Bangkok governor speaks out after Don Muang charity free-for-all prompts virus spread fears

rooster59

Bangkok governor speaks out after Don Muang charity free-for-all prompts virus spread fears

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTYxNi84MDgzNjAyL2Rvbm11YW5nLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

More than 1,000 people turned up at Wat Don Muang in northern Bangkok yesterday morning after it was announced that the needy could get cash and emergency supply handouts.

A group had said that they would hand out 500 baht to members of the public and 1,000 baht to taxi drivers. Care packages including food and basic essentials were available for those that queued.

There were huge queues one kilometer around the block prompting fears that the handout could do more harm than good by spreading Covid-19 due to the lack of social distancing measures.

Local official Dr Phaitoon Ngammuk said that the Don Muang district was not informed so their officials couldn't be on the ground to help with spacing people out.

Later the governor of Bangkok Aswin Kwanmuang stepped in to urge charities to tell the authorities when they are planning handouts.

He said he would not ban such gatherings but districts need to know when they are happening so they could suggest and implement measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

This would avoid the situation where people get close to each other in a desperate scramble for goods.

Source: Sanook and Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-18

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Any comment as to how many got it ? And how many went either went with their wife for a 2nd handout or went to the back of the cue when finished ? 

Maybe their hand is stamped with an indelible marker to stop them asking twice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nip said:

I have been wondering over the past few week's where have all the pre virus so called humanitarians gone? I'm not just talking about Thailand but in particular the Shins, Branson, Geldoff, Bono and their like! Cometh the Day Goeth the Man it seems. 

Yes, very very quiet from the rich 'philanthropists'. 

"But the government is calling the 20 richest men in the country to fight the virus."
I'm thinking the government and those 20 richest men should aim their gaze at the street before fighting viruses becomes the second thing on their list to fight.

• Like 1

walking with the wife yesterday and we came upon a Queue in Jomtien by Soi Watt Boon

there must of been a few hundred as the Thai people were like sardines, the

wife informed me that it was a  charity and food handout.

but just before by the market further up the road, it was busy and people did not seem to try

and do the social distancing, it makes a mockery of the closure of restaurants and other places

we did wear masks and tried to keep a couple of yards away from others, but a lot did not seem

to  be bothered.  

10 hours ago, Nip said:

I have been wondering over the past few week's where have all the pre virus so called humanitarians gone? I'm not just talking about Thailand but in particular the Shins, Branson, Geldoff, Bono and their like! Cometh the Day Goeth the Man it seems. 

Don't forget Lily Allen.  

Last I heard they were all too busy housing refugees in their respective mansions.   

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

so no regard for the current law about distancing? Not surprised really.  But they sure will prosecute a farang.  If going to allow these crowds, they might as well open up many of the businesses and just roll the dice

Yep. The whole lockdown thing just becomes a joke with mass gatherings allowed and minor infringements being hammered.

• Like 2

Any one who made this situation occur should be arrested for being so stupid.

The crowds that showed up were just as stupid for not distancing, as everyone has been made aware of the importance. Anyone who does not know about distancing, must live underground without communication means.  What  a duh event...

Geezer

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Earth to Bangkok governor to Prayut pay everyone that applied for 5000pm x3 instead of the 1 in 6 that got the first payment and forget the rest????

At least that. Mobilise the military, including reserves of over 500,000 personnel. Distribute food packages on a weekly basis..eggs, noodles, rice etc. No gatherings, and those that are really in need will benefit the most....it's not rocket science and the government can easily afford it. Other countries in the region are doing it...why can't Thailand

• Like 2

Why not get the Army out doing this job? I remember the Tsunami the Army and the Navy was getting stuck in clearing up the mess people on the street corners handing out bottles of water well organised by Mr T

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kotsak said:

Problem is that these handout events also gather people who just want a freebie and do not belong in the "needy and desperate" group.

I fear you are correct, I feel really sorry for those who are in need of some help, money or supplies as they are in a desperate situation, but as we all know any "freebie" handout is met with thousands of Thais who would queue all night for something.

As for the "one thousand" number quoted I think that was a very conservative estimate.

walking with the wife yesterday and we came upon a Queue in Jomtien by Soi Watt Boon

there must of been a few hundred as the Thai people were like sardines, the

wife informed me that it was a  charity and food handout.

but just before by the market further up the road, it was busy and people did not seem to try

and do the social distancing, it makes a mockery of the closure of restaurants and other places

we did wear masks and tried to keep a couple of yards away from others, but a lot did not seem

to  be bothered.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Any one who made this situation occur should be arrested for being so stupid.

The crowds that showed up were just as stupid for not distancing, as everyone has been made aware of the importance. Anyone who does not know about distancing, must live underground without communication means.  What  a duh event...

Geezer

distancing! they are likely poor and hungry, what the -- do they care about distancing!

That is a concern for the non-poor 

Being hungry and poor is no excuse for not following simple rules, but of course there are people on the forum who will find any excuse to say that only the rich and non hungry are smart enough

to follow rules. I know of many rich who are the exact opposit and break rules and laws

every day.  

Geezer