Help deciphering DVD Player Settings Menu

Sheryl

My DVD player died so I bought a new one on Lazada which before getting I verified is supposed to be able to play DVDs from all regions. Well it is spitting out all my US (NTSC) disks with a message that I think says  unable to read the disk. I tried to see if there was a way to change setting in the Home Menu but it is all in Thai. I found language listed in one section only and changing that to English had no effect, the menu is still in Thai.

I'm going to post pix of the various screens. If anyone can figure out which one might do the trick to select for NTSC or render the menu in Englush I'll be much obliged. 

20200417_205040.jpg

20200417_205131.jpg

20200417_205204.jpg

20200417_205422.jpg

20200417_205432.jpg

20200417_205502.jpg

20200417_205514.jpg

20200417_205525.jpg

20200417_205502.jpg

20200417_205626.jpg

20200417_205653.jpg

20200417_205722.jpg

20200417_205535.jpg

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

20200417_205422.jpg

Hi! On this menu, you have the settings for language. The menu to the right: The first one is english already. The second and the third are set to Thai. Change the second and the third to same like the first one, and you will have all english on the DVD. I hope! ???? 

Edited by Matzzon

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Hi! On this menu, you have the settings for language. The menu to the right: The first one is english already. The second and the third are set to Thai. Change the second and the third to same like the first one, and you will have all english on the DVD.

Thanks, that actually did nto do it but the menu below it gave an option which did.

Still can't play anything but the menu at least is in English!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, that actually did nto do it but the menu below it gave an option which did.

Still can't play anything but the menu at least is in English!

Ok, I saw that it was a section in the menu below too, but I thought you would figure that out because it had the same choices. Glad to hear it worked.

That you can´t play some countries DVD´s has to do with that the player probably locked to Asian region. You must have a region free DVD-player for those or a DVD you bought in the same country as the DVD´s

As above post, there might also be a region setting in the menu.

Edited by Matzzon

There doesn't seem to be a region setting on the  Menu options

And this player is supposed to do all regions

Anyhow no longer a Thai translation issue (Thanks!) so I will move this to the AV forum

it is a Pioneer DV-2242

read the manual 

page 5

page 7

your dvd player will only play the specific region your in or discs that are labeled all

your usa discs will be region specific

they gave you information based on ALL label
sorry

i will do a quick web search see if there is a flash firmware

Edited by andy72

try this

How do I unlock the region code on my DVD player?
Region coding can, in most cases, be removed from your DVD player using a simple remote-control code that unlocks the player.
Here's the best part.
  1. Power on.
  2. Open tray.
  3. Push the info on remote once (with supplied remote). You will see numbers.
  4. Press 9 for multi-region. ...
  5. Power off.
  6. Power on.

or

press menu
enter
display
condition
then choose which region
1,2,3,4 or 5 by pressing that number.

then enter again.

ok these are a bit of a pain this is not your model but its same manufacturer 

watch 

watching these two gives you the idea of how to do it

sounds like a bit of a pain though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLaNNnp2xQ

Edited by andy72

12 hours ago, blackcab said:

@Sheryl Look on the exterior of the cardboard box. Is there a label that says "Region"? On or near that is there a number or a ticked box? Possibly with the number "3"?

Yes it does say 3.

But shop said it would play all regions.

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The machine has been locked to region 3 and will only play DVDs manufactured for these areas: Southeast Asia, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

In an unlocked state the machine can play all DVDs, but this machine has been locked at the factory.

Some machines can be unlocked by using the the remote control and inputting a code sequence. The seller may be able to give you that sequence.

If not, they miss sold you.

(I have looked online and I can't find any mention of a code sequence being available for your model).

13 hours ago, andy72 said:

try this

How do I unlock the region code on my DVD player?
Region coding can, in most cases, be removed from your DVD player using a simple remote-control code that unlocks the player.
Here's the best part.
  1. Power on.
  2. Open tray.
  3. Push the info on remote once (with supplied remote). You will see numbers.
  4. Press 9 for multi-region. ...
  5. Power off.
  6. Power on.

or

press menu
enter
display
condition
then choose which region
1,2,3,4 or 5 by pressing that number.

then enter again.

ok these are a bit of a pain this is not your model but its same manufacturer 

watch 

watching these two gives you the idea of how to do it

sounds like a bit of a pain though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLaNNnp2xQ

Thanks. Tried all of these but mone worked.

1. There is no "info" button on the remote.

15871840030888344012723616009815.jpg

2. Display menu does not have a "condition" option.

3. Nothing happened after following these instructions. (There is no "ok" button on remote so I pressed "enter".)

4. Nothing happens no menu appears.

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If your laptop has a dvd player one option is to play the dvd in the laptop and connect a cable between the laptop and your TV.

Exactly the same process as connecting your laptop to a projector when you make a presentation.

Yes I know I can use laptop (though for some reason it shows everything in black and white only). But I just bought this DVD player and no point in having it if I can't get it to play.

I contacted the store. They fave instructions which also did not wirk.

I have the manual but it sheds no light.

Starting to think they sent me wrong DVD player.. 

23 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The machine has been locked to region 3 and will only play DVDs manufactured for these areas: Southeast Asia, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

In an unlocked state the machine can play all DVDs, but this machine has been locked at the factory.

Some machines can be unlocked by using the the remote control and inputting a code sequence. The seller may be able to give you that sequence.

If not, they miss sold you.

(I have looked online and I can't find any mention of a code sequence being available for your model).

Seller told me this

7b729398b9a39b4143a3635035f1a495.png

I i this and after doing it I noticed it says "NTC" in upper right corner but still will not play disk.

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes I know I can use laptop (though for some reason it shows everything in black and white only). But I just bought this DVD player and no point in having it if I can't get it to play.

Must say I am amazed that in this day and age on would still buy something like a DVD player. Mine is somewhere in the garage, since I bought a Synology NAS.

Just now, Boomer6969 said:

Must say I am amazed that in this day and age on would still buy something like a DVD player. Mine is somewhere in the garage, since I bought a Synology NAS.

I have a huge collection of DVD from the pre-UB era.

Which I would like to watch.

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes it does say 3.

Sometime ago I inquired about whether a DVD player sold on Lazada was region free and the response I received was "Yes, we deliver free to all regions"!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

I have a huge collection of DVD from the pre-UB era.

Which I would like to watch.

Most of which can probably be downloaded, and if you own a DVD copy you remain legit. Hunting older videos can be also be  fun. Otherwise ripping DVDs, unlike ripping BRs shouldn't be too difficult. 

8 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Sometime ago I inquired about whether a DVD player sold on Lazada was region free and the response I received was "Yes, we deliver free to all regions"!  

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 11.57.21 AM.png

But I think you re right, they id not know what they were talking about and back to the shop it must go.

50 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Most of which can probably be downloaded, and if you own a DVD copy you remain legit. Hunting older videos can be also be  fun. Otherwise ripping DVDs, unlike ripping BRs shouldn't be too difficult. 

It takes days on end to find some videos (if indeed one can) an I personally don't find it at all fun.

Not about to spend months of my life trying to reassemble a perfectly good DVD (many hundreds of DVDs) collection online.

I have applied to return the player. I suspect the company was confused between system type (PAL/NTSC) and region. This one does play NTSC but does not play all regions.

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have applied to return the player. I suspect the company was confused between system type (PAL/NTSC) and region. This one does play NTSC but does not play all regions.

The silly region lock is often found on brand name DVD players..( though most could be unlocked by the remote control or via a firmware update)

most no name players from  (gasp) China will play everything and are very very cheap.even the Thai brands like Soken and AJ  play "everything"

56 minutes ago, johng said:

even the Thai brands like Soken and AJ  play "everything"

Yes, n those were what I used to get but the disc reader  broke so quickly that I decided to go for a name brand.