down & not always a solid 80 MPH on  a 10 hr journey. I( meant 120 Kilos per hour which is roughly 80 MPH) the frame would have dumped me on my ass much more than 80 MPh & the bike didn't especially like being maxed out even with the mods I did to it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beardog said:

The bike speedometer went up to 80 MPH.

As you can see mine only goes to 190? 

Speedo.jpg&key=43b691cfb13c368ba729dfc7f

But one time I did have it up to Nippon Seiki . Can't remember where though. 

I went for a we jaunt yesterday and got caught in a short rainstorm, lesson for the day, modern bikes have traction control for a reason.

6th gear, 140 kph, roll on throttle a wee bit aggressively and rear wheel starts spinning.

so its back to the Aerox, when its raining, for me.

Moose

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

As you can see mine only goes to 190? 

Speedo.jpg&key=43b691cfb13c368ba729dfc7f

But one time I did have it up to Nippon Seiki . Can't remember where though. 

Mine too but has kph under the mph.

1993-Honda-CBR900-gauges-730x485.jpg.62e31d6c8573d136743e23057de12568.jpg

• Like 1