Airbus pulls out of U-Tapao airport project

webfact

6 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Not exactly correct.....airline people have reported often that when flights resume in earnest, most flights will be extremely cheap....the thinking being that it will take quite a while for people to get back into the flight mode, and cheap flights will pave the way for increasing passenger and flight numbers

not in the long term though. They will go down for a while then gradually increase using covid prevention costs as the excuse. The big thing is people wont have any money for along time also. 2022 is when it may get normal again.

3 hours ago, tyga said:

The whole expansion of U Tapao makes no sense given the drastic turn of events. Every morning I see the earth movers clearing land for the second runway. This area was scrubland and a wonderful habitat for birds and other wildlife which would visit my garden. I can't see this runway being needed for a very long time. Same for the high speed rail link. Pattaya is doomed in its present state and size unless the Chinese tourists take up all the slack. So with no flights and no booming (pardon the pun) Pattaya, what's the point of an expensive rail link? Personally, I hope the whole U Tapao project gets scrapped because it was going to result in a lot of congestion, pollution and air traffic noise 24/7 over an lovely quiet area of Sattahip/Ban Chang. Already, all the main roads, and I do mean all of them at once are dug up and massively widened. The 332 makes no sense at all. Not content with ripping out all the mature trees on one side to put in 2 more lanes, they are now ripping out the trees on the other which would allow for around 10 lanes. Soon the motorway will be opened and the 332 redundant for all but local traffic by the time it is finished. Madness! None of this made any sense before and even less now, except for the contractors and the others directly involved. It is a tragedy to witness and not the first time I've witnessed the complete destruction of what was once a beautiful and tranquil part of the Thai countryside. So sad.

All part of the Eastern Economic Corridor or EEC, which will be hub for everything and anything, or so they hope.

It's written into the Constitution so, it will go ahead regardless of anything else.

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Not exactly correct.....airline people have reported often that when flights resume in earnest, most flights will be extremely cheap....the thinking being that it will take quite a while for people to get back into the flight mode, and cheap flights will pave the way for increasing passenger and flight numbers

Delusional thinking. The cheap flight and bucketshop longhaul holiday era is over. Better get used to flying less and paying more. AS this article citing the industry itself makes clear: 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/21/physical-distancing-will-end-era-of-cheap-air-travel-industry-warns

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

That's more or less exactly what some "experts' were saying after 9/11; after 2008.

There was massive business increases in video teleconferencing after 9/11. Lasted all of a few months!

People won't go back to giving up what they like. You underestimate people's ability to quickly forget what they don't like.

One person who clearly doesn't understand what has happened over these past couple of months to the economy and prefers to imagine fantasies of bounce-backs to normal. Oh well.....