Red Number Plates for New Car Latest News

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This doesn't make sense, because when you register the car the DLT will issue the blue book and the white license plates. Red license plates are used for unregistered cars.

So if the car gets officially registered on Wednesday you will also get the white plates then, unless maybe you requested some special numbers.

Yep, didn't make sense to me either. I didn't request any special numbers. Perhaps by "up to 45 days" he meant I might want to register it later. I'll get some clarifications on Monday.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:00 AM, jackdd said:

This doesn't make sense, because when you register the car the DLT will issue the blue book and the white license plates. Red license plates are used for unregistered cars.

So if the car gets officially registered on Wednesday you will also get the white plates then, unless maybe you requested some special numbers.

We will go to DLT to register, but will only get the book and the plates a week later (an improvement from 45 days ha), because "they need to print them". Makes any sense? This is in Chiang Mai BTW.

Edited by XGM

There was probably a misunderstanding about "register the car as early as Wednesday" when it sounds like apply for the registration on Wednesday.

Good news on the 1-week plate delivery though. Car sales are down so I can't imagine it taking the 4 to 6 weeks (and more) of the good old days.

What did you get BTW?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There was probably a misunderstanding about "register the car as early as Wednesday" when it sounds like apply for the registration on Wednesday.

Good news on the 1-week plate delivery though. Car sales are down so I can't imagine it taking the 4 to 6 weeks (and more) of the good old days.

What did you get BTW?

I got a Honda HRV (EL Grade).

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got to go the the Land Transport office with the dealer's guy last week, and submitted a form with a copy of my passport and a certificate of residence. Today the dealer says they just received the car registration book but not the white plates. Apparently, they need to be "printed and sent from Bangkok". Well, last week he said we'll get them this week. Does THAT make sense?

Edited by XGM