What car do you drive in Thailand?

Ranger Wildtrak which I bought new in 2017. Very happy with it. 3.2 diesel. 

I'm leaving it completely original, apart from some all terrain tyres and a Led bar spotlight. 

I'm living in the South East. Thasala.. As far as I know I'm the only foreigner living here.. Around a 30 minute drive from Nahkon Si Thammarat.. 

20170513_162135.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, moogradod said:

Fair enough. OK, this thread is actually about the car we drive (now) and not about the one we would like to drive. So here is our car: Camry Hybrid. A very comfortable limousine, smooth driving, fully equipped. Would not exchange it for any 200 series Benz.

CAMRY HYBRID.jpg

Has Mafia style windows.....????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Has Mafia style windows.....????

My real name is Corleone. ???? But only 40% tint. Many use darker foil. Works well while driving at night and as well using the dash cams back and front. Was it not you who recommended Rocket Sound to me ? We had the installation there. Good shop. The foil helps as well disguising to avoid getting hit by a sling shot attack.

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

My real name is Corleone. ???? But only 40% tint. Many use darker foil. Works well while driving at night and as well using the dash cams back and front. Was it not you who recommended Rocket Sound to me ? We had the installation there. Good shop. The foil helps as well disguising to avoid getting hit by a sling shot attack.

No, not me....????

• 3 weeks later...

At present we have a Vigo Hilux 3litre 4 door and a Mazda 2 S.

First week of June we will collect a new Toyota Majesty.

Really wanted a Ducati V4 Street Fighter but caved into the missus. 

That 3.2L Everest has been a really reliable and exceptionally pleasant vehicle to drive. It was one of the very first (2015). Then there is my wife's 1996 Mazda Lantis which she bought new. In the foreground is the 'money pit' ... Actually that is a brand new car cover, first time on, so I don't have any worries about the paintwork getting marked. Next time on I will cover with a sheet first. In the background is the local transport!

New_cars.jpg

Edited by PFMills

On 4/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Russell17au said:

I put the reduced battery life down to the climate here and that people do not check the fluid level in there battery until it is time for a full vehicle service and by then the battery has lost most of the fluid be evaporation and if the fluid level is not checked and allowed to drop too low then that will shorten the life of the battery. I check my battery every week and keep it topped up and my batteries normally last for 4 years.

Yes, I think you are correct. Four years is about what you would expect to get if you are careful with it (obviously if you buy a cheapo battery you won't get that life). The original battery on our Everest I changed after four years, it wasn't 'shot' but I didn't want it 'letting go' whilst away somewhere. I replaced it with the same ...I like maintenance free. Also I use my CTEK frequently and of course when I get home raise the bonnet to prevent excessive heat build up ... but lets not go there  

Edited by PFMills

On 4/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, josephbloggs said:

How are you liking it?  Do you use it in full electric mode at all?  I test drove one a couple of months ago.  In the end I ended up going for the XC40 T5 but was very very close to going V60 T8 - I think it is a fantastic car.  No wireless charger in the V60 though and that was the deal breaker for me (not really).

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 12.15.35 PM.png

We live 15km Outside the nearest town so 95% of the cars use is in full electric mode it will go to the shops and back 30km and return with 10% battery charge so its very cheap to run. But you can have a bit of fun and leave pretty much anything behind at the lights with 4.5 seconds to 100km h,  its like getting fired out of a sling with the electric motors instant torque. Nice car the XC40 love the colour BTW.

Edited by br12stol
sp
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 9:13 AM, BKKBike09 said:

Sweet. I was seriously thinking about one of these. Went to the showroom and was very impressed by build quality and spec for the price. Malaysian-made hence as you say price 'reasonable' in Thailand terms for a Euro vehicle. THB2.2 million starting point. The 400 bhp is slightly misleading because it's something like 250 from the petrol pot and 150 from the electric motor. Claiming 60 km/l fuel economy although with pump prices as low as they are now ...

Decided to hold off though because I am most interested in the XC40 Recharge, the full EV model, which is also apparently going to be made in Malaysia for sale here.

Current car: VW Scirocco. Getting on now but I love it. 2.0 turbo with DSG box. The best auto box I've ever driven.

The engine is same as T6 Volvo makes 320 bhp and the Electric Motor 87 bhp. but it's the torque that makes it so useable day to day the engine has supercharger at low rpm and the electric motor produces 250 N.m from zero rpm with engine 400N.m from 2200 rpm combined 600N.m at 2200 up, just effortless power.

On 4/20/2020 at 12:24 PM, MadMuhammad said:

Nissan A31 Cefiro with a 2JZ, GTX3076R Gen 2 turbo, manifold, FMIC, external wastegate, ECU, injectors, coils, fuel system and coil overs. In the shop now getting body kit and paint. 
Good cheap fun and around 450hp in this guise. I’ll build another JZ for 750+hp when I strip it and cage it for track use only 

A2E10D76-A3C0-4109-B4B2-C87245E4E1E5.jpeg

1C88F75A-10F6-4A5D-B1C7-4A38BFD02B44.jpeg

048A8590-B1E1-4014-ACF6-0C31AC81812A.jpeg

Very nice indeed!  Here are some pics of my old baby from back in the day when I had plenty of disposable income (pre-kids).  Running around 500bhp.  Bored to 2.3l, IHI RX6 turbo running 2.0 bar, forged internals, FMIC, JUN suspension, and so much other stuff I can't even remember now - fuel system (pumps and injectors), headers and exhaust, ECU, launch control, intakes and filters, Cusco dual plate clutch, Cusco LSD....

Memories.  Damn I miss that car.  I think it was about 12 years ago I finally had to get rid of it.

240912-Back.jpg

240913-Engine.jpg

240914-Front.jpg

240915-Int Dark.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Very nice indeed!  Here are some pics of my old baby from back in the day when I had plenty of disposable income (pre-kids).  Running around 500bhp.  Bored to 2.3l, IHI RX6 turbo running 2.0 bar, forged internals, FMIC, JUN suspension, and so much other stuff I can't even remember now - fuel system (pumps and injectors), headers and exhaust, ECU, launch control, intakes and filters, Cusco dual plate clutch, Cusco LSD....

Memories.  Damn I miss that car.  I think it was about 12 years ago I finally had to get rid of it.

240912-Back.jpg

240913-Engine.jpg

240914-Front.jpg

240915-Int Dark.jpg

Gorgeous car, could sell a ton nowadays, especially with that sweet dual plate & cusco

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Gorgeous car, could sell a ton nowadays, especially with that sweet dual plate & cusco

Actually damn ugly car (from the front) - I never liked the whole bug eye thing.  But in every other respect it was gorgeous.  And the noise it made was just absolutely incredible.  The unequal length header Subaru boxer burble amplified up to 10 with the external wastegate chattering on lift off.......such an amazing sound. 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 11:16 AM, PFMills said:

Also I use my CTEK frequently and of course when I get home raise the bonnet to prevent excessive heat build up ... but lets not go there  

I use my car infrequently, wife has her own car, whenever I use it open the bonnet when I get home and connect a trickle charger, battery 7 years old now and no issues, the main reason I started to lift the bonnet was some years back field rats made their home under the bonnet and ate 11,000 baht's worth of wiring, hoses and insulation!

Edited by CGW

45 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Actually damn ugly car (from the front) - I never liked the whole bug eye thing.  But in every other respect it was gorgeous.  And the noise it made was just absolutely incredible.  The unequal length header Subaru boxer burble amplified up to 10 with the external wastegate chattering on lift off.......such an amazing sound. 

Yep some of our Celica guys love unequal header and say it has a Subaru vibe.

I did my Celica dual wastegates and sidexit straight pipe, she sounds great but still running stock power, can't compare to proper forged bottom ecu mapped car. A lot budget and love needed to properly finish a project. 

15 hours ago, CGW said:

I use my car infrequently, wife has her own car, whenever I use it open the bonnet when I get home and connect a trickle charger, battery 7 years old now and no issues, the main reason I started to lift the bonnet was some years back field rats made their home under the bonnet and ate 11,000 baht's worth of wiring, hoses and insulation!

Well, they say this is Amazing Thailand and you have just gone a long way to confirming.

12 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

oh man, what a beast. I've driven a couple of pumped up STI's in the past, great cars. 

That is a serious bit of kit mate. Bloody kids lol. Thanks for the share!

Couple of progress pics of mine.... it'll be getting a decent set of 18's with the rest of the upgrades

12050121473664.jpg

12050121457881.jpg

Looks mint!  Nice paint job - I would love to hear what it sounds like.  Wheels looks good as they are.

I had always planned a nice set of 18s for my Scoob but never got round to it as I couldn't find anyone to supply them here; I wanted 18" Prodrive PFF7s in gunmetal grey.