Do rental prices ever go down?

creative1000

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

I was told 20,000.

no wonder its been empty for 16 months.

Yes, this is exactly whats blowing my mind. It doesn't make sense. In a typical economy prices go up AND down, but apparently not here. 

From a banking point of view, I'm not sure I get it either. Don't landlords owe monthly mortgage on the place? An empty place would bankrupt some people or seriously eat into their income. Or did they purchase it outright, so they can sit on it for 20 years and flip it for a profit?

I was reading Thai households have a very high debt-ratio, much higher than other nations. That was before the covid-19 mess. At some point that has to impact their real estate behavior?

• Like 1

@EricTh

Heres my last 4 years:

In 2016+2017 rented a 1-br 45sq/m new condo behind cmu for 9,500 baht (no pool, no utils, no in-room washing machine, + gym). 

In 2018+2019+2020 rented a large studio 42 sq/m new condo in the forest near int'll convention center for 11,500 (inc pool, washing machine, and a laughable "gym", no utils).

These were somewhat good economic years and easy visa years too, many places full, sold out... Tons of travelers, nomads, expats, often great condo deals were snatched up within hours of being advertised on FB post.

Fast forward to today, 2019+2020 have been slow economic years, and now covid-19 problems.  I wonder if we'll see price drops like in Pattaya like @OnTheGround has mentioned. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Jomtien prices have collapsed even befor this virus thing...Studios that easily got 10k a month 7 years ago can be had for as little as 5/6 k... there's a fully furnished seaview 48sqm studio with washing machine, nice furniture, good pool and gym...6k a month...prices are the same..37sqm studios that were 1.3 mil are now as little as 700k.

For that price (the 48 sq/m one) I would consider renting it just as a holiday flat to get out of Bangkok once a month.

Could give the keys to friends here when I'm not using it. 

Are there any decent online sites showing Pattaya properties?  A two bed place would be good, then I could go down with a mate for the weekends.

A better question is: Do rental prices ever go up?

I am seeing the same if not lower rents in CM that I saw 5 to 7 years ago.

Go 20 minutes outside the city rent a fully furnished newish house with a yard and covered garage for less then 10,000 b.

• Like 1

You are correct, Thai landlords would rather let their places go empty.  HOWEVER, in Thailand, unlike Western Countries, you may 've able to bargain with your new landlord a bit if you sign a longer lease. Prices in NyC, went down slightly only in certain areas after 9/11, but went RIGHT BACK UP Within two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Jomtien prices have collapsed even befor this virus thing...Studios that easily got 10k a month 7 years ago can be had for as little as 5/6 k... there's a fully furnished seaview 48sqm studio with washing machine, nice furniture, good pool and gym...6k a month...prices are the same..37sqm studios that were 1.3 mil are now as little as 700k.

ANY DETAILS?

looking for a long term 1 bed or studio in Jomtien with sea view.

near baht bus, near convenience store.

contact me on: thaisabai

There is vacant land in front of our Resort and behind it.  The Owners have been asking for 15 million baht per rai for the last 15 years.  I asked my Wife why they have not reduced the price.  "We are waiting until the price rises and then someone will buy it" was the answer.  Thai logic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

"We are waiting until the price rises and then someone will buy it" was the answer.  Thai logic.

otherwise known as "patience" - - and if they don't really need the money, then it doesn't matter... whenever the end is - it will pay off handsomely for their family... the plan is long term. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1