IRS 2019 Tax Refund- Did they REALLY mail it?

I've lived in Thailand the last 8 years, and over these last 8 years filed my U.S. tax return using my Thai address and designating my refund be direct deposited into my U.S. Credit Union. Never a problem.

About a week ago my "stimulus" payment was direct deposited into that same account without a fault.

The IRS refund tracking website states my 2019 tax refund status as "Your refund was mailed April 17".....did they really mail it?  Don't ask me to contact my bank, I've already done that and they do not have the refund payment..... 

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Confused 1
31 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It's only the 20th April today,you cannot expect it to arrive already.

regards Worgeordie

That's not quite what I'm asking.  I requested the refund to be direct deposited to my bank- just like the previous years and just like the stimulus check...I am asking that, when the IRS website on the "Where's My Refund" states that the refund has been mailed, did the IRS REALLY mail it (as opposed to this taxpayer's instructions to direct deposit into my bank account).

Mine was direct deposited and here is the text from the IRS Refund site

The balance of your refund, $1,217.82, was sent to your bank on March 17, 2020 .

So I believe if it says mailed it probably really does mean paper mail.  Now if your address is in Thailand, I can only guess at the delivery time lines.  Many sites report Air mail not coming or going, but cargo planes are still flying, and things like DHS and Fed ex still deliver.  No idea what USPS mail might do.

50 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The balance of your refund, $1,217.82, was sent to your bank on March 17, 2020 .

So I believe if it says mailed it probably really does mean paper mail.  Now if your address is in Thailand, I can only guess at the delivery time lines.  Many sites report Air mail not coming or going, but cargo planes are still flying, and things like DHS and Fed ex still deliver.  No idea what USPS mail might do.

Thank you...I agree with your view that if the IRS Refund website uses the statement "was sent to you bank" it means it was direct deposited...why in the <deleted>*k they would mail my refund- no question my correct banking information was on the tax return- is beyond my understanding.  

USPS is not air mailing from what I've read...it could be months before I see the refund check- if it arrives at all....

Just now, jeffandgop said:

Thank you...I agree with your view that if the IRS Refund website uses the statement "was sent to you bank" it means it was direct deposited...why in the <deleted>*k they would mail my refund- no question my correct banking information was on the tax return- is beyond my understanding.  

USPS is not air mailing from what I've read...it could be months before I see the refund check- if it arrives at all....

Once or twice they mailed me paper even though my bank has not changed a thing in 18 years.  Sometimes the system just fails and they seem to recognize it, or don't retry it and then just step back and punt and send paper mail.  Happened twice as I recall with the Feds and one time with my California refund too

• Like 1

Forget about the special COVID-19 stimulus check!!  I am NOT concerned about that- I have received it already by direct deposit!  It's my 2019 Federal Tax Return, which 
I filed in March and am do a refund for overpayment of federal taxes.  That was to be direct deposited exactly as the STIM was accomplished automatically.  But the IRS MAILED to my Thai home address my tax refund for no understandable reason

5 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

The last mail I got from the USA (1week ago) took a month to get here so I would say you have some time to wait yet.

I feel sorry for you.  You got like 10% of the posts had anything to do with whether they mailed your tax refund or not.

If they did actually mail it, I would think it would take longer than normal to arrived but even then, what are you going to do with it unless your US bank allows online app photo deposits.

Edited by AAArdvark

OP,

Below is what my "Where Is My Refund" said about my "refund" which I identified for direct deposit....and it did direct deposit/post to my acct on 8 Apr.

Your refund was sent to your bank on April 8, 2020 for direct deposit. If you have not received your refund, take the following steps:

And regarding my "stimulus" payment below is what the Get My Payment site said (I X'ed out the last four digits of my acct number).  Same bank acct number used for my refund.   And the stimulus payment did direct deposit/post 15 Apr.  

We scheduled your payment to be deposited on April 15, 2020 to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ***********XXXX

Sure sounds like IRS "mailed" your refund this year for some reason.   If they had sent it via direct deposit they would have shown a direct deposit status.  And maybe at one time the Where Is My Refund site did reflect a direct deposit but for some reason the direct deposit got rejected and then the IRS immediately mailed it which is their standard procedure which would then cause the Where Is My Refund site to change status to "....it was mailed..."

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Wow, I am impressed as the law was not signed by The Donald until March 27th ... wait, what?!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Wow, I am impressed as the law was not signed by The Donald until March 27th ... wait, what?!

You are confusing the stimulus law (CARES Act) signed 27 March with an annual federal tax return refund.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I feel sorry for you.  You got like 10% of the posts had anything to do with whether they mailed your tax refund or not.

If they did actually mail it, I would think it would take longer than normal to arrived but even then, what are you going to do with it unless your US bank allows online app photo deposits.

Fortunately my credit union is set up to deposit checks online. Whether I actually receive it first......

2 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,

Below is what my "Where Is My Refund" said about my "refund" which I identified for direct deposit....and it did direct deposit/post to my acct on 8 Apr.

And regarding my "stimulus" payment below is what the Get My Payment site said (I X'ed out the last four digits of my acct number).  Same bank acct number used for my refund.   And the stimulus payment did direct deposit/post 15 Apr.  

Sure sounds like IRS "mailed" your refund this year for some reason.   If they had sent it via direct deposit they would have shown a direct deposit status.  And maybe at one time the Where Is My Refund site did reflect a direct deposit but for some reason the direct deposit got rejected and then the IRS immediately mailed it which is their standard procedure which would then cause the Where Is My Refund site to change status to "....it was mailed..."

The Where’s My Refund site only declared my refund to be mailed & then, was mailed,  as status. A direct deposit per my tax return instruction  was never rejected/never attempted. 

Edited by jeffandgop
8 hours ago, BTempleman said:

I've been fighting with my medical insurance company about sending paper checks. They take forever to clear and there's a hefty bank fee involved as well. Sorry for your luck on this.

Do have still have a bank in the USA? If so, most have phone apps that you can do a remote deposit. 

Hate to be the one to burst your IRS bubble, but if they sent it in the mail by the time it finds you it will be out of date....they only have a six month shelf life at best......back to square one......????????????????

Edited by chicowoodduck
Spelling....error...????
2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Hate to be the one to burst your IRS bubble, but if they sent it in the mail by the time it finds you it will be out of date....they only have a six month shelf life at best......back to square one......????????????????

Treasury/IRS checks are valid for one year.   However, my law a "U.S." bank are only required to honor checks up to six months old.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/082216/when-do-checks-expire.asp

image.png.6155147f427c61c2da4c371502dc2caa.png

https://budgeting.thenest.com/long-check-good-for-25084.html

image.png.ac3f5bc96d5ad134c84c3e389e40dded.png

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Treasury/IRS checks are valid for one year.   However, my law a "U.S." bank are only required to honor checks up to six months old.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/082216/when-do-checks-expire.asp

image.png.6155147f427c61c2da4c371502dc2caa.png

https://budgeting.thenest.com/long-check-good-for-25084.html

image.png.ac3f5bc96d5ad134c84c3e389e40dded.png

But I think a Federal Savings Bank  must accept the US Treasury check up to one year.  The six months only absolves other types of banks

44 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

But I think a Federal Savings Bank  must accept the US Treasury check up to one year.  The six months only absolves other types of banks

Couldn't say....I guess FSB is your bank....you would need to ask them.  By law US banks only have to accept checks up to 6 months old; if FSB accept older checks then that's purely their policy/choice. And maybe they do accept any check/govt check where it specially states on the check the validity period up to 1 year...especially a govt check.  Nothing special about FSB....it's just another U.S. bank.....its not a Federal Reserve/government bank or anything like that.

image.png.720d24234321aafebfdab5d0013e4952.png

Edited by Pib
4 hours ago, Pib said:

Couldn't say....I guess FSB is your bank....you would need to ask them.  By law US banks only have to accept checks up to 6 months old; if FSB accept older checks then that's purely their policy/choice. And maybe they do accept any check/govt check where it specially states on the check the validity period up to 1 year...especially a govt check.  Nothing special about FSB....it's just another U.S. bank.....its not a Federal Reserve/government bank or anything like that.

image.png.720d24234321aafebfdab5d0013e4952.png

You keep saying that but I believe any Federal bank has to accept the treasury checks.  And Treasury checks are considered Certified checks as the funds are guaranteed and available

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, jeffandgop said:

The Where’s My Refund site only declared my refund to be mailed & then, was mailed,  as status. A direct deposit per my tax return instruction  was never rejected/never attempted. 

Received my tax refund check today.  It was reported by the IRS to have been mailed 17 April....took 7 weeks to arrive.....

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Received my tax refund check today.  It was reported by the IRS to have been mailed 17 April....took 7 weeks to arrive.....

Was that the postmark date also?  Have found there often is a delay between mailing date and actual mail deposit.  But time is not that much off as I received an SS letter that was mailed on 24th of April last week.  Some organization have been drop mailing from Europe and they have arrived in about 3 weeks (but that was more than a month ago).  But mail should be getting better.