Thailand's Covid-19 mortality rate among lowest in the world

rooster59

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The Dr on FCCT yesterday sort of blurted it out. 1-2/1000 test positive ( I hope there's a transcript, this is IIRC), 33 confirmations would mean at least 33k tests, or the ballpark ratio he mentioned was pulled out of thin air.

Ohh the symbolism

37 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Where I come from nobody goes to hospital for flu or a common cold.

Here in Thailand, the wards are full of flu cases. 

The first symptoms of illness the Thais are straight to the chemist, returning with a bag full of pills.

Weak you say?

None of what you just said disproves my opinion that Thai's on average have a healthier immune systems than westerners.  Yes Weak, as is your argument

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I checked nextstrain, Thailand has not uploaded the genomes they sequenced a few days ago, but expressly mentioned they were not the Italian strain.

In the map Thailand seems to be the recipient from China, then a few strains originated from here.

It could well be many of us have had the early Wuhanese light strain. It's imperative MoPH tests for antibodies randomly.

More circumstantial evidence: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/south-korea-coronavirus-retesting-positive-intl-hnk/index.html

Seems re-infection might be possible. It would indicate same as with flu: immunity to one strain does not work for the other. 

26 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

None of what you just said disproves my opinion that Thai's on average have a healthier immune systems than westerners.  Yes Weak, as is your argument

Of course 

Thai thai immune and culture and soul and spirit is above all other humanity.  Without peer.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

More testing tends to lower, not raise, mortality rates because it is the mil/asymptomatic cases that are missed.

Mortality rates ARE low in Thailand and also in Cambodia. At least in part due to younger age of patients (reflecting younger demographic and also no outbreaks in nursing homes - which not many elderly are in any how -- which have been a key source of deaths in western countries).

There may be other reasons as well not yet known but certainly age plays a big part.

This is hardly the "beginning", first case was months back and based on travel patterns from Wuhan the virus almost certainly was here no later than late December.

@Sheryl

Do you think obesity might play a part ? Many Western countries especially the US have a very high percentage of obese people 

Just a thought 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

They throw all these numbers and percentages out there, to make it look like they have a clue about whats happening...

But they still can't say how many people have actually been tested or are being tested !! 

If these are genuine numbers then there is no justification for curfews and business closures now... Oh but we have to worry about the 2nd wave right.....

And the third and forth, this thing is here to stay for years so there isn’t much point in hibernating until everyone is royally screwed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Toany said:

It is relative to the amount of testing done.  The government has already stated that it cannot afford mass testing.

must remember Thailand is next to China so it would not be good for Thailand to have to strong a dose or it could backfire on China

I read some scientific research that looked at the effect of capsicum and it has anti viral properties that if eaten alot would enhance the immune system against viral and bacterial infections - this reportwas way before this covid 19 outbreak but i suggest people look into this as it is digested and other plants - cumin is known to help the gut and lower the chances of stomach cancer

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JGV said:

I read some scientific research that looked at the effect of capsicum and it has anti viral properties that if eaten alot would enhance the immune system against viral and bacterial infections - this reportwas way before this covid 19 outbreak but i suggest people look into this as it is digested and other plants - cumin is known to help the gut and lower the chances of stomach cancer

Take cover, all the pseudo scientists are preparing a smear campaign.

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

They throw all these numbers and percentages out there, to make it look like they have a clue about whats happening...

But they still can't say how many people have actually been tested or are being tested !! 

If these are genuine numbers then there is no justification for curfews and business closures now... Oh but we have to worry about the 2nd wave right.....

Of course it’s justified to have curfews because without them you’d have a much more severe situation! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JGV said:

There's a whole thread about immune system on the COVID-19 forum here on TVF. In short, it's a new virus, immune system doesn't have anything against it unless you already had it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Of course it’s justified to have curfews because without them you’d have a much more severe situation! 

Thats not true. Theres is data available on this by now and it was studied. Lockdown got no effect on virus. Its seasinal, it will come back anyway. I saw some study 2 days ago on it. 

And u should quarantine sick not everyone. Restricting movevement is a tyrany. 

Edited by Xaos
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

But you have a clue. Right?

5 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

There seems to be some evidence that contrary to what is assumed, smokers actually have better survival rates from Covid-19 than non-smokers. Chinese are heavy smokers and yet the death rates from Covid-19 are relatively low.  Possibly something in Thai cigarettes that makes them safer??

5.56% is the case fatality rate for China. I wouldn’t call that low.

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

How do you know they are unreliable? I would say they are more reliable than your opinion. 

have you been tracking the numbers? number of tests isn't being provided as part of their daily announcement. When the tests do get updated on worldmeters it jumps up. What reliable numbers have you got? provide source please, thanks

• Like 1

In the end it's highly likely that every country will have about the same percentage. I'll come back to this in a couple of years.

A percentage of 1.7% will be orders of magnitude higher than the actual fatality rate once this is all over and we look back on it knowing what percentage of the population has been infected through the use of antibody tests.

I have a hunch that antibody tests won't be very available in Thailand for some reason.

Oh, for Chris's sake, how many test have you done per day for the past 10 days? Then, and only then, WE will tell you whether your rate is among the best in the world. Be a good boy, don't make me swear now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toany said:

It is relative to the amount of testing done.  The government has already stated that it cannot afford mass testing.

therein lays the answer... 2,733 reported numbers of infected, low deaths yet 660,000 PUI which are technically off the books !

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1