Under new standards, air conditioners must also clean the air

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

Don't get rid of the problem, make other people pay for it. This means they don't intend to tackle the burning problem.

progress has a price.. cars did not get less expensive when they added safety features.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:
4 hours ago, fruitman said:

They also should make them auto cleaning, it's a real pain to get the cleaning company to show up in time...i wished the aircons had disposable filters which we could change ourselves. 

Buy a roll of 3M Filtrete to put on the nylon filters in your aircon. Lasts up to three months depending on the dirtyness of your air. I bought a 15x96 inch roll off Lazada in February for Bht 425. It is now Bht 900 ! But it works.

I've tried that, the aircon still gets dirty since filtrete doesn't catch all dust....also you'll have to let the fan run harder in the aircon so it makes more noise.

I now have my own aircon cleaning set, same as the pro cleaners have...i won't let them ruin my mood anymore. There are no good aircon cleaners in BKK...they never come in time or don't come at all...

• Like 1

Well, I like the idea but I can agree with a lot of negativity. I hope this recent period of crappy air combined with Covid-19 inspires Thailand and the world to do better to end the pollution and clean up the environment. And maybe if we are really lucky, the idea of making an effort to reduce the world's population for a better planet in every way comes up too. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, stouricks said:

Buy a roll of 3M Filtrete to put on the nylon filters in your aircon. Lasts up to three months depending on the dirtyness of your air. I bought a 15x96 inch roll off Lazada in February for Bht 425. It is now Bht 900 ! But it works.

Good idea , should also work  on the cabin filters in your car, when you cant get replacement ones.

Ps. squirt a can of sanitizer in your AC recycling intake,( car also)

2 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Good idea , should also work  on the cabin filters in your car, when you cant get replacement ones.

Ps. squirt a can of sanitizer in your AC recycling intake,( car also)

It does work in the car, I did it with a few off cuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

I've tried that, the aircon still gets dirty since filtrete doesn't catch all dust....also you'll have to let the fan run harder in the aircon so it makes more noise.

I now have my own aircon cleaning set, same as the pro cleaners have...i won't let them ruin my mood anymore. There are no good aircon cleaners in BKK...they never come in time or don't come at all...

I am sure Filtrete is more efficient than no extra filtration, after two months mine was filthy (the Filtrete not the wife) ! If you follow 3M's YouTube instuction video, you must only cover about 75% of the nylon filter to prevent the fan from over-working. It says the Filtrete will catch the s..t the next time around.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And who's going to change the filter? Maintenance is a dirty word here.

First thing I do when checking into a hotel in Thailand is take the filters out the air .com units and run them under the shower head,you wouldn,t believe the debris and dead mosquitoes you find.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stouricks said:

425 Bahtwww.lazada.co.th/products/3m-filtrete-15x96-room-air-conditioner-filter-i262380028-s404072983.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.3ae37173u1zPHH&search=1

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

I am sure Filtrete is more efficient than no extra filtration, after two months mine was filthy (the Filtrete not the wife) ! If you follow 3M's YouTube instuction video, you must only cover about 75% of the nylon filter to prevent the fan from over-working. It says the Filtrete will catch the s..t the next time around.

It would be better to build a large box around the whole aircon with a very large filtrete filter on the inlet opening. I'm too lazy to build that but Daikin  should build them this way. Filtrete blocks the airflow so it needs a much larger surface to let enough air through.

Would be awesome if cleaning the aircon was just a matter of changing the filtrete paper and that's it. it can be connected with magnet strips (like in a fridge door) so it's changed in a minute. Cleaning aircon costs 500 baht (plus many hours time waiting), i will be happy to pay 750 for the filter if i can do it myself in a minute.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

That's probably because they just don't want to go to YOUR house.

We have a great bunch of aircon guys that come when they are called, they are efficient, polite, and clean.  But then I don't have a permanent scowl etched onto my face so that might help.

• Confused 1

More negative than positive comments. That shouldn't surprise me given the general negativity of posters on this site. I personally welcome the higher standards. I don't know what it will mean but perhaps as simple as better filters that need cleaning more often, even weekly. What is wrong with that?

I do know then when I leave my condo for a month I clean it before departure. When I get back there is always a fine dust settled on al surfaces. If that can be reduced and I'm not constantly breathing it in that must be a good thing. 

• Sad 1