Farangs in Chiang Mai help desperate Thais after handouts fail to arrive

webfact

17 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I think your being very mean hearted.   I'd rather get a bit of help from the Dave's of the world than some pompous or arrogant religious organisation that siphons of 90% of donations.   The poor people in the community can get breakfast at the wat but they still need lunch and dinner.  And maybe the dirty farang helping Thai's on TV news may embarrass the government just enough to get some soup kitchens on the ground.   I am not my brothers keeper but I sure can share a loaf of bread with him in his time of need. 

You are not sharing your loaf of bread but giving them leftovers from the leftovers to make you feel good because you  want to "help". Share you "bread" by selling your house and car to feed your neighbor.

No? Well you are mean hearted!

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

45 minutes ago, covpete1 said:

Thais should be protesting outside government buildings...? These handouts make no difference?? What an absolute load of <deleted> some people talk! 

It is true, the actions of normal people only stimulate the government to hold back doing anything themselves. You essentially waste personal owned money and cause slow progress made within the government. If you want the government to act, it is better to let people suffer a while.

The reason the army isn't dropping food themselves everywhere, is because there is no real reason for that, and it is was too early doing so too.
No such thing as a food shortage in this country, complete nonsense. Many lotto gamblers who waste 1500B of their 10K wage, then eat mama only as result.

P.S. In USA there are actually 40 million people with near food hunger. Pretty shocking for the country that supposed to be the best. Thailand wins.
That is not even related to Corona but a general thing.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No it's not the reality.

Yes the Thai government, in a perfect world, should be taking care of it's people, but we don't live in a perfect world. Has the USA, and many other countries, been perfect and balanced in their response? The answer is NO>

All governments are corrupt you would think that the proud thai government with its huge army could organize food handouts. There is a big difference between not getting resonable healtcare, where many countrys it the rich west failed,  and starvation. Here people are starving. BIG difference.

Of course there is poverty in many parts of the world but that doesn't mean that helping a little locally in the area where you live is wrong, it's basic care and concern even if we can't continue the help longer-term.

Do it if it makes you feel good mate but your "help" does nothing.

Much of what you write is incorrect, is just ill-intent and bashing.

Ill intent that I want a long term solution than people begging for food under the hot sun from short lived "charity" from people that want to "make a difference"? Why cant the army deliver bags of rice to peoples homes? What about sick people that cant stand in line?

• Sad 3

Food access is plentiful in thailand....there are many other problems that Thais face under this scenario...

starvation is not one of them....

identify the problems b/f offering unfounded solutions..

minuscule feel good stories are nice but to make a difference, there should be follow up stories to how the 20 riches families in thailand are doing/responding in taking care of their own...

donated millions and millions of baht for project implementation not an isolated 20 bags of white rice story....

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, PJPom said:

A couple of weeks ago I posted a comment about people helping others and suggested that we put aside our TV prejudices and sarcastic responses and just say well done. It seems that reading the responses to this original post very few agree ...then again what should we expect, this is Thaivisa.

Reality check mister. You are a guest here and you presence is unwanted by the elite in Thailand and nobody expects anything from you plus your "solidarity" does nothing.

Rather you "help" might cause a face loss to the elite resulting in harsher visa rules because when you are kicked out no thai would protest because you handed out a couple of bags of rice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What the hell is wrong with you?

A few people trying their best to help others, not as fortunate as themselves, and all you can do is come up with pathetic comments... Shame on you.

If I'm wrong attack my argument and not me as a person. Singing "we shall overcome" is childish and does nothing. But do sing and buy rice if it make you feel good mister.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

9 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I feel sorryfor you. You seem to have a very sad life. Never heard of love and compassion?

Even a symbolic action can make people feel better, 

I adore Dave and his wife for their action. For their gift of love.

May you understand

So you adore Dave for buying rice for 10 000 bath.
Would you worship me if I doubled that?

This is the point i'm trying to make. These are nice gestures but does nothing beside getting admiration of small minded people.
But go ahead an do it if it make you feel good and you get a adrenaline kick from people waing to you all day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

27 minutes ago, hugolars said:

Reality check mister. You are a guest here and you presence is unwanted by the elite in Thailand and nobody expects anything from you plus your "solidarity" does nothing.

Rather you "help" might cause a face loss to the elite resulting in harsher visa rules because when you are kicked out no thai would protest because you handed out a couple of bags of rice.

How do you know he is a guest? 

He might be a permanent resident, or naturalized citizen. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How do you know he is a guest? 

He might be a permanent resident, or naturalized citizen. 

Might be but most of us would be kick out with a stroke of a pen even if one feed the entire village. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Not for the last 6 weeks they ain't.

No instead many joked on Facebook groups they got a long holiday with free meals and bought alcohol for at their rooms. Thais love doing nothing, it aint no punishment.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Maybe he didn't want to be identified because he didn't want his good deeds to backfire down the line. The authorities have boasted about their scheme to help people and then reneged on the promise, so his actions have shamed them. He's made it clear he's not an agitator or a glory hunter, so probably doesn't appreciate his photo being plastered across the media without permission. 

Yes. He could be seen as an hostile NGO. These are desperate times for all, not least for the elite. Best for all farangs to keep low profile.

22 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I see in your latest post replying to criticism you do not like personal attacks, could I ask what you expect when you reply with put downs as above. 

Please criticize the argument I made. How did I put someone down? Sometime reality hearts but needs to be said.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

I got the reaction wrong, it should be the 'sad' face. Sad because someone had to write such a nasty comment.

Sometimes the possible truth is nasty... 

The possibility of complete economic world wide collapse is not unrealistic.

• Like 1