BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand extends foreigners' visas for a second time as coronavirus cases slow

It is very simple.

1. If you're on a TV (SE, ME) or visa exemption or you already have a 30-day extension of SE/ME/Exemption entry and the permitted to stay date in on/after March 26, you're good till July 31.

2. All other cases, please go to your IO office and get it clarified. IO offices are like ghost towns now. It will be easy and quick.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

90 Day reporting was suspended across the board a couple of weeks ago and I believe, as the new order is an extension of the old one, there isn't any requirement for 90 Day reports until the end of July (at least).

I'm due to report on the 24th June.

Non O multi entry marriage, permission to stay until April 14th 2020. If a border run was done say, 15th July, (presuming borders are open), or a 60 day extension done on the same date, when would the 90 or 60 days be counted from? April 14th or 15th July?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I'm due to report on the 24th June.

What was due, is no longer due.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Non O multi entry marriage, permission to stay until April 14th 2020. If a border run was done say, 15th July, (presuming borders are open), or a 60 day extension done on the same date, when would the 90 or 60 days be counted from? April 14th or 15th July?

You can stay until July 31st.

If they later announce this as the last day of amnesty, use your 60 day extension then, unless your Non O is still valid and you prefer a border run for the 90 days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You can stay until July 31st.

If they later announce this as the last day of amnesty, use your 60 day extension then, unless your Non O is still valid and you prefer a border run for the 90 days.

Thanks Tanoshi, so it would be counted starting from the day I reenter/apply.

5 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Thanks Tanoshi, so it would be counted starting from the day I reenter/apply.

Yes.

• Thanks 1

Non B multi entry, entry stamp until 7 June, Visa good til December 

asked here and on another forum if I can stay until July 31st and been told Yes, maybe and definitely not

is there a visa agent anyone can recommend, who I can consult? 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They would not be on a overstay. The rules do appear to say if the extension expires you are covered under the order since the only way to stay longer would be to leave the country.

But as I wrote I am not sure a person could apply for another extension without starting all over again. It is intended to be for those that cannot do their extensions.

Hi UJ,

I thought that during the amnesty period, the consequence of not extending your 1-year extension of stay when your permission to stay was due to expire, were twofold:

1 - being on over-stay (but fine possibly waived);

2 - not being able anymore to apply for the 1-year extension of stay as the window for doing so had expired, and thus having to exit Thailand and re-apply from scratch again.

= = = = =

But you are saying that 1 (being on over-stay)  is not correct, because your only way of regularizing that situation is to leave the country, and hence you would be covered by the amnesty.

So that means that the only consequence of not extending your 1-year extension of stay when your permission to stay was due to expire, would be that you would have to leave the country and start from scratch again.

>>> That would actually mean Good News for those that had no intention of extending their present 1-year extension (e.g. if you wanted to convert from an O-A Visa to an O - retirement Visa).  They would just have to let their present permission to stay expire, and once the amnesty is over, simply exit the country which would allow them to start over again from scratch (which was their intention all along).

Is that indeed correct, or would there be some 'hidden' consequences from doing so?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Provided your previous permission of stay from your last entry ended later than 26th March, then you can now stay until July 31st.

If you haven't already applied for a 60 day extension, you can apply for that when the amnesty end date is announced.

My original last day allowed in Thailand (as per my visa) is in June. I've been here since last year. Based on what you wrote, I think I should be good. 

Thanks for your help

From the Phuket News 

However, he did confirm the automatic visa extension does apply to all visa types.

Asked specifically whether the extension apply to one-year visas, he said, “Yes, the extension applies to all visa types.”

Surely if your one year extension/permission to stay is due between now and July 31st, you would just go and do it on the date you need too?, what would be the point in waiting?.

• Like 1

I just got off the phone from the Immigration Hotline 1178. 

I said that I originally had a Non-Imm O visa and have been doing annual retirement extensions for the last 10 years and my most recent 12 month permission to stay is about to expire and I asked am I covered by the amnesty announcement

the response was a clear yes - the annual retirement extensions are covered by the amnesty announcement - automatic extension of permission to stay to 31 July, no fine, no overstay, procedure for next extension to be announced close to July 31

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1