Beware of Lazada

Dario

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

I ordered a mens cologne ,  1390 bht!

The seller sent me the wrong one !

He claims it was the correct one!

The picture and description clearly shows he's mistaken!

So I'm currently going through the motions with Lazada CS.

I told them that I wanted a full refund and that I didn't want a Wallet ! They  assured me that once everything is resolved that they would  deposit the refund in my bank account !

( After further review of the sellers (listed as a new seller)past transactions, they have sent wrong items  which resulted in customer complaints, unfortunately the customers relented and kept the products because they didn't want to go through the return process).

Seen it many times and experienced but just once or twice especially with lower value items where its more hassle than its worth. I think they do it on purpose.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, starky said:

Well don't wait 10 days to try it perhaps? Why would you buy goods accept receipt, I assume open it and then what do nothing for 10 days? That's on you.

Those 7 days that Lazada gives you don’t really matter that much. There’s still a contract between the merchant and you, and delivering a broken or counterfeit good likely means he’s in breach of the contract. So the actual question is what Thai contract and commercial law has to say about this (and maybe whether Thai regulations of online businesses require more than 7 days return policy such as in the EU, which I doubt). As far as I understand it, the Thai CCC says 1 year. 

But, of course, knowing your rights and enforcing your rights are two completely different pair of shoes. Even more so as a foreigner living in Thailand. 

Using a credit card from a western bank is one safeguard. It’s why I got a Citi card instead of going with one of the Thai Banks. I only had one dispute case so far (which wasn’t even related to one of the e-commerce sites but one of the big electronics shops) and their customer support was excellent. Of course, maybe the Thai Banks would handle it equally well, but somehow I have doubts that you would be getting a customer agent who speaks fluent English, refunds your money, and then brokers between you and the fraudulent merchant (which until then wouldn’t even react to me). 

But I also only buy low value goods from Lazada and Shoppee. Especially when it comes from an overseas merchant. I had one wrong item delivered from a Thai merchant and the next day a pickup truck came who exchanged it. Had something from China that was missing one piece and didn’t bother to go through the refund and exchange process. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Those 7 days that Lazada gives you don’t really matter that much. There’s still a contract between the merchant and you, and delivering a broken or counterfeit good likely means he’s in breach of the contract. So the actual question is what Thai contract and commercial law has to say about this (and maybe whether Thai regulations of online businesses require more than 7 days return policy such as in the EU, which I doubt). As far as I understand it, the Thai CCC says 1 year. 

But, of course, knowing your rights and enforcing your rights are two completely different pair of shoes. Even more so as a foreigner living in Thailand. 

Using a credit card from a western bank is one safeguard. It’s why I got a Citi card instead of going with one of the Thai Banks. I only had one dispute case so far (which wasn’t even related to one of the e-commerce sites but one of the big electronics shops) and their customer support was excellent. Of course, maybe the Thai Banks would handle it equally well, but somehow I have doubts that you would be getting a customer agent who speaks fluent English, refunds your money, and then brokers between you and the fraudulent merchant (which until then wouldn’t even react to me). 

But I also only buy low value goods from Lazada and Shoppee. Especially when it comes from an overseas merchant. I had one wrong item delivered from a Thai merchant and the next day a pickup truck came who exchanged it. Had something from China that was missing one piece and didn’t bother to go through the refund and exchange process. 

It's always a smart idea to use a credit card for purchases in case there's a problem.  Most credit card companies are inclined to support you if you;ve been wronged in a transaction.

However, as far as Lazada is concerned, I have never had to resort to filing a complaint through my credit card company, never!

Lazada is a lot like Amazon; they are very serious about ensuring good customer buying experiences and so they usually take the customer's side without making it a big hassle.  At least that's been my experience when a vendor was negligent with my order.

They seem to believe in the old adage, "The Customer is always right" ????

Edited by WaveHunter

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Lazada is a lot like Amazon; they are very serious about ensuring good customer buying experiences and so they usually take the customer's side without making it a big hassle.

I never had to go through a dispute because of Lazada or Shopee either (the only one time was with one of the big brick and mortar electronic retailers that also has an online shop) but then I also never ordered anything of high value from any of the e-commerce sites. 

I found it quite a hassle that I was supposed to go to a Kerry shop to return a 10-pieces set from China for less than 1,000 Baht value which was missing one piece. The merchant could have just sent the missing piece. So in the end I just swallowed this one. The exchange of a wrong article delivered by a Thai merchant was easy and smooth though. That local furniture maker just came with a pickup and exchanged it. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

A mini washing machine, now that is funny.

Do Lazada have mini refridgerators and mini freezers or mini cookers even?

Yes, they sure do. Especially for Mickey & MINNIE Mouse.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:36 AM, WaveHunter said:

Some of the vendors on Lazada might be less than honest (though my own experience is that this is not very common).  Lazada itself address buyer complaints promptly and fairly IMO, especially if you contact them by phone.

I have had a major issue with a vendor only 2 or 3 times in the three years I've bought from Lazada, and each time, Lazada's customer service reps took care of the issue promptly with a refund.  Contacting Lazada Customer Service by phone is remarkably quick and effective.

Well, like I said, my issue with Lazada is that they suppress reviews of counterfeit products, thereby leaving other customers vulnerable. The sellers I reported for selling counterfeit guitar strings are still selling guitar strings on Lazada, just not the specific ones I reported them for. In my opinion, that's not a zero tolerance policy at all.

• Like 1

I have sellers from time to time mess up. If it looks like a genuine mistake (like shop that I bought from previously and all was good, but this time something went wrong) I try to contact seller first and sort things out. But if they are not responsive, I take the case up with Lazada. Actually had a challenge with a shop a few weeks back and it was a mistake from otherwise very good seller. 2 of their CS were very helpful, but on the 3rd time I got a guy who claimed everything opposite and caused seller and me a lot of inconvenience. Told him I'll save chat as what he's saying makes no sense and previous agents claimed opposite. Once that was done, of course all went wrong and the first agent had to clean up the mess. So it really depends on who your agent is but in general, most are very good.

If you buy something with no warranty that only has 7 days return and try to return it after more than 7 days - system will lock you out. There's nothing CS can do. It's up to you taking it up with the seller. Often they don't offer warranty as they resell products bought in other countries and it's not possible for them to send them to that country (China, Russia, Hong Kong, etc) for repair. Shipping could be too expensive. Maybe illegally imported. Maybe warranty already expired from date they bought the item and sold it on Lazada.

Other online sites are the same.

If you are concerned about what you are buying and whether you are getting warranty, buy from LazMall, Fulfilled by Lazada, or official shop of the brand (usually LazMall) and read the description at the top of the listing which displays the warranty offered.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 3:29 AM, OneeyedJohn said:

Responding to a post nearly 1 year old I am guessing lockdown is especially painful for you.

My sympathies.

It's not as if these issues have disappeared over the past year.  It's not unusual to find a close-to-home issue using the search function and comment with recent, updated info. 

That's more useful than starting a thread from scratch and having 10 threads on a single issue.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, taiping said:

Same 7-day deadline for returns when I bought a fake "Kingston" USB Flash drive from Lazada. Found out after trying it after 10-days. Lazada would not take any responsibility and claim they vet all their vendors to prevent counterfeit products. Sure, which is why I can buy fake products on Lazada today and prove that they are fake.  

Did you buy from LazMall Kingston official store?

Also, if you do initiate the returns process within the "order details" portion of the lazada portal ( the 7/15 day return period) the process goes smoothly.     

Also, not sure why people are buying electronic devices/appliances and waiting several weeks (after the return period is over) to test them.   Especially in Thailand, whos fault is that really?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Did you buy from LazMall Kingston official store?

Also, if you do initiate the returns process within the "order details" portion of the lazada portal ( the 7/15 day return period) the process goes smoothly.     

Also, not sure why people are buying electronic devices/appliances and waiting several weeks (after the return period is over) to test them.   Especially in Thailand, whos fault is that really?  

Agree with you.

Official shops don't sell fake stuff. If listing shows Brand: OEM or No Brand in the item description and the product is too cheap to be true, then it's probably a fake. I've had a fake Jabra headset delivered in the past. And it was beyond 7 days. Lazada asked me to send it to them for inspection - printed label and sent to Lazada warehouse. An hour after notification they received it (I sent them product plus photos of real and received products side by side, as well as Jabra's statement that serial number was never produced), I got notification refund is on the way to me. Seller was in China or Hong Kong or something like that.

For fake products it seemed return policy wasn't limited to 7 days.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

...If you are concerned about what you are buying and whether you are getting warranty, buy from LazMall, Fulfilled by Lazada, or official shop of the brand (usually LazMall) and read the description at the top of the listing which displays the warranty offered.

Good point about any online platform that offers fulfillment by the platform (as opposed to fulfillment only by the merchant), since the platform (in this case Lazada) is more accountable to you, the buyer (and more likely to take your side in a dispute).

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Agree with you.

Official shops don't sell fake stuff. If listing shows Brand: OEM or No Brand in the item description and the product is too cheap to be true, then it's probably a fake. I've had a fake Jabra headset delivered in the past. And it was beyond 7 days. Lazada asked me to send it to them for inspection - printed label and sent to Lazada warehouse. An hour after notification they received it (I sent them product plus photos of real and received products side by side, as well as Jabra's statement that serial number was never produced), I got notification refund is on the way to me. Seller was in China or Hong Kong or something like that.

For fake products it seemed return policy wasn't limited to 7 days.

Fake (counterfeit) merchandise is a big problem on all platforms, even Amazon which takes a supposedly takes a very tough stance on it. 

However, It kind of amazes me that AliExpress seem be the only one that allows it (providing the merchant or buyer feedback says they are fake but of decent quality)!

I know that might seem hard to believe but just look at running shoes on AliExpress.  You can usually see knock-offs of Nike, Mizuno, and other popular brands, where buyer reviews will openly say stuff like, "these are the best knock-offs you can buy", and sometimes even the product listings will admit they are "replica" or call them by a close sounding brand name like "Nikee" LOL!

Fact is, I accidentally ordered fake running shoes on AliExpress.  I have to say, for the money they weren't that bad...but still, it kinda sucks that counterfeits are so tolerated on AliExpress.

13 hours ago, Salerno said:

On 4/1/2021 at 11:12 AM, WaveHunter said:

2) Almost all of Lazada's buyer reviews are written in Thai and Chrome browsers can not translate them.

Can't say I've seen that:

1937263673_Bear----Bread-maker-Lazada-co-th.png.e0b584dd51bdf902fed32273ebaa7e2d.png

Bear-Bread-Maker-Multipurpose-bread-maker-Bread-maker-Breakfast-Bread-maker-Lazada-co-th.png.0b4c1b33e2c184ca952c8071c5928468.png

How can you say that when your example clearly shows untranslated thai messages?

Occasional buyer reviews are in English but the majority are in Thai and unable to be translated by browsers with a Chrome translation extension.  They can only be manually translated by copy/paste to a translator app like Google Translator.

Edited by WaveHunter

35 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

How can you say that when your example clearly shows untranslated thai messages?

Occasional buyer reviews are in English but the majority are in Thai and unable to be translated by browsers with a Chrome translation extension.  They can only be manually translated by copy/paste to a translator app like Google Translator.

If one opens a sellers web page for a product and its reviews on Lazada, right click on the mouse and translate into english....all the reviews are translated into english.

On  android chrome a similar function exists or slightly different that the page will first need to be opened in desktop mode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Look again; it clearly shows the original in Thai and underneath the original reviews again translated to English in chrome (the pictures are a bit of a giveaway hence the reason those two reviews chosen as the example).

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

They can only be manually translated by copy/paste to a translator app like Google Translator.

Wrong, sometimes it doesn't work first time but just tell it to translate again immediately and it does. Only come across a few places it fails and Lazada hasn't been one of them (so far). But, you mentioning "app" does raise the question, are you actually browsing on a mobile or desktop?

Edited by Salerno

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Look again; it clearly shows the original in Thai and underneath the original reviews again translated to English in chrome (the pictures are a bit of a giveaway hence the reason those two reviews chosen as the example).

Wrong, sometimes it doesn't work first time but just tell it to translate again immediately and it does. Only come across a few places it fails and Lazada hasn't been one of them (so far). But, you mentioning "app" does raise the question, are you actually browsing on a mobile or desktop?

OMG...I take it back!  You are correct.  Your persistance got me to check all my chorme settings and it seems I had Thai selected as a second language for the browser.

Apparently having it set like that means that Chrome will not attempt to translate anything that is written in Thai into English.  Once I disabled Thai as a second language...miricle of miricles...it now works fine!

THANKS!!!

Edited by WaveHunter

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

What browser are you using?

Chrome (latest version, 89.0.4389.114). I normally only browse sites on desktop, can't be bothered doing so on a phone unless no choice.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Chrome (latest version, 89.0.4389.114). I normally only browse sites on desktop, can't be bothered doing so on a phone unless no choice.

I just revised my reply but I appreciate your persistance so much I'll repeat my reply here:

"OMG...I take it back!  You are correct.  Your persistance got me to check all my chorme settings and it seems I had Thai selected as a second language for the browser.

Apparently having it set like that means that Chrome will not attempt to translate anything that is in Thai into English.  Once I disabled Thai as a second language...miricle of miricles...it now works fine!"

So again...THANKS!!! ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Good to hear.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Apparently having it set like that means that Chrome will not attempt to translate anything in Thai into English. 

That's a "gotcha" that I would never have ever thought of; a good heads up for others hitting the same issue.

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Good to hear.

That's a "gotcha" that I would never have ever thought of; a good heads up for others hitting the same issue.

I've got to say I was so sure you were wrong, almost to the point of getting a little snarky about it.  Boy do I feel dumb now LOL!

It just goes to show you can learn something new everyday if you just keep an open mind!

I sincerely appreicate your persistance because not being able to avail all the buyer feedback for all these months has been a real big issue for me, and you helped me solve it finally!

Signed,

Mr. Humbled.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2021 at 10:18 AM, WaveHunter said:

Fake (counterfeit) merchandise is a big problem on all platforms, even Amazon which takes a supposedly takes a very tough stance on it. 

However, It kind of amazes me that AliExpress seem be the only one that allows it (providing the merchant or buyer feedback says they are fake but of decent quality)!

I know that might seem hard to believe but just look at running shoes on AliExpress.  You can usually see knock-offs of Nike, Mizuno, and other popular brands, where buyer reviews will openly say stuff like, "these are the best knock-offs you can buy", and sometimes even the product listings will admit they are "replica" or call them by a close sounding brand name like "Nikee" LOL!

Fact is, I accidentally ordered fake running shoes on AliExpress.  I have to say, for the money they weren't that bad...but still, it kinda sucks that counterfeits are so tolerated on AliExpress.

My brother's first wife was a lawyer.  One of her clients was a very well-known prestige watch company and she handled the fake watch cases in her geographic area.  One of her desk drawers was full of fake watches of that brand and some of them were really good knock-offs.  My brother wore one of those knock-offs, really good, probably a nice $500 watch.  

She was good at what she did, so one year the company said they wanted to reward her with one of their watches in addition to her usual fees and she asked if she could have a men's watch, that she gave to my brother.  It looked nearly identical to the knock-off he'd been wearing.  One day they were out driving, with his arm out the car window.  She was aghast, that someone might steal his expensive watch.  After that, the expensive watch went into the safety deposit box and he went back to wearing the perfectly good knock-off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, NancyL said:

My brother's first wife was a lawyer.  One of her clients was a very well-known prestige watch company and she handled the fake watch cases in her geographic area.  One of her desk drawers was full of fake watches of that brand and some of them were really good knock-offs.  My brother wore one of those knock-offs, really good, probably a nice $500 watch.  

She was good at what she did, so one year the company said they wanted to reward her with one of their watches in addition to her usual fees and she asked if she could have a men's watch, that she gave to my brother.  It looked nearly identical to the knock-off he'd been wearing.  One day they were out driving, with his arm out the car window.  She was aghast, that someone might steal his expensive watch.  After that, the expensive watch went into the safety deposit box and he went back to wearing the perfectly good knock-off.

When I was in China a friend took me to visit the Luohu Commercial Center in Shenzhen which is probably the largest shopping mall where counterfeit watches are openly sold. 

It's pretty funny because there are all these signs all over the mall written in Chinese and English that warn shoppers that purchasing counterfeit goods is a crime, but the watches are clearly displayed in the windows of shops, and shop owners actually come running out of their shops if they see you looking at them in the window and practically drag you into the shop haggling with you in broken English barely letting you get a word in edgewise.  It's the "hard sell" like you've never seen before!

They are very aggressive at trying to sell you too.  They absolutely won't take "no" for an answer!  "You want to buy watch? We have many brand.  We give you good price."  And if you say, "well I'm just looking", they just won't let up.  "No problem!, How much you want to pay?  We have many brand.  You like Omega?  We have many Omega, Rolex, all brand!  Very low cost"  Then if you ask them how much for a certain watch, they say "All depend.  How many you want?"  When you finally just start to walk out of the shop, they follow you outside, walking beside you still trying to haggle!  Talk about persistence! LOL!!!

I know rolex watches (authentic ones) really well.  I own a genuine Rolex Submariner that I''ve had for over twenty years.  I know all the tricks to spot a fake from an original, and I was blown away by how good some of the fakes were that I saw!

We went into a few shops and I found this one that had the usual cheap tourist knock-offs but when I asked if they had any better ones, the sales girl took out a case from under the counter that had the really high-end knockoffs, and that's when I saw my dream watch!  It was an almost flawless knockoff of a Rolex Pro-Hunter!

The Pro Hunter is an Rolex-authorized limited edition version of a Rolex Sea Dweller, which sold for around US$30,000 when they were being made!

4D811CA4-E1A0-4356-B79A-77040F44D90F.jpg.8f275345082620ee1e4c9e3854bd13c5.jpg

I was so impressed I bought one (which is actually perfectly legal, as far as US Customs is concerned; I underlined the word "one" because customs has a provision that actually allows you to bring one into the US "for personal use".  I paid 2,000 yuan ($320) for this watch. 

It even came in an absolutely genuine looking Rolex watch case with a certification paper and green sticker on the watch back...talk about an authentic looking knockoff!

It was such a good knockoff that when I took it to a Rolex authorized jeweler back in the States for cleaning, he thought it was genuine until he opened the back, and even then he was surprised how close it compared to the real watch!

I know it's fake but I love the watch because to me it looks and feels like a true work of art!  I'll never part with it.

To be clear, I fully appreciate how bad knock-offs are for a company like Rolex that invests huge amounts of money and effort to make their brand among the best in the world, but you really have to give credit to the Chinese for being true masters of producing unbelievably authentic copies of an original!  For better or worse, that's an art unto itself.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have been buying on Lazada for many years. The few times I have had to return something, I have used their excellent return system, printed out the return label, and dropped it off at Kerry, without any charge to return. Refunds have always been prompt. 

Having said that, you always need to study the fine print, look at the warranty from the seller, and study their feedback. Common sense stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have been buying on Lazada for many years. The few times I have had to return something, I have used their excellent return system, printed out the return label, and dropped it off at Kerry, without any charge to return. Refunds have always been prompt. 

Having said that, you always need to study the fine print, look at the warranty from the seller, and study their feedback. Common sense stuff. 

I don't often have a need to return merchandise bought on Lazada but when I do I usually drop off returns at any 7-11 store...talk about easy and convenient ???? 

Lazada is really a great platform even though i wish they had more of a western-oriented selection of goods.  Can't really complain though.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't often have a need to return merchandise bought on Lazada but when I do I usually drop off returns at any 7-11 store...talk about easy and convenient ???? 

Lazada is really a great platform even though i wish they had more of a western-oriented selection of goods.  Can't really complain though.

Western goods are being added every day!  We have a splendid little convenience store in our condo building with an excellent assortment of western items, thanks to the owner, a former buyer with Rimping Supermarket.  During the Covid-induced slowdown in business, she's set up a Lazada "store" and keeps adding more merchandise.  Cans of Dr Pepper are one of her big sellers.  It's common when we visit her store to see her packing up something we take for granted like pretzels or poptarts, to be shipped to a foreigner in rural Issan.  

Once I ordered a can of soup from her via Lazada.  She was not amused as she hand-delivered it to our front door.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NancyL said:

Western goods are being added every day!  We have a splendid little convenience store in our condo building with an excellent assortment of western items, thanks to the owner, a former buyer with Rimping Supermarket.  During the Covid-induced slowdown in business, she's set up a Lazada "store" and keeps adding more merchandise.  Cans of Dr Pepper are one of her big sellers.  It's common when we visit her store to see her packing up something we take for granted like pretzels or poptarts, to be shipped to a foreigner in rural Issan.  

Once I ordered a can of soup from her via Lazada.  She was not amused as she hand-delivered it to our front door.

I agree; Lazada seems to constantly get better for us Westerners but there is still a lack in many product categories that force you to look to other sources. 

Vitamins and supplements are a good example.  FInding a trusted brand of multivitamin on Lazada at reasonable prices is almost impossible, and I'm forced to buy from iHerb. 

Also in many instances, the price for western goods on Lazada are vastly over-inflated beyond what a normal markup on an import should cost.  There's no question in my mind that many Lazada merchants (not all) are serious price gougers when it comes to western products.

In regard to RImping, I sure miss them now that I've moved down to the Pattaya area.  No supermarkets down here carry such a targeted selection of western food products like RImping does.  They really have the pulse of western appetites down pat.

Rimping also manages their inventory of non-western goods far better than the major supermarkets down here.  Down here they can be out-of-stock on certain popular products like certain salad dressing, certain soups like Minestrone which I love, premium breads like Royal multi-grain (yum!), and other staple goods for weeks on end.

So, nice to know that RImping is now on Lazada.

Another of my favorite Chiang Mai stores (Hillkoff Coffee) is also now on Lazada.  Hilkoff's Lazada store is ALWAYS fully stocked in all of their coffees and delivery to Pattaya is only two days...outstanding!

Edited by WaveHunter