What car do you drive in Thailand?

7 minutes ago, The Word said:

...but it has got 7-speed "sequential",

Many years ago I hungered for a Cagiva Mito 125 because it was 7 speed. Then when riding my "only" 6 speed Honda NSR150R in Indonesia I caught up with a cross country bus. In large letters emblazoned on the back it said "Mercedes 9 Speed". After that 7 never seemed to be so important. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Congratulations & commiserations on the colour...... hard to see at night and velly HOT ????

I couldn't help notice you purchased it from what looks like a dealership, if so did it come with books and how many kilometres on it, plus any registration out of curiosity ?

I would prefer white/silver. But when you buying second hand, you have to make compromises. I made compromise on color, over making one on transmission or KM driven.

I found this car on one2car.com, it was being sold by "tent shop". One of these second hand places. I heard a lot of bad stuff about it, but my experience with them was overwhelmingly positive.

I was looking in a book. It had 1 previous thai owner. He had it for 5 years,drove 110 000 Km and basically as soon as he made all his payments he sold it to this tent shop. 

They were advertising it for 480 000. I pushed them to 440 000. Then day later made a call offering them 430 000 in cash the same day. This price seemd out of their comfort zone, hahaha, but 30 minutes later they called&said yes and 2 days later it was mine & I had it at my home.

I got free 5 tires, free new battery, free new chrome stuff and all fluids & complete first service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:
11 minutes ago, The Word said:

I'm curious, what is the reason for obscuring the registration numbers in these photos?  Presumably they are not hidden at any other time?  I never could understand this.

Privacy, not everyone likes the world to know where they live etc.

That's what I don't understand, why would they think that anyone on Thaivisa would want to know their address but, more importantly, how would those people be able to find out where they live when no one, except the authorities, has access to the LTD records, do they?    So do they do the same for the 99.99% of the time when the vehicles are being used on the road? 

As I said, just curious, not trying to make a big deal out of it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Bi-turbo ?

No. The truck honestly is really already way too fast and is 4 x 2. Don't need a 4 x 4 and the 4 x 2 can do almost all the 4 x 4 can do for the most part. Quite amazing how technology has advanced. I put 20" custom rims and tires on it so it is a really good looking machine. My Civic RS is Turbo and fast. When you press on it to gallop it sounds like a race car and tops 100km - 150km in a blink of an eye. 

Double Cab Wildtrak 2.0L Hi Rider 6MT

Price: THB 979000

Standard Features Including:

• 230V Invertor
  • Adjustable Driver's Seat Power 8 Ways
  • Airbags 6 Airbags: Front Airbags / Front Side Airbags/ and Side Curtain Airbags
  • Keyless Entry With Push Start Button
  • Rear Differential Locking Rear Differential

My green Adventador  parked at Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai. MAYA Lifestyle Shopping Mall has free parking out front  for "Supercars" also. "Pretties" leave their contact details under the windscreen wiper.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Word said:

I'm curious, what is the reason for obscuring the registration numbers in these photos?  Presumably they are not hidden at any other time?  I never could understand this.

don't want people knowing who i am when i'm out and about, the paparazzi are a pain

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Word said:

They are stolen and in the process of re-entry to the market.........????

• Like 1

We bought an Innova, ran it for three years, it must have boosted PTT's profits no end considering the amount of fuel it guzzled. So I sold it to a diplomat in the Israeli Embassy who sold his older one to my friend's brother-in-law as I found out later (it's a small world). We used the money to buy two cars, an older Vios and a Suzuki Carry petrol/LPG drop-side truck. 

It costs 400 baht for a full tank of LPG and in the nearly 2 years I've had it I've also put probably 20 litres of petrol into it for probably 15 LPG refills so considering we tend to use it for rubbish dumping/material buying and carrying as well as a runabout and it has cost us two fan-belts, a radiator cap and a battery I really pleased with it.

The Vios on the other hand is a lovely little car, very sporty performance, very economical, but has had new hoses, radiator, electric fan, front shock absorber, both CV joints and other bits. So I'm not so impressed with that although it is a second hand car of course but then so is the lorry!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Possibly surprised a few, because all the Vehicles ive had say X Miles or so many Months. Whats Your Book Say.?. 

Probably says every 6 months or XXXXmileage, but if they tell me the oil doesn't need changing after only doing 5000 Klms, then that's what I do. The book got stamped every time, but it's now out of warranty anyway after 5 years, so it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

No. The truck honestly is really already way too fast and is 4 x 2. Don't need a 4 x 4 and the 4 x 2 can do almost all the 4 x 4 can do for the most part. Quite amazing how technology has advanced. I put 20" custom rims and tires on it so it is a really good looking machine. My Civic RS is Turbo and fast. When you press on it to gallop it sounds like a race car and tops 100km - 150km in a blink of an eye. 

Double Cab Wildtrak 2.0L Hi Rider 6MT

Price: THB 979000

Standard Features Including:

• 230V Invertor
  • Adjustable Driver's Seat Power 8 Ways
  • Airbags 6 Airbags: Front Airbags / Front Side Airbags/ and Side Curtain Airbags
  • Keyless Entry With Push Start Button
  • Rear Differential Locking Rear Differential

Had an old Mitsubishi G-Wagon that was switchable from 2WD to 4WD with a lever.

2WD was far better fuel economy, but the back-end definitely slid around a lot less in 4WD mode when the roads were very wet in rainy season.

Current car in Thailand is our old BMW x3 2.0d from 2008. (Yes that is the one with the interference engine that is the engine you don't want...). Nice car to drive though and we've had it since new, but it's getting to the age where it's starting to need more repairs than we like.

We've had a few other cars in Thailand over the years - Mercedes C180, Honda CRV, the aforementioned Mitsubishi G-Wagon, BMW 320i, Toyota Fortuner. Of them all, the x3 is definitely the fastest and nicest to drive, although the kids preferred the Fortuner for the amount of space inside with the third row seats. We generally had two cars while we were ferrying the kids to school there every day, but only have one there now, which is probably one too many given we're currently living in the UK.

What I really want in Thailand is a Tesla, probably a model Y. If only because I can put solar panels on the roof of the house and essentially drive around Bangkok for free, and with electric motors not needing the same maintenance as internal combustion engines because there are so many fewer moving parts, it could last my retirement (in a few years). Just hoping that it qualifies (like the MG ZS) for zero import duty in a couple of years if it's made in the Tesla factory in China.

Edited by bkk_mike
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, The Word said:

It's to stop people "spoofing" plates. 

Got a car of the same make, model and colour? Get a set of copy plates made up and somebody else gets your speeding tickets.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Word said:

That's what I don't understand, why would they think that anyone on Thaivisa would want to know their address but, more importantly, how would those people be able to find out where they live when no one, except the authorities, has access to the LTD records, do they?    So do they do the same for the 99.99% of the time when the vehicles are being used on the road? 

As I said, just curious, not trying to make a big deal out of it.

For the very same reason you have not used your own name on this forum.

With just a Licence Plate someone will be able to identify where and to whom the car is registered or know someone who can. Which doesn’t matter if you are going to agree with every single person you respond to on various threads. However, invariably you will disagree with some people and enter into debates. Privacy is the better option, especially for those who are going to call others out for being idiots !! especially when said idiot is thin skinned but has delusions of SAS grandeur !!! - there really are plenty of nut-jobs on this forum to warrant privacy. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's to stop people "spoofing" plates. 

Got a car of the same make, model and colour? Get a set of copy plates made up and somebody else gets your speeding tickets.

False Economy, convincing false plates would cost more than the silly little fines for speeding here.