Glass turbo ovens

Kenny202

Just got one of those glass turbo ovens. I always thought they were a bit of a gimmick, used to see them every second yard sale back home. But have tried some food out of them since I been here and Pork and chicken just so good. Don't know why but the flavour is so good done in these ovens. I tried to get a better one, or what I thought was a better one. I got an infrared one but holy hell you just about need a welders helmet. it is so bright actually flash blinds you if you look directly at it. Anyone else found the same thing?

Anyone else have one? Are the infrared better than the standard element ones? What other sort of stuff do you cook in it besides roasts, grills etc. I also have a conventional oven and convection microwave.

We have one of the cheapo Otto ones which I bought some years back to do a Christmas roast pork loin and roast spuds.

I did a great job and has been doing similar recently after our charcoal supplier ran away back home leaving us with no fuel for our usual cooking system. You really cannot beat food cooked over natural charcoal which has been made from renewable wood burned in the traditional manner and delivered by a chap on a bicycle (fuel doesn't come much more carbon neutral). A charcoal fired hob makes THE best chips (french fries) ever!!

IMHO The quartz/halogen (bright light) ones are a bit of a gimmick but I suspect they give a nicer browning effect.

• Like 1

I have been using one for about four years now. In fact, I am cooking chicken quarters with it right now. You can't beat it for 900 or so Baht. It's quick, clean, and easy to use. I cook chicken, lasagna, crispy fatty port, pork loin, french fries, and fish on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

I bought one in Aldi for £20 many moons ago. When we moved here we had an Ikea kitchen fitted with a quite expensive oven but we use the smaller small one for nearly everything. Does a great job, uses less energy and doesn't need pre-heating.

8 minutes ago, champers said:

Anyone cook stews/casseroles in one? I tried a mince, onion and spuds dish (tater ash) and it was a disaster. Any good recipes?

They are great for individual items where there is plenty of circulation but not very good for anything done in a pot, a slow cooker is much better for that kind of cooking.

What I often do is cook is cook the stew or mince first and then put the potatoes, either mash or par boiled sliced across the top and then in the halogen oven to finish off.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

I must be the unlucky one here, I must have had four of them from cheap to expensive-ish, all of them have broken down, have gone back to the table top oven.

It happens, the element on mine went after a couple of years and I just replaced it. Bit fiddly but not really difficult, got the element from Lazada.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kildonan said:

Would it be possible for someone  put a photo uo of the "glass turbo oven",,, interesting to see what it looks like, and recommends for make? Into cooking.

Txs in advance. 

This is like the model I have; comes with some English instructions. Bought at HomePro in Big C.

images.jpeg

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Cooks chicken great, as well as pork. Marinated Teriyaki glazed chicken comes out awesome. In great shape for being 3 years old, works like a champ....

20200420_165531.jpg

20200420_165526.jpg

II have the same one, use it a lot, mainly for roast chicken, pork etc but my favourite is fish in foil with butter and herbs. Quick and easy.

Crispy Salmon Fillet

Salmon fillet (Makro or Paleorobbie.com)

Generous cream cheese topping

Sprinkle with breadcrumbs

20/25 mins 150 deg tasty as F. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/smarthome-mv-016-i711014452-s1363632346.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-296030489971!c!296030489971!1363632346!127245879&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiPhIRORCY5ka6r0vgRQBimvv5FzkzebBEve9-rXc6sSVbCDWvZCkDhoCR8IQAvD_BwE

My one. I paid about 100 baht more from Big C but would have had to pay delivery with Lazada anyway. Has 3 year warranty on the box and it's big C so have kept the receipt and will hold them too it if things go pear shaped.

Tried it a few times and very impressed with results. Did some chicken wings last light so good and cooked thoroughly in under an hour. The glaring halogen light is a bit much. Cooks perfect and everything but yeah, need welders glasses, look at it directly too long and get flash blinded!

I put some parchment paper at the bottom of mine. Just a wipe out enough to clean. I just noticed before too these things only use 1200 watts! Cook in half the time for half the electricity. That has to be good. Another amazing thing I found...mine has 2 racks, high and low which you can put in together and have food on two levels. I would have thought the food on the top would cook, even burn faster than the bottom but all seems to cook evenly.

One thing I would like some advice on, is how to cook a roast pork loin here. Loin is normally a dryer cut of meat but in Thailand very lean. The only way I have ever been able to get a nice tender result is do in oven first then finish slowly in about a cm of water in a dutch oven for about an hour.

I did one in the turbo oven the other day on the top rack pretty close to the halogen element.

200 degrees. Put some water in the bottom of the glass bowl too. The crackling was hard, but too hard. I rubbed salt on and dried it out well in the fridge before cooking. I would like to get the crackling like the Chinese do, bubbly crispy and easy to crunch. I know the Thais spike it all over, boil it in water and then fry it in oil to get this effect.

Other thing was pork not dry or overcooked but toughish. What do you guys do? Or is pork loin the wrong cut  to roast? Ordered a meat thermometer today also. Do I need to cook it longer? Slower? Would be really nice to get it melt in your mouth soft

Pork Belly

Salt

Vinegar

Soy sauce

Onions, carrots & potatoes- chopped into chunks (placed on the bottom rack under the pork)

Rub/scrub the pork belly with salt allover.

Rinse off the salt very well & dry the pork belly.

Boil the pork belly until a fork pierces the skin side easily; remove & dry.

With a fork, pierce the pork belly’s skin side allover.

Cut the skin side into a checkerboard pattern; just the skin & fat- don’t cut into the meat.

Rub the skin side with vinegar. Rub the meat side with soy sauce.

Let dry, 2 hrs. – overnight (preferable), in the fridge.

On the top rack, roast pork @ 175 degrees C for 25 minutes; check for doneness. Stir the vegetables.

Roast until the pork skin bubbles & starts to char.

Rest, slice & serve.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Michaelaway said:

Pork Belly

Salt

Vinegar

Soy sauce

Onions, carrots & potatoes- chopped into chunks (placed on the bottom rack under the pork)

Rub/scrub the pork belly with salt allover.

Rinse off the salt very well & dry the pork belly.

Boil the pork belly until a fork pierces the skin side easily; remove & dry.

With a fork, pierce the pork belly’s skin side allover.

Cut the skin side into a checkerboard pattern; just the skin & fat- don’t cut into the meat.

Rub the skin side with vinegar. Rub the meat side with soy sauce.

Let dry, 2 hrs. – overnight (preferable), in the fridge.

On the top rack, roast pork @ 175 degrees C for 25 minutes; check for doneness. Stir the vegetables.

Roast until the pork skin bubbles & starts to char.

Rest, slice & serve.

Appreciate your trouble, but belly a bit too fatty for me. It is definitely the tastiest most delicious cut, but always feel like should have the ambulance phone number on hand after eating it lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found a good way too cook the loin and finished product meat nice and melty and crackling perfect. I seared the pork in my dutch oven first. Smear of oil in the bottom, seared the skin first until bubbly. Then seared all side of the pork. Added water to the pot until pork 50% submerged, skin side up and out of the water. Lid on and very slow simmer for an hour. Pulled it out, dried it and did it on the top rack for a further hour, with pre cooked spuds (microwave) on the bottom rack. Really happy with the result. So hard to get pork loin here to cook softly  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, stoutfella said:

I opted for the stainless steel version as if I had bought a glass one we wouldn't have it now as the steel one has a dent in it, caused by someone who is not me.

Sounds like my missus. Clumsiest woman I have ever met. Hands seem uncoordinated with the brain.

Someone told me of Thais once...give them 2 steel balls they'll lose one and break the other one 

• 2 months later...

I ended up with 3 turbo ovens, my wife had one, mine and about 4 years ago my wife's uncle gave us one. great for air frying without oil, baking breads, pizza's it cooks long low and slow or fast air frying. We use them a lot.