Farangs in Chiang Mai help desperate Thais after handouts fail to arrive

webfact

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

No instead many joked on Facebook groups they got a long holiday with free meals and bought alcohol for at their rooms. Thais love doing nothing, it aint no punishment.

Rubbish. Just shows the social circles you hang out in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Would be a whole different story if you send 13400 or 34000 then i would be picked up emediatly now she has a loss of face with your cheapcharly 3,400 for birthday . On the other hand if you would have send more she would have probably put out her line and hooked and sinked you again and you would have taken the bait for sure , looking at your name ????

3400 for an ex gf is not cheap. 

Using "Cheap Charlie" speaks volumes. 

Normal expats don't use such language. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Retarded said:

I took advice of TVF commenters and told bye to my Thai lady but sent her 3,400 BT two weeks ago for her birthday. She hasn't picked up the money yet. I don't think all Thai is that desperate.   

Perhaps her other boyfriend sent 5-10 times more so she couldn't be bothered ????

Edited by BMW Overlander
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I do not know if it´s Dave on the picture above in the news, but if so they just couldn´t respect his request.

Anyway, Cheers to Dave and his wife as well as all others that jumped in and made this possible. Good Job!

I'm 6'6 (2m) and physically look down on most people, but even I would have trouble

recognising Dave from the photo, it was his wife who posted the photos so I 

guess you should aim your indignation her way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

No instead many joked on Facebook groups they got a long holiday with free meals and bought alcohol for at their rooms. Thais love doing nothing, it aint no punishment.

When I was about 8 years old I would have silly arguments with my younger 

sister. Every time she lost a point, she would change the subject over and

over again, rather than concede she was wrong.

Just give up will you, you're making yourself look like a 7 year old girl on the internet.

5 hours ago, Retarded said:

I took advice of TVF commenters and told bye to my Thai lady but sent her 3,400 BT two weeks ago for her birthday. She hasn't picked up the money yet. I don't think all Thai is that desperate.   

Probably, because you did'nt send the correct Western Union number details and now she can't top up her mobile. PS, 3,400 does'nt go that far.

Oh I think most of us here have helped various Thai people over time and it is nice to see some getting a positive few words from the press.

The question that comes to mind is about the 5000 Baht handouts...room for some corruption here maybe? 

5 hours ago, hugolars said:

I could be harsh by my opinion is that these are mere gestures without any what so ever effect to do any difference to the situation.

Some would say its better than nothing but i think that these actions do more harm than good.
The starving people must turn their attention to the government to come up with long term solution instead of standing in line begging for food from local citizens and foreigners. I thought the proud thai and their government would not accept charity from strangers. Instead the should be standing outside government buildings demanding their rights.
These farangs and thais buy them self happiness with some bags of rice and eggs but for how long can they do that? A week? Two weeks?

People are starving it nothing on the horizon indicate any improvment. Hungry people might come back and can turn aggressive if you turn them back so what do you do then mr farang?
There is so much worse misery in the world so do you think that you bag of rice do any difference think again. It's arrogant to think that you have done any difference with this "charity". If it makes you feel good then think again on why you are doing it.
Don't mean to offend  anybody but this is the reality.

Amazing comment above, your view on reality and my view are very different. I hope you never have to go hungry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai News reported that the tipping point for their actions in doling out hundreds of kilos of rice and dry goods was news that many people had failed to get their promised 5,000 baht handouts from the government.

Good on yer Dave.... Shame on Prayut, I hope these people remember this next time at the ballot box. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hugolars said:

So you adore Dave for buying rice for 10 000 bath.
Would you worship me if I doubled that?

This is the point i'm trying to make. These are nice gestures but does nothing beside getting admiration of small minded people.
But go ahead an do it if it make you feel good and you get a adrenaline kick from people waing to you all day.

Dave refused to be interviewed saying he and his friends didn't do it for recognition. 

You are a very sad individual!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

I got the reaction wrong, it should be the 'sad' face. Sad because someone had to write such a nasty comment.

How was that a nasty comment? He is lamenting the fact that individuals need to resort to using their pensions to feed people when it is the government that is responsible for people not getting their checks. Then he is lamenting and hoping the farang’s own government doesn’t do the same to him which would make matters even worse. How was that nasty? How? 

• Confused 1

This is a very good thing.  I imagine this is loss of face for Thailand's leaders.    Why did the government need to appeal to the 20 richest?  This country needs an upheaval.  

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

evidence please

So do you think a little country like Australia can go 6 months being closed and handing out printed money like confetti can go on ? As I said here countless times the world is in big trouble if you have gold or real assets I wouldn’t be parting with them right now . The world is in a mess the quicker we all understand that the better . As I said good on him and let’s hope his turn doesn’t come around where he turns up to someone’s door destitute and broke . Harsh reality’s are going to hit home very soon . The very first thing that will be cut is western aid to foreign countries and then any money being sent abroad by governments . We could all end up on rations . 

Edited by chrisandsu

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

So you adore Dave for buying rice for 10 000 bath.
Would you worship me if I doubled that?

This is the point i'm trying to make. These are nice gestures but does nothing beside getting admiration of small minded people.
But go ahead an do it if it make you feel good and you get a adrenaline kick from people waing to you all day.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Dave refused to be interviewed saying he and his friends didn't do it for recognition. 

Did you actually read my original post?
Read it before bashing. I did not attack Dave.

Most of this "charity" are PR stunts from BigC and other mega corporations and does not solve any problem what so ever.

Small minded people like you and many other cant see that the problem will grow exponentially by the day because tourism will never come back like it was pre Covid19 days.

Can you feed millions with impulsive charity?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Have to agree partly, I think many just do it because they can get it for free. Same with the meals. I mean, jesus, it is like we are in a war or tsunami for months while in reality people have been without work for less than a month in total. Imagine what a real disaster would do then.

Know quite a few of the Thais getting free meals since day 1 in CM, while they had no rent due and money in the bank for luxury coffee from Graph cafe.
Basically you would have people in long queues on any given day by handing out free food or money to Thais. Morals & Ethics don't exist here.

Your gender might be male, but you are certainly not a man.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

But you are the small and petty minded person here. Farangs are helping Thais, Thais are helping farangs.

Go ahead and "help" if it gives you a buzz. But be prepared to do it for years so you might have to sell house and car and empty your bank account. Wonder if you will get visa extension with empty bank account.

Even if you donated a million baht and bragged about it you would still be small and petty minded person here.

Where is "here" exactly and am I simple minded saying that this "charity" accomplish nothing and much bigger actions by the government before real starvation starts? 

Daver and his mates donated with their hearts and minds simply because they wanted to. Nobody forced them to do so.

Do I mock by highlighting the fact these charities accomplish nothing? Can nice people like Dave feed millions?

All you seem to have done in this post is carp, whine, mock and complain.

Yes let us all sing "we shall overcome" when millions starve. Wake up dude.

• Haha 1

People love a hand out whether it is needed or not...it’s just human nature 

the problem is very little is being done for needy Thais is a big picture way...

little stories like these unfortunately While nice deflect where substantial contributions should be made but aren’t happening. There is no public communication or write up is made so a story like this is nothing but filler...

let us know when someone like the CP family or equivalent makes a 500 million baht contribution to a meaningful charity or create their own to help their own people in need....That is the glaring story that should dominate the news but it doesn’t exist...the lack of giving by the Thai elite is THE story in itself.... 

The #2 country in the world in income disparity further grows in a crisis like this....

• Like 2