Pattaya: Huge crowds queue for 200 baht handouts at fresh food market

rooster59

I know Thailand has a lot of manufacturing jobs and other stuff ????, but I'm curious to hear from people on this forum who claim that tourist dollars are not that important to Thai economy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

not to worry, the government thinks by opening everything on 1st May all this will go away 555, they are about to get a huge awakening, none of this goes away until tourists come back which is at least 12 months away

Exactly......If you open your business 24/7 and have no customers its like not opening your business at all..

• Like 2

So the lockdown idea worked well then? You just end up killing your own people. Good move.  Actually, it was a stupid unworkable idea from the start.   Pattaya is not London, or New York, nor even Bangkok.  

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

So the lockdown idea worked well then? You just end up killing your own people. Good move.  Actually, it was a stupid unworkable idea from the start.   Pattaya is not London, or New York, nor even Bangkok.  

Without tourist Pattaya is a lost cause....I would guess Pattaya depends on tourism about 80-85%...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Exactly......If you open your business 24/7 and have no customers its like not opening your business at all..

Worse - if open you have more bills to pay: electric for example. If no customers to cover those costs, you're losing even more than by staying closed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Seeing the numbers of people queuing up for 200 Baht gives you an indication of the financial impact this has had on the town. Big thumbs up for the owner of Rumpho market for his generosity, though I doubt even he can afford to keep doing this more than once.

I really believe the government should be mobilising the army to set up field kitchens to keep people fed, especially if they are unable to dish out the monthly 5,000 to the huge numbers in need.

They'll make the people beg them and wait for the social media outcry before offering any help just to let them know whose boss.Then we'll get the media images of how generous the army is with many photo ops for those generous generals.Similar to what's happening in this story.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2