Neither an apologist nor malcontent

Rotweiler

14 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Gee -- Smacks of Kipling and "The White Man's Burden"

Kipling and 'The Ladies' is far more applicable to Thailand.

"Now I aren't no 'and with the ladies,

For, takin' 'em all along,

You never can say till you've tried 'em,

An' then you are like to be wrong.

There's times when you'll think that you mightn't,

There's times when you'll know that you might;

But the things you will learn from the Yellow an' Brown,

They'll 'elp you a lot with the White!"

13 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

The way I look at it, if someone came into my home uninvited, perhaps even unwelcome, proceeded to put their feet up on the furniture and criticize everything about my home and me personally, but boast they wouldn't mind sleeping with my children...well I wouldn't be very happy with that situation.  If you haven't been asked for your criticism or advice then don't expect it to be welcomed with open arms.

What about if your home was known world-wide as a brothel (since 1750) and you had many rooms and ladies available for rent?

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What about if your home was known world-wide as a brothel (since 1750) and you had many rooms and ladies available for rent?

Any sh/t you'd be out of the door and not welcomed back!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

8E0569B7-1C1C-4EFF-B178-EA4BB3EF962F.jpeg

Driving right on top of the car in front of you so that accidents become 80% more likely, not indicating, in short, driving so bad that the accident rate is worse than most African countries, that is not a tradition. It is an avoidable problem that reduces quality of life for everyone.

Bad air is not a tradition. It is an avoidable problem that reduces quality of life for everyone.

Being inconsiderate to your neighbours, and keeping 5 dogs loose so they urinate everywhere, being loud, that is not a tradition. It is an avoidable problem that reduces quality of life for everyone.

Thai traditions are wonderful, food, massage, good manners. But when Thais get it wrong you should correct it.

You don't, because easier not to. Not a good thing, not in favour of Thailand.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2020 at 9:46 AM, Rotweiler said:

Do I complaint about anything here?  Damn right I do! 

You didn't complain enough, therefore you are in fact an apologist. Stop trying to disguise that fact. Wear the rose-tinted glasses proudly.

Fortunately other posters have added in the usual litany, turning the thread into another Thai bashing thread as it should have been from the beginning.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Driving right on top of the car in front of you so that accidents become 80% more likely, not indicating, in short, driving so bad that the accident rate is worse than most African countries, that is not a tradition. It is an avoidable problem that reduces quality of life for everyone.

Bad air is not a tradition. It is an avoidable problem that reduces quality of life for everyone.

Being inconsiderate to your neighbours, and keeping 5 dogs loose so they urinate everywhere, being loud, that is not a tradition. It is an avoidable problem that reduces quality of life for everyone.

Thai traditions are wonderful, food, massage, good manners. But when Thais get it wrong you should correct it.

You don't, because easier not to. Not a good thing, not in favour of Thailand.

No bad air problems as in the rice lands, bit of stubble burning but most baled these days so no real issue

Don't drive in Thailand, plenty of local drivers to run me anywhere, so no stress there

Neighbours are all family, children around, so dogs carefully monitored

Home safe distance from other property so very little noise maybe a rumble from thunder or a distant party

Don't really need to correct anyone,  insist my kids wear a helmet on the motorsi for their safety is about all, if I have concerns, quietly discuss them with my wife, I will either get explanation or she will decide if they have merit. I may not see immediate action, but sometime later my observations may bear fruit. Otherwise I accept my way is not always the best way and Thai people have survived without my input for centuries

Life is good

Appears my Thailand is not your Thailand - then again I am not my brothers keeper

• Like 2

Well, there is a very serious bad air problem in the two most desirable cities in Thailand.

Living in Thailand's equivalence of Missouri is not really an option if you like Amenities.

Don't drive. Well, thanks for that great idea, it's unfortunately not an option for some people.

So you admit that driving in Thailand is so outrageously bad that you don't even go on the roads yourself but you are of the view this does not need correcting? Ok.

Unfortunately my neighbours are not families and their dogs are not carefully monitored, there are packs of 5 dogs at any time of day running at cars, bicycle, pedestrians...you know this exists, but you think does not need correcting. Ok.

Life is good in Thailand, yes, but it could be better. There are things that need to be corrected. It's not for you to correct it, it is for Thai people. But they seem to have an inclination to do less than what most people consider very little.

The thing is all these issues could easily be solved. Lose dogs? A van sent to collect them. Bad air? Stop farmers burning fields. Awful driving? Send police to enforce traffic laws. All these things can be done, but unfortunately are not because Thais, and many expats do this:

Ostrich.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Oh dear, We all make choices - it appears you have chosen to make poor choices and are now trying to justify your lack of planning, subsequent failure to adapt, by attempting to change the whole of Thailand to your way of thinking , no wonder you are disenchanted, much easier to enjoy life by avoiding wasted effort trying to change and develop a nation that will rightly take its own sweet time in arriving where it wants to be.

Let me see now - since I have been a vistor to Thaialand over 30 years the moaning of foreigners has made no significant impression on 'dog control' transport' 'politics' 'wages' 'employment conditions' 'medical care,' 'the price of beer' 'agriculture' 'education' or the value of the baht.

Give it rest eh and let Thai people develop a Thailand they, and some of us more accommodating individuals, enjoy

But your argument takes itself ad absurdum.

If you say that for over 30 years Thais have done nothing to improve these issues then waiting for them to do something would be pointless.

The fact is that Thais HAVE done some things to improve matters, be it the bad air or other things, and you can bet the fact that Thailand was pilloried internationally has made that difference.

It was expats who recently succeeded in bringing down Spotlight Thailand, the racist Phuket page inciting hatred against foreigners. 

It was expats who drew attention to the abysmal situation in Thai zoos.

Criticism, where justified, does make a difference. 

And you know nothing about my choices, best to keep quiet about those things you don't know anything about, like you do about all the issues that need to be addressed in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rumak said:

555  yep,  the boasters are getting in their subtle boasts,   the roasters are , well, just staying in practice,   and a few children are having a brawl over in the corner.  

I am going out to look for some avocados.    Should I wear my Versaci jumper with my Armani scarf?            

Do not team either with your Gucci loafers, or the Valentino belt. You may use your LV satchel.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, villagefarang said:

have dealt with more bile and vitriol on this little sub-forum than perhaps anyone else,

Gee,  I am really sorry to hear that !   I can't imagine why that would be,  you seem like such a

nice chap.       I wonder if it has to do with you taking every opportunity to hijack a thread by turning into one about YOU.  

I do believe that this is about people on TV that are Thai bashers.   People seemed to be on

the right track until all of a sudden it was about your life and how you have to suffer at the

hands of some terrible people who do not like you. We all like you. 

As you are prone to tell others,   Please stay on topic .  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

The fact is that Thais HAVE done some things to improve matters, be it the bad air or other things, and you can bet the fact that Thailand was pilloried internationally has made that difference.

And yet, the air quality only gets worse ...... and for longer.

...... and as far as I can see everything else is getting worse too.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rumak said:

It seems like much of Asia now lives in these conditions,  so i can not just blame

Odd you should say that, but I've been to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Saigon at Songkran last year and this, they all had blue skies and fluffy clouds when Chiang Mai and Bangkok were covered with a drity grey blanket.

And when you're in the aircraft, all you can see on takeoff is a dirty grey fog, shortly after your flying about it, then as you leave Thailand you can see the ground again.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, villagefarang said:

I wrote the following recently.

"There are literally hundreds of topics out there proclaiming and championing the ugliness of the world we live in and filled with hateful combative language.  It is a virtual race to the bottom, to see who can be the most hateful, negative, vindictive and spiteful.  Look at how sad my life is, how mistreated and misunderstood my existence is.  Come one, come all, and celebrate my misery and affliction.

I have simply chosen to carveout a tiny space where I can share how I look at the world and live my life."

image.png

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And yet, the air quality only gets worse ...... and for longer.

...... and as far as I can see everything else is getting worse too.

Well, exactly, it is getting worse!

And because I live here, and I have a good life here I don't want it ruined by issues like bad air quality and Ugandan style driving.

That's why these things need to be discussed and raised. Precisely so that Thais realise that bad air quality is a problem for tourism..

They have done little things to address the air quality issue, but what they have done is not enough. They can do a lot more.

They can do a lot more to enforce proper driving and adherence to traffic laws.

They can send a van round and round up rabid soi dogs.

There's a whole lot they can do. But OF COURSE if everyone tells them everything is fine, they won't do a thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Odd you should say that, but I've been to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Saigon at Songkran last year and this, they all had blue skies and fluffy clouds when Chiang Mai and Bangkok were covered with a drity grey blanket.

And when you're in the aircraft, all you can see on takeoff is a dirty grey fog, shortly after your flying about it, then as you leave Thailand you can see the ground again.

I swear to God, I was in Bang Na, Bangkok recently, and the air was so bad I felt physically sick walking the streets.

It's worse than Chiang Mai.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Seems that CM is one of the worst, for sure.   I only look at the radar (fire hot spots) once in a

while...... seems like N Thailand,  Burma, Lower China   all  suck.   

Even here 70 km away from CM city our AQI  is usually much lower.   But not low enough 

Good to know , from your experience,  that the places you mention are faring better.

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

That's why these things need to be discussed and raised. Precisely so that Thais realise that bad air quality is a problem for tourism..

As i (often) say  :  I admire your optimism    ????

When it comes to Thailand,  or the world,  changing for the better,  undoing much of what has

IMO gone wrong,   I am definitely not optimistic. 

Here is where I , in a moment of unshackled honesty,  admit that what (name unmentioned)

says about finding and enjoying what one can control ...... is the path that I follow.

That does include , in fact mostly represents.  tending to my own garden first.

Even on TV  i try not to bash,  Thailand nor TV members.   But I am not shy about commenting when something really bothers me.    That is when my good friend Charlie sometimes calls  55

20 hours ago, villagefarang said:

One of the things which leads to an imbalance on the forum is that the malcontents love what they do.  You can warn, suspend, even ban them but they keep coming back to do more damage

Seems to describe one user we see a lot of let me give you a clue you are the yang to her yinn ????

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

When POTY game December, you “like” and “Thankyou” sticker many time people attack me. Many.

If you not do that I let you win. 

After i win, I say good job come second, many people like you. But you never answer. Bad looser. Still you sensitive.

Up to you.

Generally speaking you positive, not Thai basher.

You have superioty complex. Same me.

Rumak attack me a lot POTY game. I not care, now we freind.

Oh god lol ???? some people really take this seriously don't they?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

If foreign country come that time want to fight, we stop fight each other immediately and join together. Sure. 100%

Not want to invade other country same farang, colonial, world war, Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam etc etc. 

Burma. Before. Revenge must be paid.

Why would they need to fight? China just shows their wallet and you let them invade ????

• Haha 1

"Australia reject my visa. They give the visa to sex worker." Actually to get a visa to Australia  you have to be able to show that you have a full time job in Thailand(requires a letter from your employer), you have money in the bank to support your trip, you have to have ties to Thailand(family, husband, kids etc), a sex worker wont get a visa unless she can show these so she must have had full time employment  apart from sex work and had enough money, ties  etc. They wouldnt reject your visa unless they had a good reason, you must not have been able to meet the requirements or they thought you may do a runner once you get there and not return

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1