New School Year: Positions And Salaries Available

Jamie, I'd like to help but I really don't know who's hiring right now- most schools that say they have an "EP" or "MP" program will want math and science teachers. And if I mention some schools, it means I will unfairly leave out some others. As PB says, best if you look them up on Ajarn- and don't forget to stay away from the stinkers (check TEFLWatch before you bother to interview!)

"S"

IJWT I feel you are in the right grove with need for Math and Science teachers - it is the advertising or rather lack of it that poses the problem - No probs advertising for Native speakers as this is the accepted Norm - I believe it relates to losing face for a school to be saying we can't find Thai teachers (with enough knowledge) to fill these roles they sit and hope something will happen through the "old boy net"

This is not a flame just an observation - I currently have one Thai student whose speciality is maths he is in the process of doing his MBA - during a casual conversation about arith/maths I mentioned BODMAS - his stunned mullet look :o confirmed he had no idea what I was on about so I kindly thought aha he probably has a Thai equivilant for it and moved onto more appropriate things.

Aussie1983 lighten up - don't bust a boiler - remember that old saying "smooth as a babies bottom (bum)" I wish I could still say this about my wrinkled old dial.

Edited by mijan24

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, most of the better jobs in the higher EP/MP programs are being filled with the foreign teachers' "old boys' net" still, but it's the middle-to-lower range that'll be going begging this year. Should eventually raise salaries, but probably not until next year.

This thread began on April 13, and if Thailand's biggest farang teacher's web site is the best indication, there never were many job openings in many provinces, and many of the openings were miserably paid. The hiring season should be officially over, although this next week should see a flurry of "oops, we have 9 or 19 open slots and school starts tomorrow."

When I first started to look for a job (Nov 2005) there were hundreds of jobs, and a fair amount in the North. Now as PB states, there is hardly anything. I did see two jobs asking for a biology and general science teacher about 3 months ago, and Wichai was hiring as well, but not much else. The bio job would be fun, though I don't have the degree to back it up so it's a no go. I know for a fact my school has been looking for teachers, but every time I tell them to post on Ajarn.com they blow me off. I personally believe there are plenty of schools looking, but they either don't know, don't care, or are too ignorant about Ajarn.com.

As for the comment about the not clearing $880, the majority of teachers I have met fall into three categories. Older pre retiree, they want the 1 year visa, the younger teachers who want to teach and live prior to returning home to make better money, and Filipino teachers who have moved here and send money back. PB is right though, with the salary so low at the Govt schools and even many of the private schools, who wants to say "Well gee I really want to use my $60,000 teaching degree in Thailand for $10,000 a year".

To be perfectly blunt, were I to be staffing a school with people I expected to do more than TEFL, I would rather post a job ad here or hire by word-of-mouth than go to Ajarn.

That is probably true, I have a friend who has just picked up a 60k + job and it was through word of mouth.

I know somebody who got a small teaching gig doing privates through contacts on ThaiVisa, and she's now doing four times as much work, through satisfied customers. Her schedule is full, at high rates, close to home, diligent students, and easy work! At least it's easy for a genius like her.

For the mods:

why not have a thread stuck at the top where people can add job vacancies. Maybe after 2 weeks they have to be renewed by the original poster or they are deleted - once it's well-known it may even rival ajarn. Maybe some info in Thai to encourage schools to post. and its FREE for everyone.

What do ya think?

Loaded, my first impression is to say, "Surely, why not?" I know we don't have anybody here named Shirley, but I'll start it. The sticky won't mean it's closed, though, so fire at Will, or hire Wilhelmina, or put up a job for Billy Bob.

Besides, this Teaching Forum is kind of a sub-Forum of Jobs on ThaiVisa. Can't guarantee how it'll work, but let's try.

I haven't read through all this thread but try recruiting agencies such as www.seek.com.au, www.hays.com.au, www.teachanywhere.com.au, www.teachabroad.com. These are where the best jobs in Thailand are found offering between 60 000-120 000 + accommodation + health + bonus. Heaps on there at the moment in Bangkok.

NOTE these are International School positions so put in the application your home country address to get the expat package.Worked for me.

ESL never pays to support lifestyle or Thai Schools for that matter, sad but true.

Edited by Momo8

To be perfectly blunt, were I to be staffing a school with people I expected to do more than TEFL, I would rather post a job ad here or hire by word-of-mouth than go to Ajarn.

I started teaching three years ago on a 10-month contract for 30k a month.

Now I am earning 60+ teaching Science at one of the better schools and cannot handle all the ''extra overtime'' requests (600 an hour!). I can actually save as much money as back home!

Am I a B.Ed? No! But it takes two to tango in this society. Learn Thai.

Market yourself! Dress to kill, be clean and show respect to everyone.

Be respectable and things will work out.