New School Year: Positions And Salaries Available

On this Songkran holiday in the middle of the summer vacation, I just searched for job openings on the ajarn.com website (with TEFLAsia). Pitiful! Province after province with no listings (MaeHongSon, Prachuab Kirikhan, Phayao, etc.). Jobs in Chiang Mai (where rent is cheaper than Bangkok, but not free) for as little as 20,000 baht per month (that's not a misprint; song moong baht). Part time offers for as little as 200 baht per hour. And many of them require a BA, a TEFL certificate, and some experience teaching in Thailand!

On another topic, we're discussing how the job market for TEFL compares with last year or the year before in Thailand. Here, feel free to mention actual jobs by location, but don't name the school itself. I think forum rules permit you to give the opinion, "This job sucks." Or, "this is a great position."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soon there will be only about 1% of the required number of native speaking English teachers here. When the Thai baht crashes in the future, the filipinos will leave as well as they will not be able to send enough money back home due to the new exchange rate. The only people who will be staying here to teach are the ones with Thai family, the very few who belong to the dedicated ESL teachers catagory who for some reason want ESL teaching in Thaialnd as their career, or the other group, the whore monger group who will continue to teach to P4P, but, soon they will not be earning enough to P4P because of the new low salaries and they to will go.

I have no problems with the whore mongers leaving as the are teaching for the wrong reasons, and its usually them, that make the headlines here for the wrong reasons. I have no problems with the filipinos leaving as well, they think they are so good because they have a degree in an un-related field from an institute back home that would not even be up to the standards of most western high schools! So not only is their degree worthless in terms of ESL teaching, they are not even native English speakers! At least most of the un-degreed farangs are native speakers and can speak the English language better! Also, the farangs need, and most of them do have a TEFL cert, I've never seen a filipino with a TEFL cert, and most of them don't even know what TEFL is, they confuse TEFL with TOEFL! This brings me to this question; Why is it that a non native English speaking filipino with an un-related degree from a college and who does not have a TEFL cert can get a TL and WP, when a non-degreed native English speaking farang with a TEFL cert in most cases can not get a TL and WP? filipinos are so proud of their education, but why is it that they end up teaching ESL in Thailand in stead of finding a job back home related to what they studied, so sad. Do they know that you can buy an Education, but you can't buy intelligence? I thoguh it was the farangs that bring the money into the school, I thought it was the farangs that the Thais want to see promoting the school and teaching their students. Honestly, the system here is more than fcuked up and will end up eating shit in the future! This post is becoming messy and I better post it before I expose many other truths about the industry here. Peaceblondies' attitude has changed as well as other well respected posters in the last few weeks, and now my attitude has changed as well. The education system here is fcuked up and will continue to get more fcuked up as long and the MOE continue to make backwards changes. "We are desperate for teachers, here's an idea, lets decrease the salaries so we can attract more teachers!" you stupid idiots! The only people here who are that desperate to work for money are the whore mongers and the filipinos, are they the people you want teaching your children? If the answer is yes, well then Thailand, continue doing what you are doing! Most of us will leave the shit paying job because we have money or other options. Thailand wake up!

I'm interested to see who the first looser will be to critisize my spelling and poorly but quickly written post!

Edited by aussiestyle1983

All jobs in Thailand including teaching industry are at an all time low. Most of my friends that are/were teachers are and have called it a day. Even tomorrow a university English teacher friend that lives around the corner returns home. Others not getting contract renewals. I also see only a few familiar faces ( all industries) hanging on at some bars I frequent. :o 20-30K in Bangkok will not work for long.

Hope the conditions and reputation improve for the industry.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

From what I see on the ground, most new hires at schools are movements from schools with poorer conditions to schools with better conditions- in other words, the teachers themselves already have the work permit and other difficult paperwork. This means that for a year or so, the better schools will improve and benefit from the increased competition (by offering better wages and other working conditions). But schools at the middle level, who may have been able to take for granted getting staff qualified enough to acquire work permits, may be out of luck- and the lower level will hire whomever they can find for illegal work, as usual. I have the feeling that the big shakeout- which I've been inaccurately predicting for years now- may finally have arrived and Som Nom Na to all those schools which took us for granted.

I browsed the biggest public website of Thai TEFL, and since I'm not a Bang-cock-ian, here's what I found of jobs available for foreign teachers:

Loei, Mae Hong Son, Lamphun provinces - nada, zilch, soon. No jobs posted.

Lampang - one university gig, at the usual 27K

Chumphon - 25 to 35K (big spread) to teach 20 hours of math or of social studies

Chiang Mai - good prospects at WichaiWitaya, over 30K. Another school, says 20K to 30K, so you can bet it's 25K, or less. Another only says 'at least 25K, but like most schools, is asking for the moon: native speaker, a real BA, experienced teacher, TEFL cert.

Chiang Rai - one uni gig, probably 27K

Gentlemen and ladies, those are slim pickings. The last known teacher in one of those provinces was extremely overqualified, and was replaced by someone totally unqualified. CRai couldn't get a native speaker to interview at 34K to teach math, earlier this year (they hired a Filipino at 19K).

Most of these ads are provided free, and yet during the summer break, the Thai staff is too busy dodging water to bother to look for teachers who aren't there. And rumour has it that nobody is going to negotiate below 30K (in the case of teachers outside Bangkok), and almost no school outside Bangkok or its surrounding provinces, wants to offer 30K!

aussiestyle's very long paragraph was a rant, but not really that outrageous. Yes, my attitude has changed over the years. Were I looking for full time work, I wouldn't consider less than 30K, in Chiang Mai.

Now I have to ask my self a question, especially after reading some of the numbers above, which are facts, sad fact that are very hard to believe.................

Since im quitting in a very short time frame and going back to Oz to live untill things settle down, my plans were to get more qualified and study a degree program at an Australian Uni to make it easier for myself to get better paying jobs and to be able to get another work permit when I return.

Now I think is it worth it?

Will there be better paying jobs?

Will there be better paying jobs even in a few years after some time and changes have been made?

Will I be rewarded for putting in my time and money to get a degree just to specifically teach here?

Will they even need white native speakers here, or will we be replaced by aliens?

To many questions that need to be answered and with the un-stability here, these questions can not be answered. Only time will tell what will happen here. No one can predict anything here.

So now I am starting to re-consider my study plans. I don't need any further qualification to continue my previous career in Australia, so why should I put in the time and effort for a shit paying, un-stable career with no benifits in an un-stable country?

Im sure many of you feel the same. There are no gaurantees here and there never will be. I think the complete system is so power hungry, they will do what ever it takes to save face and make in-convienence to foriegners here, even if it means the Thai students will be affected in a bad way............... "Oh well, I doesn't matter if we don't have good, reliable, dedicated foriegn teachers here, we must save face and let every one know who is boss, even if it means the students will get a crappy education, mai pen rai.........."

I am jobless as well and being offered pennies for peanuts, everything being thrown at me(job offers) are too far from where I Live and the pay is either less then 30k or around 200 baht per hour, Im sure the thai teachers make this if they are career teachers, whatever happen to the good old glory days of 40-50 k baht per month? or how about 500-1000 baht per hour? does it exist anymore? it seems thailand doesnt want natives speakers anymore , or at least treat us like slaves or a walking dollar sigh for that matter :o

Edited by DragonQuest

Now I have to ask my self a question, especially after reading some of the numbers above, which are facts, sad fact that are very hard to believe.................

Since im quitting in a very short time frame and going back to Oz to live untill things settle down, my plans were to get more qualified and study a degree program at an Australian Uni to make it easier for myself to get better paying jobs and to be able to get another work permit when I return.

Now I think is it worth it?

Yes it is, but don't do it to try and get a better paid job in LOS as it won't work. Use it instead to get a better job back in OZ.

Will there be better paying jobs?

Back home yes, here not on your Nelly. They have upped the requirements for better teachers and lowered the compensation for them. What does that tell you?

Will there be better paying jobs even in a few years after some time and changes have been made?

I wonder if the moon will become square in a few years after NASA sets up a moon base on it...

Will I be rewarded for putting in my time and money to get a degree just to specifically teach here?

Nope. Wasted effort, time and money. Your payback will probably be 10 years unless it is a specific teaching degree you get that makes you attractive to the International schools. Stay in OZ and earn a real salary with your new credentials instead.

Will they even need white native speakers here, or will we be replaced by aliens?

They already had Aliens doing the job, they were called farangs. The Thai educated teachers of English want the jobs for themselves, this is all part of the agenda.

To many questions that need to be answered and with the un-stability here, these questions can not be answered. Only time will tell what will happen here. No one can predict anything here.

So now I am starting to re-consider my study plans. I don't need any further qualification to continue my previous career in Australia, so why should I put in the time and effort for a shit paying, un-stable career with no benifits in an un-stable country?

You don't but you should never stop learning. You just never know where it will take you or what new doors will open.

Im sure many of you feel the same. There are no gaurantees here and there never will be. I think the complete system is so power hungry, they will do what ever it takes to save face and make in-convienence to foriegners here, even if it means the Thai students will be affected in a bad way............... "Oh well, I doesn't matter if we don't have good, reliable, dedicated foriegn teachers here, we must save face and let every one know who is boss, even if it means the students will get a crappy education, mai pen rai.........."

But... why do you care about this? You are trying to judge a culture based on your own western values and it just doesn't work. Yes! the education system here is mad and I get to see it all unravel when they arrive at the Universities expecting to do an Masters degree in English only to find out that they can for the first time actually fail! Frankly though, you may as well pick a wall and bang your head against it because you won't change anything here because you are and always will be a foreigner.

Edited by Casanundra

That Thai teaching salaries are ridiculously low is nothing different than what has existed in the past.

What's different now is enforcement of existing laws and regulations and promulgation of new ones.

As a legal and qualified teacher here in Thailand, I have not been impacted one bit by all of the changes. I am certain I am not alone.

Do I expect to have my salary go up as a result of people leaving? No.

Did I come here expecting to lead a comfortable life only on my teaching salary? No.

The average Thailand teaching salary does not pay enough to do that regardless of what some may believe as a result of listening too much to people who think as they do.

Thailand is a wonderful experience for a qualified teacher if you find the right position and have significant outside income to supplement your teaching salary.

Without it, you are likely to fall into the group that constantly complains about Thais, Thailand, Thai ways ad nauseam.

Sooner or later, you may end up leaving blaming Thailand for your own mistake in ever coming here unprepared financially to be able to enjoy life here.

If you want to enjoy life here, you need money. Not so different than a lot of places in the world.

Thinking you didn't has been the mistake of more than one teacher.

Edited by mopenyang

Obviously, to a certain extent, that is going to depend on the individual and there probably is no one answer that fits all.

When you're living hand to mouth you are probably not living comfortably regardless of where you are living. I don't believe too many people would disagree with this or with the fact that they know very quickly when they are living comfortably as opposed to not being so comfortable.

IMHO, you can live comfortably in Thailand with a regular supplemental monthly income somewhere in the 75,000 - 100,000 baht range. I could spend more, but I don't. No need to, and I have all the comforts I want or need.

The point I was trying to make was that personal financial situations can very much affect our appreciation of life and people anywhere. Thailand is no exception. The problem here has been that people were able to survive on very little, but the rules have now changed and the hassle associated with living here for some coupled with non-lucrative jobs has resulted in their having to remove the rose-colored glasses.

I can understand why these people are leaving and heading where the money is better. That's not a bad plan as over a period of time it may allow some to return to Thailand financially better prepared to live here comfortably as opposed to just surviving.

Too many people these days never planned for the future and have suddenly found the future is now.

I firmly believe it is never too late, though, and I am sensing from some of the posts on this board that some people are actually trying to rectify their situation rather than only complaining.

Good luck to them for they just may be able to achieve what they previously thought was impossible.

One thing is certain. They will never know unless they try.

You will always need that large sum in the bank or supplemental income here because there are no retirement benifits or plans for foriegners. Once you leave your job here, thats it, no Thai pension or whatever, so for those who have not been able to save a very very large percent of their Thai salary for many many many years to retire off, it would be esentioal to have another source of income.

Most people with these other incomes teach here not for the money, but for other reasons. I have another income and a lot of savings back home and I look at teaching here as an interest and hobby. Teaching here is what I like, well actually love doing. I like the students and most of the co-workers. So the salary I earn here is just a bonus, just extra money to live off. The less I have to dip into my savings back home the better.

But the point is, 99% of the time, you will not be able to live and retire of your teaching income here if thats all you have, it would be impossible unless you in the 150,000 THB per month salary bracket at an international school and you manage to work there for 30 years and save a lot of your salary. If your not in that position, forget it, you will need acess to other forms of money..............

Casanundra, please have a look at your PM.

There are lots of jobs here in Udon thani if you don't mind relocating.

I know of half a dozen or so government schools at least who are looking for one or two teachers each. they are paying around 30,000 baht per month (and some even throw in an apartment on-site for free).

Furthermore, you don't need a degree for some of these schools as they pretty much write their own tl's, so they don't have to deal with the moe.

If you want to earn more there are p/t jobs at private schools paying 300b per hour also available.

If anyone is interested I have several contacts who can point you in the right direction.

I know of half a dozen or so government schools at least who are looking for one or two teachers each. they are paying around 30,000 baht per month (and some even throw in an apartment on-site for free).

Furthermore, you don't need a degree for some of these schools as they pretty much write their own tl's, so they don't have to deal with the moe.

If you want to earn more there are p/t jobs at private schools paying 300b per hour also available.

If anyone is interested I have several contacts who can point you in the right direction.

30K, peanuts........................

But it's ok for an Isarn salary.

As for schools writing their own TL's, sounds a bit dodgy to me.

thus far what has been written has been about how unfair the system is but in MHO it may just be the "cum up ins" for the years of abuse rendered by pretenders calling themselves teachers. taking, taking and taking untrained, self centered, broken contracts, drunks etc....... once again the pay is still unchanged for real teachers with real certs in education.

thus far what has been written has been about how unfair the system is but in MHO it may just be the "cum up ins" for the years of abuse rendered by pretenders calling themselves teachers. taking, taking and taking untrained, self centered, broken contracts, drunks etc....... once again the pay is still unchanged for real teachers with real certs in education.

You have brought up some interesting points, but you need to answer some questions:

In relation to the un-qualified and drunks getting jobs and acting like they can do whatever they want-

Is it wrong for someone to apply for a job no matter who or how un-quallified they are?

If they get the job and carry on like a menace, who's fault is it if they still have their job, is it their fault or the school's fauly for letting them behave the way they do?

Seems like you have taken the Thai point of view, that no matter how many laws the Thai schools break by hiring illegal teachers and all the other rules they break, it will always be the teachers fault.

I think the schools need to act more professionally in regards to who they hire, who they keep as teachers, how they treat teachers and how they accept responsibility for their actions, rather than blaming the foriegn teacher.

What I have seen in my 2 years teaching here (and the reason I can't blame some teachers for not caring) is that if you are a dedicated, hard-working teacher who is honest and reliable, you have more of a chance of getting fired or being ripped of by your school than a drunk whore mongering teacher who takes every other day of work to stay home and monger whores. You may not like this, but myself and many others feel the same way. We do our job and don't complain to our schools and get treated like shit, while the people who don't deserve to be teachers get away with what ever they want.

So rather than blaming the teachers, blame the schools for letting this type of behaviour continue.

Maccaroni Man, this thread is aimed at hard-working, caring teachers- who will be the ones primarily hurt by the problems of Thai bureaucracy (as Aussie points out). The types you describe probably never intend to worry about Thai paperwork, legality, or anything else. I don't expect to see further posts from you in this vein. Posts intended to paint the majority of teachers in Thailand in a negative light are not permitted in the teaching forum.

"Steven"

"You will always need that large sum in the bank or supplemental income here because there are no retirement benifits or plans for foriegners. Once you leave your job here, thats it, no Thai pension or whatever,..."

That's not exactly true. If you leave after two years, it is correct, no pension. If you stay in the system 15 years, there is a small pension available, even to foreigners. There is money available after 10 years, but with conditions I don't recall this late at night.

The system = Social Security.

Terry

"You will always need that large sum in the bank or supplemental income here because there are no retirement benifits or plans for foriegners. Once you leave your job here, thats it, no Thai pension or whatever,..."

That's not exactly true. If you leave after two years, it is correct, no pension. If you stay in the system 15 years, there is a small pension available, even to foreigners. There is money available after 10 years, but with conditions I don't recall this late at night.

The system = Social Security.

Terry

What is all the fuss about.

As far as I know there is no law forcing you to stay in Thailand teaching. If you don´t like the teaching conditions

you are free to leave the country. Remember you are a guest

worker in Thailand.

Most of us that haven't yet are in the process of doing just that :o

aussiestyle1983,

Here's my suggestion, pack your bags and catch the earliest flight back to Australia. Thailand surely won't miss someone who does nothing but complain about how bad the system here is when you could probably be one of the reasons why it is like this in the first place.

I just have to ask. What is holding you back from leaving? Why can't you just go back to where it is better? Or could it be that your own country doesn't want you either?

Edited by sensei

aussiestyle1983,

Here's my suggestion, pack your bags and catch the earliest flight back to Australia. Thailand surely won't miss someone who does nothing but complain about how bad the system here is when you could probably be one of the reasons why it is like this in the first place.

I just have to ask. What is holding you back from leaving? Why can't you just go back to where it is better? Or could it be that your own country doesn't want you a bum like you either?

Not that its any of your business, but I have other travel plans before heading to Oz. If I would of been able to change the dates on my tickets, I would of been out of here a long time ago. But, since you sound so concerned, it should make you sleep better tonight knowing that aussiestyle1983 has his one way tickets back home..........

Its poor peasants with attitudes such as your own who run the system here and that makes us want to leave, and you need not loose any more sleep, because many of us are leaving.

You will need to learn "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" and that is where the future of the education system here is heading.

Try calling me a bum to my face and see what happens, in stead of editing your post and hiding behind your PC.

All right now, in the immortal words of Rodney King in Los Angeles during the race riots, "Can't we all just get along?"

No insults; no flaming.

A lot of good, qualified teachers who don't enjoy a lot of things about teaching in Thailand stay here because they have family or friends; they enjoy trying to teach the students (who are nicer than the students back home), etc.

The educational system, however, will drive you insane if you allow it to do so. And that's not just because we 'don't understand the culture.' You can understand the culture quite well and dislike the way the system is done here. And there is precious little that we farang can do to change it, whilst it's very unlikely the Thais will change it much in the foreseeable future. Since there's no good way to say so on the school grounds, these teaching forums give us an outlet.

I had lunch today with the two guys who replaced me. One left at the end of the first year, the other's trying to switch to a higher-paying, better school. But if he switches, he'll mess up his entire visa/work permit setup, and risk the chance that he'll become a monthly visa runner - except he has a wife here, and a home they just renovated!! It is insane, ting-tong, baaa.

Oldfield, I would be interested in your contacts in Udon.. Thanks.

All right now, in the immortal words of Rodney King in Los Angeles during the race riots, "Can't we all just get along?"

No insults; no flaming.

Then what do you call this?

I have no problems with the filipinos leaving as well, they think they are so good because they have a degree in an un-related field from an institute back home that would not even be up to the standards of most western high schools! So not only is their degree worthless in terms of ESL teaching, they are not even native English speakers! At least most of the un-degreed farangs are native speakers and can speak the English language better! Also, the farangs need, and most of them do have a TEFL cert, I've never seen a filipino with a TEFL cert, and most of them don't even know what TEFL is, they confuse TEFL with TOEFL! This brings me to this question; Why is it that a non native English speaking filipino with an un-related degree from a college and who does not have a TEFL cert can get a TL and WP, when a non-degreed native English speaking farang with a TEFL cert in most cases can not get a TL and WP? filipinos are so proud of their education, but why is it that they end up teaching ESL in Thailand in stead of finding a job back home related to what they studied, so sad. Do they know that you can buy an Education, but you can't buy intelligence? I thoguh it was the farangs that bring the money into the school, I thought it was the farangs that the Thais want to see promoting the school and teaching their students. Honestly, the system here is more than fcuked up and will end up eating shit in the future! This post is becoming messy and I better post it before I expose many other truths about the industry here.

Isn't your comment a little late and a little biased?

You didn't say anything when this guy was freely lashing out against seemingly helpless Filipinos, and here you are stepping in when someone tries to persuade this farang to stop complaining about things he couldn't change even he wanted to. Racism doesn't have a place here or anywhere...

No insults; no flaming.

Then what do you call this?

I have no problems with the filipinos leaving as well, they think they are so good because they have a degree in an un-related field from an institute back home that would not even be up to the standards of most western high schools! So not only is their degree worthless in terms of ESL teaching, they are not even native English speakers! At least most of the un-degreed farangs are native speakers and can speak the English language better! Also, the farangs need, and most of them do have a TEFL cert, I've never seen a filipino with a TEFL cert, and most of them don't even know what TEFL is, they confuse TEFL with TOEFL! This brings me to this question; Why is it that a non native English speaking filipino with an un-related degree from a college and who does not have a TEFL cert can get a TL and WP, when a non-degreed native English speaking farang with a TEFL cert in most cases can not get a TL and WP? filipinos are so proud of their education, but why is it that they end up teaching ESL in Thailand in stead of finding a job back home related to what they studied, so sad. Do they know that you can buy an Education, but you can't buy intelligence? I thoguh it was the farangs that bring the money into the school, I thought it was the farangs that the Thais want to see promoting the school and teaching their students. Honestly, the system here is more than fcuked up and will end up eating shit in the future! This post is becoming messy and I better post it before I expose many other truths about the industry here.

Isn't your comment a little late and a little biased?

You didn't say anything when this guy was freely lashing out against seemingly helpless Filipinos, and here you are stepping in when someone tries to persuade this farang to stop complaining about things he couldn't change even he wanted to. Racism doesn't have a place here or anywhere...

The Filipinos get a lot more help than most of us native speakers get, ragardless of what you think.

I vote for sensei to be a moderator :o

The difference is that I was explaining my thoughts to what I believed were problems in the industry, problems that are happening that need to be changed to improve the standard of education here. I was explaining my beliefs based on experience on what is happening in the system here that is wrong and in my opinion taking a step backwards.

You, on the other hand, were making comments dirrectly at me. Telling me to pack my bags and so on, for expressing my feelings about certain things here. Telling me if I don't like it to leave.

Well, FYI, most of us don't like the system here, most of us have other options, but the only thing that keeps us here is our love for teaching and our love for especially teaching the Thai students, but at the end of the day, some of us have been pushed to far, for reasons we don't know and don't understand why, and now, regardless of our love for teaching here, have decided to leave.

aussiestyle1983,

I just have to ask. What is holding you back from leaving? Why can't you just go back to where it is better? Or could it be that your own country doesn't want you a bum like you either?

Not that its any of your business, but I have other travel plans before heading to Oz. If I would of been able to change the dates on my tickets, I would of been out of here a long time ago. But, since you sound so concerned, it should make you sleep better tonight knowing that aussiestyle1983 has his one way tickets back home..........

Its poor peasants with attitudes such as your own who run the system here and that makes us want to leave, and you need not loose any more sleep, because many of us are leaving.

You will need to learn "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" and that is where the future of the education system here is heading.

Try calling me a bum to my face and see what happens, in stead of editing your post and hiding behind your PC.

Yes, I did call you a bum.

But after reading what I have posted, I quickly removed it because I knew that I was in a public forum.

That's what education does, ausiestyle.

It makes you think twice about the things that you say especially when you know that it could be viewed by the general public.

Sadly, that is something that you obviously don't have.

Thank you for proving my point.

Edited by sensei