'Absolute legend' British veteran raises $25 million by walking for the health service

rooster59

It's a shame that someone has to do this. 

But it happens if you follow BoJo in supporting NHS by millions or trillions...! 

The British Health system is rotten and can't compete with other Continental systems as in Merkel's country. 

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

It's a shame that someone has to do this. 

But it happens if you follow BoJo in supporting NHS by millions or trillions...! 

The British Health system is rotten and can't compete with other Continental systems as in Merkel's country. 

The NHS has deliberately been Wound down by Stealth since 1980, In 1947 when first set up it had 400,000 beds , Today 127.000.  The British government has halved the NHS budget since 1980, Thats why as you say the British NHS Cannot compete, which i disagree with. If the NHS is so bad why do European health tourists come to Britain, 

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

The NHS has deliberately been Wound down by Stealth since 1980, In 1947 when first set up it had 400,000 beds , Today 127.000.  The British government has halved the NHS budget since 1980, Thats why as you say the British NHS Cannot compete, which i disagree with. If the NHS is so bad why do European health tourists come to Britain, 

Don't forgot, way back when, a simple operation meant a week in hospital, now, in and out the same day.....I have the T-shirt.....????

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

£20 million won't even pay for the upgrade of the CEO's office at 4 hospitals, which is probably where it will end up.  Of course the suckers that paid out will never know what happened to it.   

The money does not go to the NHS - it goes towards a variety of charities that support NHS workers and patients . 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think that Captain Tom has done a great job in rallying the country behind the NHS.  He has said himself that he never expected for a moment that this would escalate like it has.  Tom's money raising exercise has become the Band Aid of the 21st century (so far).  He has become the poster boy as Bob Geldof was back in the day and like then, the real heroes are those sending in the money.  Which has come from over 50 countries!

I really am not trying to take anything away from Tom, he is a true hero.  There are several campaigns trying to get him a knighthood over this but I do think that would be unfair on all the people who are constantly out there raising money.  Definitely worthy of a gong but not a knighthood.

• Like 1

25 million?  I thought the economy was flatlining and everyone was waiting for their stimulus checks and unemployment payments. 

Where did all this money come from? the 1% ers?  Hahahaha

Edited by Skallywag

46 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

The money does not go to the NHS - it goes towards a variety of charities that support NHS workers and patients . 

Really? How and in what way will this happen and more importantly, because of the billions of taxpayers money that goes into all areas of the organisation, why? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

Don't worry, there will not many tourists coming in future. 

But those who made the mistake and went to UK for medical treatment got a good health insurance or entered the wrong plane by accident. ????

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

But those who made the mistake and went to UK for medical treatment got a good health insurance or entered the wrong plane by accident. ????

See your Anti British, maybe we are and where doing some thing right to make your bitterness the focal point of you life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Your posts make less sense as they go on....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

If you can’t raise your glass and thank a 99 year old war veteran for doing a good deed, you really need to have a good look at yourself in the mirror. Congrats on the great walk, Captain Tom. 

Constructive criticism on a board of this nature is no indication to the contrary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

See your Anti British, maybe we are and where doing some thing right to make your bitterness the focal point of you life. 

Bitterness? Jeez NO. You make yourself laughingstock of the world. All time prepared for a good joke. ????

14 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Dont forget, way back then, there where less people,

Lets not talk about immigrants eh.................????

About fifty years back my mum had a knee operation, she was in hozzy for a week, about fourty years on, I had the same operation, went in at 7am, was out at 2pm the same day......

Times have changed, nurses now don't get tuppence an hour ya no....????

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I was going to say, you should get out more, but alas you will have to stew....????

• Haha 1