Thailand's Covid-19 mortality rate among lowest in the world

rooster59

1 minute ago, sucit said:

Who would not get better? You got some of the best hospital food in the world, and the nurses are not bad for morale. 

Ermh.. ok I was about to write that while in ICU the nurses would not matter but I know that's not true. I messed up my finger working at construction a few decades ago, and once on morpine, my first comment was "nice <deleted>". It does matter.

17 minutes ago, Kks88 said:

Mate thais openly eat from the same bowl, drink from the same cups none of this has stopped especially rurally. Public transport is filthy. Bangkok is as overpopulated as New York. Markets still overflowing. Social distancing is not happening outside of bkk. There is no way covid has somehow mostly skipped Thailand especially when the government openly welcomed Chinese tourists when it was all kicking off.

The numbers are clearly underreported. It is not a conspiracy it is common sense

You can't hide hundreds of people dying and hospitals overfilling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sucit said:

Who would not get better? You got some of the best hospital food in the world, and the nurses are not bad for morale. 

Neither of which are acceptable substitutes for good education and good training. That is not to impute any lack of integrity or compassion, but it is what it is and little more needs to be said on that topic at this time.

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

lockdowns could be opened up

Ah, they will open the lockdowns anyway, and should it evolve like Wuhan, they will just control the media and fake the number of deaths.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ermh.. ok I was about to write that while in ICU the nurses would not matter but I know that's not true. I messed up my finger working at construction a few decades ago, and once on morpine, my first comment was "nice <deleted>". It does matter.

Some of those nurses perk people up. It matters. ????

1 hour ago, sucit said:

You can't hide hundreds of people dying and hospitals overfilling. 

Of course you can. This is not the first world, this is the Third World, the wild, wild East. You simply cannot have expectations consistent with one, while living in the other..

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Neither of which are acceptable substitutes for good education and good training. That is not to impute any lack of integrity or compassion, but it is what it is and little more needs to be said on that topic at this time.

Western doctors are way overrated, at least right now, when it comes to this. They have no idea what it is or what to do. They are completely clueless. Hell, we do not even necessarily know if ventilators are actually effective. They probably are but i bet we do not even know it for certain. https://time.com/5820556/ventilators-covid-19/

Edited by sucit

2 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Of course you can. This is not the first world, this is the Third World, the wild East, wild East. You simply cannot have expectations consistent with one, while living in the other..

Why don't you just head off to a few of hospitals and convince yourself then?

There is even a video up somewhere of a nurse in New York being stopped on the street and saying the hospitals were empty and it was overblown. 

Just now, ParkerN said:

I seriously doubt that you can do that, even if your diagnosis proves to be correct.

Sure i can, the level can be gauged.  There is no question whether or not he suffers from it, that is obvious from the tone and mannerism of his post.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah. Antibody test results are now popping up and this seems common. It could be entirely feasible a large portion of Thais already got it from the original Wuhan tourists and there is a form of herd immunity in place. There certainly is a blaring discrepancy between the air travel patterns prior to shutdown and the official infection numbers.

400-600 baht a pop for a test, I haven't heard anything about the PTT/MIT/co test being used and indeed usurpers are saying it's not useful to test. A complete show of stupidity, because if a lot of Thais already have antibodies, the lockdowns could be opened up. Instead, keep on not testing and causing economic havoc. We need mass testing to get the data that is needed for good policy decisions.

You are 100% right, effective testing is the key to everything.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

You are 100% right, effective testing is the key to everything.

Yeah, but Uncle P can let the "stupid" "virused" western countries do the testing, and then he gets data for free that he can somewhat extrapolate.

Meanwhile, China can continue to come up with attempts to screw the models. 

Thailand is scared to do randomised antibody testing, you see, because then, they will be singled out. "Oh, look at what's happening in Thailand".

Better just let the US do it.

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

My two-cents is that I'm from the UK and, having been in Thailand all throughout this pandemic, I can't tell whether the official numbers are under-reported and find it really confusing.

My experience was that Thailand seemed to act sooner than western countries and it really kicked in after the Chinese New year (early Feb). In the UK, it happened much later. This confused 'logic' was that as Thailand is geographically 'closer' to China, it would be hit harder - but flight data shows that international flights continued to leave Wuhan during the lockdown - so that just spread the virus everywhere - UK, US, Italy, Australia. So whether Thailand is nearer or further than China, covid probably reached both countries roughly the same time. 

Another thing is that most Brits are culturally averse to wearing masks (most still aren't wearing them even during lockdown and just want to 'tough it out') but Thais were ALL wearing them in early Feb or sooner and really taking it seriously. I read this report that earlier action can reduce cases and, while I don't know whether the Thai figures are made up or not, it could be relevant. 

https://www.ibtimes.sg/95-covid-19-cases-china-could-have-been-stopped-by-these-interventions-says-study-41289

31 minutes ago, Kks88 said:

Mate thais openly eat from the same bowl, drink from the same cups none of this has stopped especially rurally. Public transport is filthy. Bangkok is as overpopulated as New York. Markets still overflowing. Social distancing is not happening outside of bkk. There is no way covid has somehow mostly skipped Thailand especially when the government openly welcomed Chinese tourists when it was all kicking off.

The numbers are clearly underreported. It is not a conspiracy it is common sense

All of those factors you mention suggest that Thailand should have overflowing hospitals, and bodies lined up in the streets - a bit like we saw in Italy. Do we see that? 

If the virus is a major problem in Thailand, we should all know somebody in Thailand who has ended up in ICU or died of Covid 19. Do we? I don't. 

A cover up on this magnitude is not possible. Yes the authorities here are known to be economical with the truth. But it's plain to see, considering all the reasons why the country should have a major problem, that Thailand has resilience to Covid 19. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sucit said:

There is even a video up somewhere of a nurse in New York being stopped on the street and saying the hospitals were empty and it was overblown. 

You need your head checked if you believe this

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

There seems to be some evidence that contrary to what is assumed, smokers actually have better survival rates from Covid-19 than non-smokers. Chinese are heavy smokers and yet the death rates from Covid-19 are relatively low.  Possibly something in Thai cigarettes that makes them safer??

Yes, I believe it's called bllsht.

• Haha 2

dont get too smug as rolling waves of reinfected are expected to arrive in the coming months..if youve had it once the antibodies wont stop you getting it again.just like the common cold it comes back again and again.. all are at risk till a vaccine arrives

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the virus is a major problem in Thailand, we should all know somebody in Thailand who has ended up in ICU or died of Covid 19. Do we? I don't. 

A cover up on this magnitude is not possible. Yes the authorities here are known to be economical with the truth. But it's plain to see, considering all the reasons why the country should have a major problem, that Thailand has resilience to Covid 19. 

My father in law died last week with all the symptoms. They refused to test him and his diagnosis was pneumonia from “dust”, so bacterial pneumonia for which they hooked him up to antibiotics intravenously for 7 days with zero effect on the pneumonia.

He was actually refused hospital care until the police got involved, so there will be many dieing at home unfortunately

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Plain common sense and long experience of the Thai way of doing things should tell us that the figures are wrong somewhere. However, 'tis amazing what a light dusting of Thainess can achieve.

it was the same when AIDs reared its head back in the 80s .thais had some kinda mysterious immunity they said .then wammo it arrived big time..

Posts containing links to disallowed sites or unapproved YouTube sources have been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

2 hours ago, Timwin said:

US southern states are also not having major epidemics like New York or New Jersey except Louisiana (they had Mardi Gras with a lot of "close contacts"). Florida is already opening some of the beaches. This virus, like all the other coronaviruses, is very temperature sensitive.

Singapore has now an epidemic in crowded dormitories, full of foreign work permit holders, crammed into small rooms. 

Two contradictory points. Why are the recent cases in hot and humid Singapore so high?

• Like 1

https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=tw

I'm just going to leave this here

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

The Local medic certifies death as required on the basis of what are often lamentably poor clinical qualifications; poor Somchai will be cremated and sit in a pot on the mantelpiece;

It's not even a medic, it's the pooyai.

http://www.this.or.th/files/6.pdf

Other reason of low quality COD is that 60-70% of the deaths occurred outside hospitals.
COD information in death certificate is provided by relative of deceased to village registrar
who has no health or medical background. As the result, large number of COD information
in civil registration system is ill-defined and questionable.

"So, Khun Poo Yai, what did Somchai die of"

"The usual"

"Ok, heart stopped it is. What time is the BBQ party?"

Why does everyone assume that once you have been infected you have immunity? It doesn't work with the common cold (another coronavirus) and covid hasn't been around long enough to be able to say you can only be infected once.

Look at Japan. One of the richest countries in the world with one of the best health care services supposed to have it all under control weeks ago today BBC news says their health service is about to collapse using the same targeted testing procedures. Note it

Message...quite yet, it's way to early to be throwing roses at yourselves with people going back to work in Chiangmai and Qs for food down the street.

Edited by bipper