Phuket: House ransacked after couple admitted to hospital for Covid-19

webfact

House ransacked after couple admitted to hospital for Covid-19

By The Nation

800_c8d6630aab796e4.jpg?v=1587355505

A couple’s house in Phuket province was broken into on Saturday while they were admitted to a hospital due to Covid-19.

The assets that were stolen include a gold necklace, a gold ring, five gold bracelets, two bags and cash valued at Bt100,000.

Police were notified immediately after the family recovered from the coronavirus and returned to their home – only see that their house was ransacked.

One of the family members told officers that she was infected with Covid-19 and was admitted to a local hospital on April 4, while her husband followed her on April 7, leaving the house unprotected.

The police collected evidence at the scene, including fingerprints and the DNA of the thieves and sent them for forensic examination. The suspects have been interrogated while an investigation is being conducted.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386393

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-20

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

he assets that were stolen include a gold necklace, a gold ring, five gold bracelets, two bags and cash valued at Bt100,000.

Yep, and there is no insurance company in the world that would have an insurance that would cover with the look of that room.

One would actually guess that there would be nothing there worth bending up the door for.

The case is quite clear-cut for me using the little bit of common sense I´ve left. It might just be a lie all through, when I ask myself who lives like that with the combination of having 100k baht in a drawer? ????

Two bags with cash????? I can hold 1M baht between my thumb and long finger.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The case is quite clear-cut for me using the little bit of common sense I´ve left. It might just be a lie all through, when I ask myself who lives like that with the combination of having 100k baht in a drawer? 

The report states that "the assets that were stolen include a gold necklace, a gold ring, five gold bracelets, two bags and cash valued at Bt100,000". 

It doesn't categorically say that there was B100K in cash but, more than likely, the suggestion was that all that was stolen was worth B100,000.  I think.  A comma could have made it clearer!

Edited by The Word
  • Like 1

Yes the room looks too tidy up to have been ransacked... but who knows. It might be they thieves knew exactly what was what they were looking for. It happened to my teacher in Pattaya. The construction workers in the condo next to where they lived had direct sight to their condo unit. Apparently during many days they saw through the window their movements and knew quite accurately where they are putting their wallets and precious stuff. The thieves left footprints with a very exact and unique path from the balcony to the drawer where they stored money, wallets, etc. Also means is a good idea to put this stuff somewhere hidden and close the curtains every time you need to access it. Or put the wallet next to you, at least less chances to get robbed as they might not risk to go into the bedroom as much as they'd risk to go around your living room.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yep, and there is no insurance company in the world that would have an insurance that would cover with the look of that room.

One would actually guess that there would be nothing there worth bending up the door for.

The case is quite clear-cut for me using the little bit of common sense I´ve left. It might just be a lie all through, when I ask myself who lives like that with the combination of having 100k baht in a drawer? ????

Two bags with cash????? I can hold 1M baht between my thumb and long finger.

Do you have any solid proof for that accusation?

32 minutes ago, Tarukhtah said:

Yes the room looks too tidy up to have been ransacked... but who knows. It might be they thieves knew exactly what was what they were looking for. It happened to my teacher in Pattaya. The construction workers in the condo next to where they lived had direct sight to their condo unit. Apparently during many days they saw through the window their movements and knew quite accurately where they are putting their wallets and precious stuff. The thieves left footprints with a very exact and unique path from the balcony to the drawer where they stored money, wallets, etc. Also means is a good idea to put this stuff somewhere hidden and close the curtains every time you need to access it. Or put the wallet next to you, at least less chances to get robbed as they might not risk to go into the bedroom as much as they'd risk to go around your living room.

Yeah, happened to someone I know as well. Construction going on next door, they snuck in at night while the owners of the house were in the house and stole a few things, amongst them a gold chain fro. a bed stand  with someone lying in the bed! Apart from the items missing you couldn’t tell that anyone had been in the house at all. 

Edited by pacovl46

37 minutes ago, Tarukhtah said:

Another thing to note... DNA and fingerprints for a 100K robbery? Wow I did not know the police level was that high. 

People really should read the OP more carefully:

"the assets that were stolen include a gold necklace, a gold ring, five gold bracelets, two bags and cash valued at Bt100,000"

Seems like quite a bit more than ‘just’ a 100K robbery to me.

It's funny, i posted on Facebook I was going on vacation and my house got robbed.  I told my friends don't tell anyone my 7638 alarm password and please don't look under the 76th tile in the bathroom, parallel from the light switch that has a small 8 etched in gold.  please don't press the button. yea, i lost 10 million gold.  Then i begged my 10,000 friends to not let my dog eat my bags of cash under my sink in a bag labelled, 'retirement'.  

i'm confused, so i'll have to give a sterner warning next time.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The suspects have been interrogated while an investigation is being conducted.

I'm thinking it was someone who knew the victims, that they were in hospital, and where the valuables  were hidden. (normal hiding place in Thailand, in the wardrobe under some clothing)

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I'm thinking it was someone who knew the victims, that they were in hospital, and where the valuables  were hidden. (normal hiding place in Thailand, in the wardrobe under some clothing)

Yes, most people are pretty dumb when it comes to hiding things. In the UK, my home got burgled twice, all they got of my personal things was 40 GBP in vouchers. My ex-wife lost all her jewelry each time, about 20,000 GBP in total. - in the wardrobe or in her dressing table .........

17 hours ago, lee b said:

How on earth would they ever know if anything was missing with all that rubbish all over the place.

Most single room "apartments" look like this....everything is kept in them and nothing ever thrown out.

Houses are the same...piles and piles of magazines, clothes and household stuff everywhere

19 hours ago, pacovl46 said:
21 hours ago, The Word said:

The report states that "the assets that were stolen include a gold necklace, a gold ring, five gold bracelets, two bags and cash valued at Bt100,000". 

It doesn't categorically say that there was B100K in cash but, more than likely, the suggestion was that all that was stolen was worth B100,000.  I think.  A comma could have made it clearer!

Grammatically speaking, with enumerations your never use a comma before the last one, instead you use “and”, which in this case implies because of the way the sentence is structured that cash valued 100 grand was stolen in addition to the other items mentioned. 

I wasn't suggesting that the OP would have been made clearer by the use of a comma after "bags".  A comma after "cash" is all that would have been needed.

I think my interpretation of the report was not unreasonable.

Incidentally, while you are trying to teach me grammar here, you may like to revisit your own comment above with a few spare commas.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:16 AM, webfact said:

The suspects have been interrogated while an investigation is being conducted.

Rather ridiculous to say that "The suspects have been interrogated..." when there is no mention of such persons mentioned in the report nor in the actual newspaper report.

'nuf sed.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:41 PM, rudi49jr said:

People really should read the OP more carefully:

"the assets that were stolen include a gold necklace, a gold ring, five gold bracelets, two bags and cash valued at Bt100,000"

Seems like quite a bit more than ‘just’ a 100K robbery to me.

doubtful since the jewelry is most likely Chinese counterfeit as most jewelry is in Thailand. I can hold 100k baht in my wallet so the story of "two bags of cash" seems fishy.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, The Word said:

I wasn't suggesting that the OP would have been made clearer by the use of a comma after "bags".  A comma after "cash" is all that would have been needed.

I think my interpretation of the report was not unreasonable.

Incidentally, while you are trying to teach me grammar here, you may like to revisit your own comment above with a few spare commas.

I’m not trying to teach you anything. All I’m saying is that the OP made perfect sense with the commas they used and there’s no two ways to interpret it. They found what they found plus cash valued at 100K. 

• Confused 1