Price and location for covid tests.

Yinn

Which is the better outcome? 

A)  You are positive, but only have mild symptoms so go home and self-quarantine for two weeks. 

B) Its negative so you want to be tested again next month and next month and next month. 

Who is going to pay for tests? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure the hospitals are taking lots of precautions but I would still guess that a hospital is the most likely place to catch it 

If you're not a key worker and are not developing stronger symptoms I wouldn't go near a hospital.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Here are the costs if you do get a coronavirus test at a hospital:

What exactly are they test for?

Current tests =  "The test cannot rule out diseases caused by other bacterial or viral pathogens."

So it is not a CV19 test, is this a new test that is indeed accurate or just a test that will be positive for lots of different bacteria and virus?

We had 50 people tested in order to get a project under way with an oil major here, this was done by a travelling team who came to the site, cost was 6,000 per person, results took around 48 hours.

This is what the results look like.

CNOV Result.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Problem with having a test is if you are positive they will whisk you away to some private hospital and have a blank cheque to charge you after. Better to only go near a hospital if seriously sick

Your statement is false.

"All coronavirus patients will be treated for free at all hospitals in Thailand, with the costs paid by three healthcare funds, effective retroactively from March 5."

It includes foreigners.

Well advertised information search it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

How much is your peace of mind , health and possible life worth?

Antibody test maybe worth it if not ridiculously expensive, but if someone has symptoms, loss of smell\taste etc might as well assume you've had it. Problem is people think they've had it when they had a bout of diarrhea, etc

Edited by scubascuba3

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Your statement is false.

"All coronavirus patients will be treated for free at all hospitals in Thailand, with the costs paid by three healthcare funds, effective retroactively from March 5."

It includes foreigners.

That was subsequently changed, there was an article either here or on facebook, only covers foreigners with work permits, so it's best to stay away from hospitals if possible, certainly doesn't cover retirees sadly.

It was a bangkok Post article hence why it wasn't posted here

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

The 2000B test in the above post is an antibody test. Suddenly does not look so cheap.

Excellent, this hospital is just down the road from where I live, I think I might pop down and get one done next week.

2000 Baht is pocket change and well worth it for peace of mind.

I wonder what they do if they find that you do indeed have the antibodies present - do they do nothing or insist on more invasive tests to make sure you're no longer infectious?

Edited by ukrules

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Your statement is false.

It includes foreigners.

Could you put a link up to confirm this statement as most people i have spoken to since the stay home rules have been announced, believe that all foreigners had to pay for any tests/treatment re

convid-19.... due to past experience (20 years) many people do not have 100% trust in some hospitals here .    

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange that, i thought countries were still trying to develop an effective antibody test

There are effective antibody tests when they're done with the right lab equipment, countries are having problems scaling that up to do millions of tests.

I wonder what type of antibody test this is and how reliable it is

31 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Excellent, this hospital is just down the road from where I live, I think I might pop down and get one done next week.

2000 Baht is pocket change and well worth it for peace of mind.

I wonder what they do if they find that you do indeed have the antibodies present - do they do nothing or insist on more invasive tests to make sure you're no longer infectious?

Have you had Corona symptoms?  In Germany they did a 1000 person trial test and only 15% had Corona so not widespread herd immunity going on

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Have you had Corona symptoms?  In Germany they did a 1000 person trial test and only 15% had Corona so not widespread herd immunity going on

I had a slight cold followed by a mild bronchial infection that lasted for about 3 weeks back at the start of February.

It's worth noting that a tourist from Wuhan was treated in hospital for COVID just down the road from where I live at the end of January, a week or two before I had my cold.

I am 'connected' with a restaurant which got a lot of Chinese tourists as customers and someone who lives in my house worked there. We all had colds at home around the same time....

They reckon many people who've had this have hardly any symptoms and also lots don't have a fever - I had no fever.

I'm going to do the antibody test but not just yet, I don't want to be one of the first just in case they over react, this is historical and not current, but there's a lot of hysteria going around so I will bide my time and do it when it suits me.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Your statement is false.

It includes foreigners.

That is pure misleading information, where you have been ripping out a part of information from the well advertised information and given it a new meaning. Exactly the thing they have been telling to not do on this forum. I am mighty surprised that you post are still here after 11 hours.

This is the truth:

All Thais are covered by one of the three health funds. Employees in the private sector, Thai and foreign, who make contributions to the Social Security Fund are covered by it. Civil servants are covered by the welfare programme for government officials. The rest are covered by the universal healthcare scheme managed by the NHSO.

As you clearly can see, with the real information you must, as a foreigner, be actively working and holding a work permit or still be included in the social security fund. In other words, not more than about 20-30 % of foreigners living in Thailand will be covered by that.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...