Farangs in Chiang Mai help desperate Thais after handouts fail to arrive

webfact

4 hours ago, hugolars said:

Did you actually read my original post?
Read it before bashing. I did not attack Dave.

Most of this "charity" are PR stunts from BigC and other mega corporations and does not solve any problem what so ever.

Small minded people like you and many other cant see that the problem will grow exponentially by the day because tourism will never come back like it was pre Covid19 days.

Can you feed millions with impulsive charity?

God you're boring....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Retarded said:

I took advice of TVF commenters and told bye to my Thai lady but sent her 3,400 BT two weeks ago for her birthday. She hasn't picked up the money yet. I don't think all Thai is that desperate.   

Hi - took what advice from TV?  
why 3,400bt as a strange amount?

do you contact her when your not there because you would know why she ain’t used the money if you did? 
was all a bit vague and by the way I know many are desperate !

15 hours ago, hugolars said:

I could be harsh by my opinion is that these are mere gestures without any what so ever effect to do any difference to the situation.

Some would say its better than nothing but i think that these actions do more harm than good.
The starving people must turn their attention to the government to come up with long term solution instead of standing in line begging for food from local citizens and foreigners. I thought the proud thai and their government would not accept charity from strangers. Instead the should be standing outside government buildings demanding their rights.
These farangs and thais buy them self happiness with some bags of rice and eggs but for how long can they do that? A week? Two weeks?

People are starving it nothing on the horizon indicate any improvment. Hungry people might come back and can turn aggressive if you turn them back so what do you do then mr farang?
There is so much worse misery in the world so do you think that you bag of rice do any difference think again. It's arrogant to think that you have done any difference with this "charity". If it makes you feel good then think again on why you are doing it.
Don't mean to offend  anybody but this is the reality.

Yes, sort of have to agree. I always worry about the genuineness of these apparently selfless people making a donation (and wanting to remain anonymous). The Thais are great at pooling resources between themselves. They also have managed before without these donations from 'dirty farangs'. It can easily backfire, especially when the donations don't keep coming forth, and then seen as charity to already very proud Thai's. Do it once and you'll be expected to keep doing OR you will be the worst bast**d under the sun. 'Give them fish - you will feed them for day - teach them how to fish - they will never be hungry'.

Edited by Melbun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

Interesting thread

The actions of Dave and his wife are commendable, no doubting kind hearted and generous people, well done. A thoughtful couple, looking after people who are struggling to feed themselves and/or their families credit due to them

Rather difficult however to understand the venom directed at comments that suggest this generous and kind effort is not a long term solution?

Anyone want to put forward the idea of this guy being canonised as the patron saint of Thailand.

Look you people: Thai's will outwardly display appreciation - but behind this guy's back the will say 'Ahhhh dirty rich farang has too much money - he can afford it'. Cynical?? - maybe, but this supposed goodwill gesture will backfire. Would have been better to invite some Thai friends to his home and treat them to dinner.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

Yes, sort of have to agree. I always worry about the genuineness of these apparently selfless people making a donation (and wanting to remain anonymous). The Thais are great at pooling resources between themselves. They also have managed before without these donations from 'dirty farangs'. It can easily backfire, especially when the donations don't keep coming forth, and then seen as charity to already very proud Thai's. Do it once and you'll be expected to keep doing OR you will be the worst bast**d under the sun. 'Give them fish - you will feed them for day - teach them how to fish - they will never be hungry'.

Let me add that because of the thai lifestyle, Buddhism and the fact that in the Asian world we would never accepted you as one of them its absolutely not a foreigners business to interfere with anything here. Its Karma in their believe and no one expect the old farang to feed the thais in need. Keep your head low. They already think covid 19 is spread by farang. Look at what happens to africans in China. Same mentality here. They are very superstitious.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Melbun said:

haahhaha - You don't know them as well as you think. Don't think you do mate.  it will backfire and blow up in his face - he will come to regret it when he gets those gazes and blank stares ' dirty rich farang - he has plenty of money and we are so poor '

All their soap operas are portrait in incredible wealth but thais never look at other thais with greed or envy even though this wealth come from corruption. Fascinating is it not? Maybe they think it karma that they are rich but same mentality is not applied on the old farangs hard earned pension. 

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, hugolars said:

All their soap operas are portrait in incredible wealth but thais never look at other thais with greed or envy even though this wealth come from corruption. Fascinating is it not? Maybe they think it karma that they are rich but same mentality is not applied on the old farangs hard earned pension. 

What is wrong with you? You bored during the lockdown?

Or just determined to antagonize as many members on here as possible, because it gives you some kind of twisted pleasure.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done Dave, good to see farangs doing their bit to help.

Many farangs around the country doing similar, well done folks.

I am here in the Philippines and the 700 families in our Barangay received 15,000 Kilograms of rice from the local foreigners in addition to the government supplement. 

Truly grateful people in the community. 

It is not universal and some local authorities are slow and targeted in their distribution which is dissapointing. 

They are benefitting their groups of political influence.

Generally where I am is managing reasonably well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hugolars said:

Haha OR maybe they are jealous of anyone richer than them. They are human as well as Thai. They suffer the same foibles as anyone else when viewing people richer than themselves. Quote: "but thais never look at other thais with greed or envy even though this wealth come from corruption" hahah No I don't suppose HiSo's look down on Isaan folk ?? Laughable.

• Like 1

A post using ALL CAPS has been removed as there is no need to shout when posting.  

Some troll posts and replies have been removed.

Some inflammatory and offensive posts and replies have been removed. 

Edited by metisdead

5 hours ago, hugolars said:

Let me add that because of the thai lifestyle, Buddhism and the fact that in the Asian world we would never accepted you as one of them its absolutely not a foreigners business to interfere with anything here. Its Karma in their believe and no one expect the old farang to feed the thais in need. Keep your head low. They already think covid 19 is spread by farang. Look at what happens to africans in China. Same mentality here. They are very superstitious.

Yep - how true - stay below the radar. Never show off to them, nothing wrong to shout someone a beer but ........but........but....... don't place yourself in the position as the self appointed provider. After all would you give to all the needy beggars, sadly NO for your own self preservation. In an ideal world everyone should not be needy. Just go to the Philippines and start giving things away to all that have needs. You will be stripped to the bone like a piranha would do. Impossible.

Edited by Melbun
  • Sad 1

Good job,Dave & Vatinee!

I can't help but wonder where the charitable offerings are from the legions of missionaries here in CM. There are apparently many thousand of them. They can't all be out praying upon the poor and needy in the hills....sorry, couldn't resist that one. ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Yet again, a thread turns to bickering.

Not bickering mate. It's called diversity of thought and this is very fertile ground for people's input.

Edited by Melbun

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Teach them what?

How to get a job? Many of them had jobs and incomes brfore the government in all its wisdom??? decided to shut most places down?

How to pay the rent and at the same time provide for their families with no money coming in?

You can't teach them to fish if they have no money to buy the bait and there are no fish in the sea.

It's an allegory - Lessons in life >>> saving for a rainy day, ensuring you have food in the house, learning to have the skill set.

Quote: ' before the government in all its wisdom??? decided to shut most places down ' - shouldn't you say 'governments' plural. In case you don't know, just about everywhere is shut down - and the governments did it ' in their wisdom ' to protect it's citizens from potential death. It's a problem vastly bigger than a few sacks of rice. Mate: don't point your moralistic finger at me - you solve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

it is nice they are happy to help,when this is over will the thais remember this about the farang and not try to over charge them   or anything else.if they do all good

Hahahah maybe the bargirls with give a freebee or at least a big discount (in appreciation of the good deeds).

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Coconut,

never confuse activity with achievement...

this story equates to fire trucks going around CM spraying water to deal with the air pollution...

what another checkpoint?

What are you achieving with all your negativity?

These people sharing their wealth is not a bad thing is it?

As said , if you want to start a thread highlighting how horrible and mean

rich people are, or fire trucks spraying water needlessly, then go for it.

Coming on to a thread like this and spouting your bile just makes you appear to 

be a sad little man.

Perhaps start a  thread explaining how you would make the world a better place in your

eyes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I know it is an allegory but you seem to think most Thais get enough to save for a rainy day though most of them don't get that much.

I and most Thais are not interested in what other countries are doing as the thread is about Thailand and the Thai people.

Also I am not your mate.

I would love to be able to solve the problem but I cannot as I am not a Thai person nor do I have any power.

What I do think is that this government is long on words and short on action, yet they punish people who try to help others. Just the sort of thing to bring happiness and reconciliation to the Thai people.

Not my mate you say ?? oh I'm really cut up about that . Not interested about what happens in other parts of the world ?? Only interested in Thailand ? Oh dear, then you've obviously been there too long, become myopic and don't appreciate cultural diversity (have you also become xenophobic like Thai's ?) In essence, I think  you are like the Thai government 'strong on words but short on action'. Ok Einstein what is the solution ?  Allow everyone to go back to work and risk their health and spread infection OR a benefactor  giving away bags of rice ?? Don't answer - had enough of your nonsense.

Edited by Melbun
  • Sad 3

Here you go all farang Samaritans that want to save the thais from starvation:

When you end up in jail there will not be any riot outside demanding your release same when your visa extension is denied because you are short 1 bath in the bank account. 

Keep low and mind your own business. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1