Anti-coronavirus candidate vaccine being tested on animals in Thailand

webfact

Anti-coronavirus candidate vaccine being tested on animals in Thailand

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM8G6ohQMPdqOXWucBluiPhP8H

Thailand’s National Vaccines Institute, in cooperation with the Medical Science and Science faculties of Mahidol University and the Faculty of Pharmacy of Chulalongkorn University, is now testing a candidate COVID-19 vaccine in animals, following completion of initial laboratory based tests.

Dr. Nakorn Premsri, director of the institute, said today that, if the tests on animals show convincing results by stimulating the creation of antibodies, it will be tested on human beings in three phases.

The first phase will be on 30-50 test subjects to verify the candidate vaccine’s safety. That will be followed by a second phase of tests on 100-150 subjects, to find out whether the candidate vaccine will stimulate the production of the required antibodies. The third phase, which will be tested on over 500 subjects, is to determine the efficacy of the candidate vaccine, said Dr. Nakorn.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/anti-coronavirus-candidate-vaccine-being-tested-on-animals-in-thailand/

thaipbs.jpg

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Any idea on which year it might be approved for general usage?

From other news I've read today, the first COVID-19 vaccines – there are some 10-20 interesting projects right now – might be ready for approval between November this year and early 2021. But that does not mean that they are ready for general use, as they need to be produced in factories, which often is a complicated process with live vaccines, the news articles said. Normally it would take from 18 month and up to a couple of years to get a production facility up and working with a stable production of millions of vaccine-units, but due to the coronavirus situation it might be done faster. The predictions mentioned were mid 2021.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

if the tests on animals show convincing results by stimulating the creation of antibodies, it will be tested on human beings in three phases.

If the human test subjects end up scampering around on all fours, they will be relocated to Lopburi. 

11 minutes ago, khunPer said:

From other news I've read today, the first COVID-19 vaccines – there are some 10-20 interesting projects right now – might be ready for approval between November this year and early 2021. But that does not mean that they are ready for general use, as they need to be produced in factories, which often is a complicated process with live vaccines, the news articles said. Normally it would take from 18 month and up to a couple of years to get a production facility up and working with a stable production of millions of vaccine-units, but due to the coronavirus situation it might be done faster. The predictions mentioned were mid 2021.

I recentmy read that in The Netherlands they have a couple potential vaccines. The most promising ones are already in mass production. The testing phase is about to start, but if for any vaccine everything passes all the checks by the end of the year, they at least already have a lot of vaccines ready. And if not, then they’ll just discard the already produced batches. 

11 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I recentmy read that in The Netherlands they have a couple potential vaccines. The most promising ones are already in mass production. The testing phase is about to start, but if for any vaccine everything passes all the checks by the end of the year, they at least already have a lot of vaccines ready. And if not, then they’ll just discard the already produced batches. 

Are you saying that they mass produce vaccines before the testing program, where a few hundred, or maybe up to a few thousand vaccine doses are needed?
What if the tests fail, then the mass produced vaccines are worthless...????

36 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Are you saying that they mass produce vaccines before the testing program, where a few hundred, or maybe up to a few thousand vaccine doses are needed?
What if the tests fail, then the mass produced vaccines are worthless...????

I think the reason they wait 18 months is to see if it damages or kills the people who are vaccinated.

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

Any idea on which year it might be approved for general usage?

It'll all go deathly quiet after a while. Same as all the 'miracle cures' TL has been responsible for in recent years: AIDS, Dengue, Ebola, etc etc. Gets tedious after a while, but remember the exercise is not to create or find a cure, it's to get your name in the newspapers.

Interviewer: Hey, didn't you say you had a cure for AIDS in 2011?

Interviewee: Yep, that was me, it was in all the papers (in Thailand).

Interviewer: Excellent, the job's yours, here's a salary of 1m THB per year and all the tea money you can get.

Job done.

Edited by ParkerN

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think the reason they wait 18 months is to see if it damages or kills the people who are vaccinated.

Not really, according to the articles I've read. It's a question of getting a production facility runner after the test period where "humans survived".

One article says about production (Google translate from my native language), interview with Nikolai Brun, head of Medical Evaluation & Biostatistics at the Danish Medicines Agency...

- I can in no way imagine that there could be a company ready to send a vaccine out to the market by 2020.

- The most optimistic bid will be sometime during 2021. But I would be disappointed if we were to go in 2022, he says.

Otherwise, The Times quoted a British professor, Sarah Gilbert, last week that her research team, with 80 percent certainty, expects to present a vaccine for September.

- But you have to be very clear on what you mean when you say that a vaccine is ready.

- It may well be that the trials have been completed as early as September. But that does not mean that there is a vaccine ready to send to the market. Then you have to start producing the vaccine, says Nikolai Brun.

Why is it so cumbersome?

- These are biological drugs. Typically with living components of a virus that you have propagated in some tanks or parts of a virus that you have isolated.

- These are some extremely complex biological processes that have to take place in very large production halls. And so it just takes some time.

What is it that takes time in particular?

- You must be able to run the biological process and control it so that you do not produce too much or too little, but ensure that in each ampule is exactly the same as in the previous ampule.

- And it should be able to control that there is a completely controlled activity of the active ingredient. This is typically something that takes many years.

However, with the given focus on the coronavirus, it can be done faster, the unit chief emphasizes.

47 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Not really, according to the articles I've read. It's a question of getting a production facility runner after the test period where "humans survived".

Based on what I've read it normally takes years to ensure it's safe via human trials which are slowly scaled up over time, so they've either been wasting everyones time over the decades when introducing new vaccines or there are very valid reasons behind the wait.