What car do you drive in Thailand?

2 hours ago, rumak said:

and no power steering.

Can you imagine Thais driving a car without power steering. They cut corners and intersections now.

I have forgotten what it is like to drive without power steering but still remember my first car that had it. Went to do a 90 degree turn and did a 180.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

Can you imagine Thais driving a car without power steering. They cut corners and intersections now.

I have forgotten what it is like to drive without power steering but still remember my first car that had it. Went to do a 90 degree turn and did a 180.

Had an old Hilux without PS, OK at speed. Going slowly, it was like a upper body workout at the Gym.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My best and worst financial decisions in Thailand. Toyota Vios J, doesn't even have ABS. Mercedes 300 CE, luxury car. Guess which car took me over most of Thailand without missing a beat, and which one kept the tow truck industry gainfully employed?

IMG20170221151827.jpg

IMG20170404083444.jpg

Toyota +, Merc -............

3 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I moved to Thailand in my very early twenties. So I didn't get a chance to own a car back in my country. And then it took a few years to set up my life here. So here I am with my first car... .

Congratulations & commiserations on the colour...... hard to see at night and velly HOT ????

I couldn't help notice you purchased it from what looks like a dealership, if so did it come with books and how many kilometres on it, plus any registration out of curiosity ?

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Had an old Hilux without PS, OK at speed. Going slowly, it was like a upper body workout at the Gym.

I used to drive the old short base Land Rovers around the bush so I know what you mean. Put them on the highway and they were not much better as the steering could not hold a straight line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

I used to drive the old short base Land Rovers around the bush so I know what you mean. Put them on the highway and they were not much better as the steering could not hold a straight line.

From memory, the Austin Champs - the ones with the Rolls Royce B engines - didn't have power steering either. I sometimes wondered where the owners in Oz would find a mechanic who could service them.

24 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Not owned a car in over 30 years. If I need one I hire one (usually with a driver), living in Hat Yai there's no shortage of transport.

Has your hair turned white after some of the drivers you hired?

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Has your hair turned white after some of the drivers you hired?

Few fortunately, anyone I don't like, or who won't follow instructions gets replaced.  

we bought a Nissan Calibre Sportech new 2 years ago, extremely happy with it, comfortable on long trips, great economy, great to drive & looks good too, the pic is spot on with the price we paid as well

calibre sportech.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

we bought a Nissan Calibre Sportech new 2 years ago, extremely happy with it, comfortable on long trips, great economy, great to drive & looks good too, the pic is spot on with the price we paid as well

calibre sportech.jpg

Auto trans....?

I am not really a big car guy.  Over the last 50 years I've had plenty but more for convenience than love.  I did have a soft spot for a couple of Monaros which had been hotted up as we used to say.  The fuel consumption hit the wallet hard for both! I have always been passionate about motorbikes....still am.  But when I went back to Australia last year when my son had a crash racing his Honda at Broadford and was hospitalised I got to drive his Colorado....which I thought was fantastic!  Certainly far more advanced than my Thai Mitsubishi Strada pick-up.  I said to the wife on return I would be happy to put down 250.000 baht on a top of the range model and pay it off from orchard income....which didn't, and won't happen now that Chevy is no more.  Then when the announcement came and the discount prices announced I knew full well I was never dumb enough to fall for that lousy deal.  Five years parts backup and a price on Colorado that was not fair at all.  No, when the time comes it will be another Mitsubishi.  The new ones look pretty good and performance is enough for me.

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

How do you like this Truck? At over 5yrs old how is it running? I see a few of these on market at a pretty good price.

Never had one problem in 5 years, only change the oil once a year.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

Imy fleet1.jpg

tuk almera1.jpg

2 hours ago, 2long said:

image.png.0ba7e8e0d060f2b1d009dda3d8e36ebd.pngimage.png.d004b8f386ebb1d9a8b480e2ae1c00ff.png 

I'm curious, what is the reason for obscuring the registration numbers in these photos?  Presumably they are not hidden at any other time?  I never could understand this.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Safety feature.

Its to stop you falling asleep at the wheel.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Word said:

I'm curious, what is the reason for obscuring the registration numbers in these photos?  Presumably they are not hidden at any other time?  I never could understand this.

Privacy, not everyone likes the world to know where they live etc.

• Like 2