Hatari fan repairs - Fed Up :(

Daffy D

2 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

No :sad: as in did not fix. :angry:

Now have a pile of several unfixable fans waiting for the dustbin diver recycle man to come round and take away. Hope he can make some money out of them. :thumbsup:

If it had really done it's time, discarding and going in for replacement is the best, I guess.

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i know what you mean ...  but it was all i had available ...  but yes, i'll get some sewing m/o or fine motor oil if i have to. Cooking oil goes dry after time and becomes sticky somewhat.

Baby oil works equally well since it’s just a mineral oil with some smelly stuff

• Thanks 1

Hatari's are <deleted> fans,the ones i have had anyway, never bought them

just brought home when people leave the rental properties, i went

away for the weekend, returned home ,and the first thing i see is

a Hatari fan with the fan part that just snapped off,have another

one that hardly turns, i have cleaned it,oiled it,changed the capacitor

but still only works slowly.

I bought a Hatri Turbo 1 air cooler,had it 2 weeks and the little motor

that works the swing feature ,the motor works but makes a grinding

noise,and does not swing.sent an e mail to Hatari enquiring price

and availability but no reply yet,the must be closed, the part is not

on their website or on Shoppe or Lazada.

The fans that i have bought,in the first years i came here,they are

National/Panasonic,wall fans 30 years old and still working well,because i

always maintain them,the only thing that breaks is the plastic part

that enables the fan to go up or down, there is a very strong spring

inside that must put great strain on the part so they fail.

regards worgeordie     P.s. Singer oil is what you need.

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, Daffy D said:

That was my thought also, but I thought (hoped) those thermal fuses reset themselves :unsure:

I sorted one last weekend, it was the thermal fuse.

The one in the fan was tiny, like about 4mm square and 1mm thick hidden in amongst the various connections. Fan runs fine with it shorted (I know, I know) whist waiting for somewhere that sells the beasties to re-open.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

The one in the fan was tiny, like about 4mm square and 1mm thick hidden in amongst the various connections. Fan runs fine with it shorted (I know, I know) whist waiting for somewhere that sells the beasties to re-open.

Yea! I've come across those before but they are right in amongst the tiny copper wires that make the windings and messing with those usually gives further problems with cracked insulation and  broken connection because its all so tightly packed.

Anyway from now on if a good clean and a squirt of oil don't fix it it's out  :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Yea! I've come across those before but they are right in amongst the tiny copper wires that make the windings and messing with those usually gives further problems with cracked insulation and  broken connection because its all so tightly packed.

Yup, decidedly fiddly, my attitude was "it can't work any less than it does now".

If I can't fix it in half an hour the cage and blades go in the "spare bits" box the rest goes for the recycling man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

If I can't fix it in half an hour the cage and blades go in the "spare bits" box the rest goes for the recycling man.

Oh! Your's got it easy lad.

I don't have a dedicated workshop as such, just a covered lean-to out back. If I need to do a job it takes me about that long just to get all the necessary bits together.

Got to get tools from the shed, multimeter, small tools and heat shrink and test leads stuff from front room drawer, electrical tape from fridge and so it goes, you get the idea. :unsure:

Then when I finish a job, got to put it all away again and clear the bench in case it rains overnight. 

I used to enjoy the satisfaction of fiddling about and fixing things but these days just don't seem like fun any more.  Guess it's just another one of those things that comes with the years.

Obviously like yourself keep a spares box of usable stuff, but so far never had to use any of those bits. :whistling:

• 1 year later...

18 inch fan is about 5 years old.  Have 2 other Hatari fans that are older.  This one runs slow and hot.  It spins quite freely (at shutoff, the blade spins for about a minute).  No smoldering or smoking.  What is the benefit of changing the capacitor?

Is it possible to change out the motor assembly? (new 18 inch fan runs about B 1900).

14 hours ago, richthai said:

18 inch fan is about 5 years old.  Have 2 other Hatari fans that are older.  This one runs slow and hot.  It spins quite freely (at shutoff, the blade spins for about a minute).  No smoldering or smoking.  What is the benefit of changing the capacitor?

Is it possible to change out the motor assembly? (new 18 inch fan runs about B 1900).

Overheating and slow running, if it's not the bearings could well be the capacitor. For the minimal cost of replacement it's worth a try. If it doesn't fix it then you have a shorted turn in one of the windings.

Amazingly there are chaps who will re-wind these motors for rather less than the cost of a new fan but in all honesty, unless you have a man very locally, it's time for a new fan.