Thailand's Jet Ski Scam Gets Heated

This is like a lot of stuff out here Illegal you bet, and a bad reflection of Thailand and its people.

but never sorted by the people in Authority ? because if they do that there is no money in it for

any one, so 18 years later we are still getting these video's, You would have to dress like a china

man to stand any chance of a fair deal with the scammers, surely every person who earns a living

with TAT is in on this scam, just by turning a blind eye to this, they do not fear the video because 

they might get fined/jailed/shouted at!!! they fear it might warn other Farangs of the real L O Scams  

• Sad 1

All who been in Pattaya or Phuket for some time, know that they take photo of the jetski before you rent, (with a few old scratches they don't talk about)!).

When tourist return jetski they take out a 2nd camera with old photos of the undamaged jetski to 'proof' that the jetski didn't have any scratches before.

They quote ridiculous inflated repair cost as well.

Well known scam for 10+ years, less frequent last year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Because there's such a long queue  of people wanting to rent it.......:coffee1:

Maybe, maybe not but if the contract signed says pay for time out of service, then thats what the guy agreed to. Damage a rental car in the west and they add a out of service cost.

Watch the un-edited video (posted above), you will see that many inconvenient facts have been edited out. The fact that there were 2 damaged jetskis, the 30k figure being quoted is an insurance deductible if they claim on insurance, the actual bill ended up 10k, 5k for each jetski damaged. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is the original (unedited) youtube video from 9 months ago. The original video is very enlightening as it hasn't been edited. There are actually 2 jetskis damaged as they collided. The guy ended up paying 10k.

This is not a jet ski scam, its a video blogger scam, make up controversial content to get the number of views up.

https://youtu.be/yMIsVC7ijY8

you're right peter. can you really blame people for having the negative attitude towards the situation though ? it is not uncommon for these things to be a total scam.

now everyone apologize to peter.

First of all all people who are having fun on disturbing the sea life and the air as well it’s  so nice to take a walk or run on the beach while you are breathing the smoke by the jet skies instead of the fresh salty air isn’t it, so I can’t feel sorry for them anyway, on the other hand the other part who do this for business reason with the same result may should not have any customer, but if you still wants to be their victim while ignoring your environment then pay for it as much as you can!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jet ski's have been here a long time I was in Phuket in 97 and they were there then.  No scam though.

Like everything things get expanded and tourists need beware.

On the flip side there were 2 jet skis that were involved in an accident and were damaged.  If the contract says X amount then there is nothing you can do.  The one thing i don't understand is that they keep saying I will call my father.  

What is daddy going to to do lol

Also if they felt that they were getting ripped off one of them could have gone to the police or called the police themselves.

I would say considering that they could not control their ski's that they got off lucky.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, jadee said:

There should be a way of warning tourists about the infamous 'jet ski scam'. It happens again and again, there are always fresh victims who've never heard of it before. I know there are many youtube videos and things like that, but people don't watch them before coming. There should be a more effective way to let everyone know. 

Ban them totally for 5 years, might help but no guarantee.

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is the original (unedited) youtube video from 9 months ago. The original video is very enlightening as it hasn't been edited. There are actually 2 jetskis damaged as they collided. The guy ended up paying 10k.

This is not a jet ski scam, its a video blogger scam, make up controversial content to get the number of views up.

https://youtu.be/yMIsVC7ijY8

So if you are told you have to pay 30000b (in an intimidating manner and not relinquishing your valuables) and you find out that the real price was 10000b, you don't consider that a scam?  

Watched the link you posted and the blogger captions it saying that it was a scam due to overcharging.  He didn't overstate things.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 3:22 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Once i saw docu on television (years ago), same stuff , so i know i will not ever hire jet ski in Thailand.

No matter how much fun.  In that docu, the Thai guy even came out with a shotgun !!

Sounds like the one where the jetski guys went up against the UK navy boys on R&R.

Edited by cranki

One important point here: They guys claimed they left their car keys and mobile phones in the safe of the jet ski rental company. So basically, they cannot leave, they cannot call anyone (taxi, police, friends to pick-up) unless the shop managers gives them their belongings but they won't do till they pay. And I think that part is a bit unfair, independently of whether the jet ski was truly damaged or not.

On 4/21/2020 at 8:38 AM, Peterw42 said:

Damage a rental car in the west and they add a out of service cost.

When I rent a car an insurance with deductible is automatically included in thee rental price, and I'm offered the option to pay a premium to have no deductible.