Are there Bangkok condos with HIGH speed fiber optic (200 mbps+)internet connections?

HidyHo

At my current older condo, we can't get anything above 75-100 mbps connection from any ISPs as the place isn't wired for it with no plan for an change.  I'm wondering if people are aware of condos that are wired for true fiber optic connections (ideally 1 gbps).  I'm currently subscribed to AIS 50/20 package that gets me something between 50-75 mbps.  I used to pay for 75 mbps package but AIS said they don't have that anymore and downgraded me (although I still get decent speed and it's been very very stable with very limited downtime at 399 baht per month).

I think most people that post about high speed internet connections live in a house but would love to be proved wrong about this. 

I'm primarily interested in Bangkok but am opened to know about other regions/areas as well.

Edited by HidyHo

I'm also in Bangkok and have same issue in 2010 condo near Ari. Only copper connections wired to the apartments. I'm with ais and whilst maintaining reliable 80/30 tested speeds they reduced my price. Ideally I would like full fibre but they said not possible. I will ask the "juristic person" if they will allow individual fibre connections if any ISP will do it. Anyone know what 3BB are like for fibre installations in condos? 

The problem is that it is difficult and expensive to install fiber optic cable into existing buildings. ISP's won't pay for that so it means the Juristic Person needs to pay which in turn means forcing all owners to cough up.

Might be viable in higher end condos but near impossible in cheaper ones.

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

The problem is that it is difficult and expensive to install fiber optic cable into existing buildings. ISP's won't pay for that so it means the Juristic Person needs to pay which in turn means forcing all owners to cough up.

Might be viable in higher end condos but near impossible in cheaper ones.

Our building has AIS fibre to the cabinet (installed in the basement comms room). Then Vdsl over copper to the apartment. I guess the problem now is getting fibre optic lines run to each apartment through existing ducting which I think near impossible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Our building has AIS fibre to the cabinet (installed in the basement comms room). Then Vdsl over copper to the apartment. I guess the problem now is getting fibre optic lines run to each apartment through existing ducting which I think near impossible. 

Yes that's the problem. VDSL speeds are still acceptable to the majority of people for now but sooner or later they won't be.

This is the issue! In my condo it’s the same, we have fibre into the building but then it’s copper up to your condo. Generally speeds are ok, by Thai standards.
Always remember, in Thailand , the real choke factor is the international link. When there is an issue with one of the main cable links into country then it does not matter how good your fibre is its slow for all of us.

I live at The Prime 11 on Sukhumvit Soi 11, and I can tell you that our building is 100% fibre optic capable to each rooms as in the last year we upgraded the wiring. Also you have the option to chose which provider you want to use. This is my speed right now using speedtest.net

Hope this helps.

Ais.JPG

• Like 2

The Diplomat Sathorn was constructed with fibre wired to each room. There is a fibre optic socket in the wall of the living rooms. The operator is True. You can have AIS, etc, but they have to use the copper cabling to each room.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dsj said:

I live at The Prime 11 on Sukhumvit Soi 11, and I can tell you that our building is 100% fibre optic capable to each rooms as in the last year we upgraded the wiring. Also you have the option to chose which provider you want to use. This is my speed right now using speedtest.net

Hope this helps.

Ais.JPG

Thanks for the info.  What package are you subscribed to, if I may ask?  It looks like you are using AIS as ISP.

Even if your Thai ISP can provide 200mpbs, you won't get that from any international connection - there's not anywhere near enough bandwidth into Thailand itself from the rest of the world... so it's not much use, unless you need 200+ for your local Thai website needs?

Note that speedtest above is to a LOCAL server... change it to somewhere International and then decide whether it's worth paying extra for... 75-100 is fine.

https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/files/1 Broadband-Infrastructure-in-the-ASEAN-9-Region.pdf

International bandwidth per capita :-

Thailand 6 Kbps (yes, that's K bps )

Singapore 258 Kbps

Malaysia 15 Kbps, and the rest all below Thailand.. so it could be a lot worse. ????

• Like 2

i have a friend who owns a unit in the Hyde on soi 13, i believe that building also has fibre all the way to the room. However as commented above its of limited extra value in Thailand if you are mostly accessing international servers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dsj said:

Hope this helps.

Ais.JPG

What happens to these figures if you use a VPN?  We have fibre to the house and the speeds are as advertised (True) however a VPN kills those speeds.  I wouldn’t go on the net without a VPN.

10 hours ago, coops said:

Even if your Thai ISP can provide 200mpbs, you won't get that from any international connection - there's not anywhere near enough bandwidth into Thailand itself from the rest of the world... so it's not much use, unless you need 200+ for your local Thai website needs?

Note that speedtest above is to a LOCAL server... change it to somewhere International and then decide whether it's worth paying extra for... 75-100 is fine.

https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/files/1 Broadband-Infrastructure-in-the-ASEAN-9-Region.pdf

International bandwidth per capita :-

Thailand 6 Kbps (yes, that's K bps )

Singapore 258 Kbps

Malaysia 15 Kbps, and the rest all below Thailand.. so it could be a lot worse. ????

I knew that the interconnection bandwith from Thailand was not great but never knew it was that low. I would estimate that most Thais are only consuming local contents though. What about Facebook, Youtube, Netflix etc. do they run mirror servers or cach servers locally in Thailand? Anyone know?

13 hours ago, blackcab said:

The Diplomat Sathorn was constructed with fibre wired to each room. There is a fibre optic socket in the wall of the living rooms. The operator is True. You can have AIS, etc, but they have to use the copper cabling to each room.

I was hoping that some of the newer condos (especially by Sansiri or Noble) would be fully fibre optic ready.

8 minutes ago, HidyHo said:

I was hoping that some of the newer condos (especially by Sansiri or Noble) would be fully fibre optic ready.

Ironically, you often get more choices in the old buildings.  In CM, 3BB went from the pole to my fourth floor unit...looked like <deleted>, but worked great.  Anything involving the condo front office is suspect.  Two years ago, I signed up for True, and everything was suppose to be free and easy, until the installer knocks on my door with the building engineer telling me I had to pay 2400 THB...I told them to GETTOUTT.  So what they say at the mall store may not be accurate.

Edited by moontang
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

I knew that the interconnection bandwith from Thailand was not great but never knew it was that low. I would estimate that most Thais are only consuming local contents though. What about Facebook, Youtube, Netflix etc. do they run mirror servers or cach servers locally in Thailand? Anyone know?

Yes they all have CDN servers regionally and in Thailand. That is one of the reasons using a VPN to e.g. USA is not always a good idea.

Waterford Sukhumvit 50 has AIS FTH (Fibre to home).

With the AIS 300/300 esports plan that's the speed I got. International and torrent speed was also great. They give you 2 router with 2x 300/300, but I disconnect the second one and still had ~571 Mbps down, not sure that's intended. I recently moved to Bangna to a house and only TRUE is available here (Fibre to the village and copper to the house 200/50), international speeds and torrents are a nightmare, have to use a seedbox server in Bangkok for torrents now, which works okay.

image.png.863fd3c66b709d5341b9fda856193247.png

To add my curiosity to the OP's post: 

In Pattaya (and immediate surrounding areas) are any condominiums or other dwellings fiber optic ready? 

Based upon my experience, hotels built or refurbished after cy2010 in Pattaya have reliable and fast (based upon my perception) internet speeds.  

Any info to share? Recommended ISP companies for reliable and fast internet service in Pattaya? 

(Within the constraints of Thailand's and Pattaya's infrastructure.)   Thx.

What I don't understand is that ISPs are willing to drag fiber cables to houses in Moobans, even in area with already competing ISPs for free and remain profitable , yet in condos, it's to the basement/electrical room only and the rest of the way to the rooms the whole condos has to bear the cost if the want fiber to the rooms... surely the denser condos means less work, just drop the cables down the riser shaft, any condos that they offer to rewire fiber to the room could have a captive customer

I use TRUE with a cable modem and WLAN connection to my PC.

I live in a condo in lower Sukhumvit.

A few weeks ago I called TRUE and asked them if they can upgrade my connection speed. They checked in their database and confirmed they can upgrade to 200/50.

I guess you can just call the provider and ask them in which are they support the speed you want.

Internet.png.3fe18b2c9b3f0d498e192997893706c8.png

skuebs ,i'm on the same esport 300/300 package... check your bill, they upgraded you to 500/500 no extra cost (x2, i use both with 2 nic cards, torrents use both connections)

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised

Definitely possible in condos.  The building that I am in was considering investing in the equipment to make it fiber ready. 

They could sign up with a provider (eg. AIS or True), who would subsidize capital costs and carry it out - but then the building would be locked into using that provider exclusively.

From what I understood, if the building pays for the capital costs, they can then collect a fee (toll) from the provider & more importantly not be locked into any one.

6 minutes ago, tpkhk said:

Definitely possible in condos.  The building that I am in was considering investing in the equipment to make it fiber ready. 

They could sign up with a provider (eg. AIS or True), who would subsidize capital costs and carry it out - but then the building would be locked into using that provider exclusively.

From what I understood, if the building pays for the capital costs, they can then collect a fee (toll) from the provider & more importantly not be locked into any one.

I would avoid proprietary systems in condos.  My parents lived in a gated community with proprietary phone and internet, and it was a money pit.  The condo needs to have control over the closet, but you don't want them owning what's inside.  Ever see a condo fix their own elevators?  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Greyhat said:

I'm curious what most people think they need 1Gbp/s tier speeds for. Unless you're into some serious stuff or torrenting like a champion it seems wholly unnecessary.

I've got VDSL 50down/20up from the basement in my condo, 2gb torrent files already download in reasonable time. It's only pings that can be on the high side for some games

11 minutes ago, moontang said:

I would avoid proprietary systems in condos.  My parents lived in a gated community with proprietary phone and internet, and it was a money pit.  The condo needs to have control over the closet, but you don't want them owning what's inside.  Ever see a condo fix their own elevators?  

I've seen a few third party company that lay fibers within condos and connect with any of the big 3 providers, this means the condos have to cough up the cost, and/or have 30-40% of the residents ready to sign up to fiber for them to go ahead.

exclusive deals with true probably means true get exclusive access for the duration of the contract, however long they need to be profitable, 2-3 years, after which any other isps could have access to fiber to the rooms, but more likely that 2-3 years later down the line when the true contract ran out, most of that condos already signed up to true, very little incentive to switch, any new isps would really need the conversion to bring in their node the basement

I'm in a 1980's built condo in Pattaya (Pratumnak).  I paid 7,000 baht to install directly into my condo, I'm on the 20th floor, it took a couple of hours and the service guys did a great job.  Actually I think 3BB said 6,000 but my Juristic person said she knew someone who would do it the next day, 7,000 baht so I went with that.  Speednet test 794/854 Mbps.   It vary's, using a VPN via Singapore or Australia I usually get anywhere between 60-150 down and about the same or slower up. 

DOWNLOAD Mbps
 UPLOAD Mbps
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I use TRUE with a cable modem and WLAN connection to my PC.

I live in a condo in lower Sukhumvit.

A few weeks ago I called TRUE and asked them if they can upgrade my connection speed. They checked in their database and confirmed they can upgrade to 200/50.

I guess you can just call the provider and ask them in which are they support the speed you want.

Internet.png.3fe18b2c9b3f0d498e192997893706c8.png

I was in an older and a true came out, tested and said max was 50.  When we moved it seemed all the very new bldg all had fibre. When we called AIS and gave them the address they only offered 50. When we called TRUE they offered 500/500 promotional package was less than we were quoted by AIS for 50 or that we paid True for 50 in our previous residence. We are in a month and all goes well. We are very happy. Supalai Loft

Screenshot_20200423-161225.jpg