Your Eyes and Ears

Gonzo the Face

What do you see and hear regarding this question.

Talking now about the greater Chiang Mai area.   Most of us know, especially those of us in business for ourselves, that things have not been as good for the past couple years, and now the added on Covid-19 problem.

What business' in the CM area do you know about that have closed down?  I would like us to list those that we know of , but please if it has been mentioned lets try and not repeat them.  Shocking to me was the old line guest house The Hollanda Montri...closed.

I think it would be interesting to see the list.  Post if you know...... just for the past two years

what do you see and hear about the following

Edited by Gonzo the Face
spelling

Amazing Sandwiches on Huay Kaew Road appears to have close for good.  I saw a truck removing everything out a few weeks ago  and now there is a for rent sign in front.  I will miss it.  Good food and friendly staff(cute girls).  

I think the Art Cafe at Tapae Gate has closed. They closed before the virus and saw stuff being taken out .

Also a small Italian restaurant inside Tapae Gate ( don't know name but been there many years). 

I take a self isolation seriously. I also don't go back in the old neighborhood, live in another area of town. However you have piqued my interest. 

Old News ---- Soi 1 ratchadamnoen, right behind the Montri Hotel (Hotel M now) If you walk that soi north, cross by Irish Pub, up to Somphet Market. There were more than a couple, old time packer places, barely hanging on, Three were GONE. That was second half of 2018. These are bp GH, because if you walk that way, you go by three new boutique hotels, built to tap into the Chinese Gold Rush. Unfortunately as part of the massive overbuild, oversupply they were basically vacant, but staying open. 

BTW I used to stay at Hollanda Montri back in the day when Bik & Bong ran it (80's) . I assume Luc & Ahm were still running it until closed ... ?

Sad Days ...  

I'll do a drive by of the Montri & places listed above, with camera & lens next week..

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

For information sake Lomsak, Luc and Ahm sold out a couple years ago now,  the new owner, a falang, & Thai wife were running the place until he passed away a bit ago.  I just found out the other day that the place has shut down and Thai wife has relocated to Bangkok. This is word on the street not gospel.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I take a self isolation seriously. I also don't go back in the old neighborhood, live in another area of town. However you have piqued my interest. 

Old News ---- Soi 1 ratchadamnoen, right behind the Montri Hotel (Hotel M now) If you walk that soi north, cross by Irish Pub, up to Somphet Market. There were more than a couple, old time packer places, barely hanging on, Three were GONE. That was second half of 2018. These are bp GH, because if you walk that way, you go by three new boutique hotels, built to tap into the Chinese Gold Rush. Unfortunately as part of the massive overbuild, oversupply they were basically vacant, but staying open. 

BTW I used to stay at Hollanda Montri back in the day when Bik & Bong ran it (80's) . I assume Luc & Ahm were still running it until closed ... ?

Sad Days ...  

I'll do a drive by of the Montri & places listed above, with camera & lens next week..

Around Moonmuang Soi 5 seems to be "investor central"

The big new "complex" - Spice Garden I think its called. The Rama gh was sold and is being "rebuilt". There was another guesthouse just up from the Rama , maybe called the Siri (can't remember) probably sold as remains just a shell, bits knocked down. A couple of other places look like Chinese investors or for that market. That whole soi has either mistimed their investment spectacularly or maybe knows something that we don't?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

Hard to believe that a lot more cannot be mentioned. 

With respect, Gonzo, I need to pay attention to what works, now.

~o:37;

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just checking in to see if there are any updates to this thread topic.  I must say that I have never seen anything like the current times, nor for that matter even imagined such a time and I have been in business all my life and thats many, many years.

Being in my business here for almost 25 years now, I have never seen things so slow.  In bygone years we have sometimes had a little as 7, 8, 9 or so customers for some days in the low times of the year, but now there are days when we do not see even 1 customer.  I don't know if we have done something terrible or what.  We used to have groups that came by for early  morning breakfasts and meetings....now they have gone back home and no new replacements have come in.  We have been known primarily for our breakfasts, and now, yes the times have put some restrictions on people , but even the regulars, folks like family who we have seen and known for years, are not coming by.  I just don't know what to do.  I don't want to close down but there is only so far I can go.  Well so much for lament.

PS If you're hungry , come on down, there is no time like the present.

All the Best

Gonzo

People are not out and about like in the past.  Malls very few walking about.  Roads with comparatively little traffic. Me too, my truck is mostly getting a rest.  Going to be a while longer before I am dinning out as much as I did last year. Maybe next year.

18 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

People are not out and about like in the past.  Malls very few walking about.  Roads with comparatively little traffic. Me too, my truck is mostly getting a rest.  Going to be a while longer before I am dinning out as much as I did last year. Maybe next year.

May you have good luck and in a close time frame .... hoping all good for you

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Gonzo the Face said:

Hard to believe that a lot more cannot be mentioned.  Come on gang..... put a little effort into helping some who may not be aware of some of the closings and will be wasting a trip.  Thanks TV-ers.

How would we know, we're all locked away at home?

My local swimming pool in SanSai has re-opened, but the Thai restaurant above it is still closed.

If I were you Gonzo, I'd be cutting all outgoings, get rid of any staff you are still paying.

Edited by BritManToo